Posts by bluemonkeyflyer

I'm in need of a single Yamaha HP-1 driver.  One side of a set I have was DOA, otherwise this set looks real good.   PM if you have one you don't need.   Thanks
Here's my re-cabled HP-50A. I used the stock wires from the Left cup to the Right cup.   Kapton Gold looks nice with these headphones.   I damped with the stock open cell foam and a disk of 4 mm dense, soft wool felt. Sounds great.   Thanks nick n!   No screws. Snap tabs hold the baffle to the cup.   Stock open cell foam damping. That's it.   Left channel on left; Right channel on right. Stock Mono wiring.   Re-cabled for stereo with navships (ebay...
I do, too! Frans has been very helpful to me in many ways over the past year. I'm amazed by his detailed and clear explanations and willingness to take so much time to help. We tried each other's measurement setups using WM61-A mics and REW and have had interesting discussions on his web site and by PM. His phantom power supply pre-amp is the best I've used. Frans' web site with many useful threads and tips. My favorite is Solderdude's Tech. Frans' web site measurement rig...
Here's a "Solderdude Frans" phantom power supply I built for a good friend.                Resistors: 6.8, 2.2, 100 kOhm Capacitors: 4.7 and 100 uF 3.5 mm TRS jacks (wired for Mono per REW requirements): Left jack = Mic IN, Right jack = Signal OUT to sound card All connections tested with DMM and super glued in place Metal tin for shielding Circuit grounded to metal tin   Works great with REW and Panasonic WM61-A omnidirectional mic capsule. Low noise...
 Looks interesting. You'll need a method for coupling the headphone to the prosthetic ear for a good seal. I don't think this will work any better than other methods, just differently. You'll still be limited to comparing measurements you make relative to other measurements you make, not to others' measurements.  I don't think  prosthetic ear will offer any benefits beyond those using simpler methods. Choose a setup, stick with it, learn its strengths and weaknesses, and...
Yes, they are beauties in great condition.  And I owe you! I look forward to taking them for a "spin" once the re-cable job is complete. 
I "better get to steppin" on mine, then.
 I tried John Conover's tube-to-baffle with rubber bands setup. It works but I prefer the "In my own ear" (IMOE) method. Here's why: 1. I made all FIMMs with this method. 2. I have made well over 1000 measurements with this setup, in addition to FIMM, so IMOE works best for me. 3. Standardization is paramount for "within measures" comparisons...i.e. comparing measurements of headphone "A" to headphone "B"; comparing tweak 1 with tweak 2, etc. To optimize standardization,...
To my "ears and gears" yes. I made this mod to see if I could do it without destroying the diaphragm and snap tabs = Success. I have been busy with many other projects and put damping/measurements on the back burner. I will eventually get back to it and share what I learn. Thanks for the interest.
 Very nice work, MuZo2. I'm happy to see you and others are using measurements to help dial-in modifications. Are you planning on sharing any of the details about your measurement kit (phantom power circuit, type of mic, sound card) and damping scheme? Many people will be interested...including me. Thanks!