Posts by bluemonkeyflyer

Thanks for the help.
I cannot find a modification thread using the search function.    I just got Momentums for $79 from an Amazon sale. The build is very good. Their comfort is good but the bass sounds sluggish and sloppy that causes bass bloat, IMO.  I want to clean it up; make it tighter and unveil the mids.   Does anyone have tuning suggestions?   How are the pads removed?   Thanks,   BMF
 On second look, the copper tracings appear to be the same as T50RP.  T50RP TH500RP
What is the source for the linked photo? The baffle has 3 sets of vents. The exploded diagram shows what looks like 3 sets of "covers" for the 3 baffle vents. The "covers" appear to be damped with...?...semi-permeable material similar to the white damping material on the back of the driver. I wonder how, if at all, they damped T500RP cup space? Removing the white damping material from the rear side of one grid space on T50RP results in BOOMY BASS BLOAT into the mids....
Monolith comes first. I hope the diaphragm works for you.Thanks for your help with the wave guides.
 I think you meant 91.5 mm diameter instead of radius, yes?   :-) There is ~ 6.8mm clearance from the rear side "base" where the screws and slots are located to the top of the "ledge" where the grille sits. If the Wave Guide is 5mm in height, that will leave only about 1mm for the Wave Guide "foundation" and 0.8 mm for the rear side damping that includes one layer of thick felt and one layer of thin felt with the grille on top. So, I think it may work best to use ~1.5mm...
 Good to hear the T50RP diaphragm finally arrived. Here are the other LCD2 v1 dimensions.  Thoughts?  Thanks so much for all your help with CADs for T50RP and LCD2 v2 Wave Guides!
Random Thoughts On Modification of T50RP and Other Planar Magnetic Headphones   Reducing or closing the baffle port will increase bass at the risk of increasing bass bloat into the mids and veiling treble frequencies.   Sealing all the cup vents will reduce bass too much. Bass will sound even more rolled off and thinner than stock configuration. Treble may become more pronounced. Mids may sound more upfront.   Significantly reducing the cup vents to a single opening...
 Thanks for this information. I wonder if there is another variable that might be responsible for the impression that the bass quality/quantity is changed when uisng the Fazor? Some additional variables to consider include a thinner diaphragm, different rear side damping materials and their configuration, higher impedance, different magnets (strength and layout), and diaphragm tensioning. It will be interesting to test for this effect with T50RP.
Grzegorz, I agree with you about putting wave guides on the T50RP rear side unless the paper damping material is sacrificed. I have a couple of sets without the damping paper that I can try rear wave guides on. I think 3D printed wave guides on the ear side, however, are feasible if the ultra thin dust cover is cut removed. The design with 7 wave guides may be too much but I think the one with 4 wave guides could work. It would be fun and informative to try both if they...