or Connect

Posts by bluemonkeyflyer

The QRV-08 is very challenging. It has 300 SMD components and somewhere around 900 solder joints. It's sometimes difficult to determine the part labels printed on the PCB requiring a careful study of the schematic and circuit traces layout. The SMDs are mostly 0805 caps/resistors (2.0 x 1.25mm) and SOT23 transistors (2.8 x 1.5mm). IIRC, the ICs have a pitch of ~ 0.75 and there are 14 of those. Having said all that, with experience/practice, a few simple techniques, and the...
@Armaegis,   I don't think I can add anything substantive to your excellent review and description of HP-1. I liked HP-1 a lot during my brief audition. It's very clean with balanced FR, good punch, smooth mids, good treble extension/air/details, and wide soundstage.   I compared HP-1 to several amps including my QRV-08. I like both very much. Despite measurement differences posted by Tom, I could not hear any difference in sound quality. I used SPL matching, an...
Just completed and tested...sounds great!           Here are my first two:      
Reserved
'solderdude' has designed numerous DIY amps, power supplies, and much more...all free to the DIY community. He's also the designer of garage1217 tube amps and power supplies. He runs a very informative site HERE with tons of DIY information, guides, tutorials, and a blog about amps and headphones. All DIY'ers should check it out! His build guides, with photos and instructions are peerless and he's very responsive to newbie questions.   I'm currently building solderdude's...
OK. I have what you need. PM me.
Neurochrome HP-1 arrived today. I'm looking forward to taking it for a test drive.  
 Are you sure about the screw? Do you need the Front Hanger Holder Ref No. 8... or Connector B Ref No 5? The Front Hanger Holder Ref No. 8 needs the screw with Ref No. 20. The Screw with Ref No. 21 secures Connector B, Ref No. 5. 
I ordered the Neurochrome PCB, yesterday. After reading your excellent review, I'm glad I did. Well done and very detailed review! Many thanks.~ BMF
Here's what works pretty well: Apply liquid flux to a corner pad and dab a little bit of solder on it. Align the component with micro-tweezers using a magnification headset. Apply more flux and hold the IC in place with tweezers with a bit of downward pressure. Reflow the joint within 1 or 2 seconds and the pin will settle onto the pad. Flux the other side on the diagonal pin of the IC. Solder it and then solder each pin using generous amounts of flux and as little solder...