New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by bluemonkeyflyer

25 hours. I used my DMM to verify every component was the correct value and within spec before soldering. I also tested after soldering for resistance and capacitance where possible and continuity with other connected bits. There are over 700 solder joints, IIRC, so testing took longer than soldering. Hard lessons learned from other builds convinced me it's better to go slow and measure on the front end and fix problems as they occur. I've spent more time trying to track...
Neurochrome HP-1 Headphone Amplifier Build: February 2017 BMF Flyer Pictures, below...   Prelude   I like a lot of different amps. I enjoy building DIY amps and it’s fun “rolling” amps, so to speak…solid state, all tube, and hybrids. So, which one sounds best? Well, for me it depends… on the day, the music genre, the mood, the quality of the recording, and the headphones to mention some of the variables involved in producing “sound quality” and audio...
Great choice.I just ordered 2 more sets plus 12 filter boards.
I can't tell which one is detached. Is it the top driver, red wire?In any case, if the solder pad is not torn off it's an easy fix if you know how to solder. Apply liquid flux to the solder pad and the detached wire. Place the wire on top of the pad and hold it down with a plastic spudge or mini screwdriver so it maintains contact when you apply heat from your soldering iron. Make sure you first tin, clean off the tin on a moist sponge or preferably brass wool, and repeat...
post a close up picture.If it's ripped off, a repair will be difficult.I've replaced several for guys who did the same thing. I have one driver diaphragm left.
The Price:Performance of Kameleon v2 with various filter modules is excellent. It's also easy to build and sounds very good. This is another example of Frans' creativity and generosity to the DIY community.          
Mo, I don't know exactly the total cost because I ordered a lot of extra parts from mouser and digi-key for other projects. The PCBs for the power supply, amp, and filter modules is ~ $45 shipped. As a rough guess, I'd say to build the amp as I did cost me ~$150.00 which is cheap compared to other amps I've built and currently building. Sjostrom QRV-08 costs about $250.00 and Neurochrome HP-1 about $850.00...I'm done with QRV-08 and almost done with HP-1. If you're looking...
Hi micmacmo, It's good to hear from you!  I have not tried Kameleon v2 with low cost headphones. So far, I've only made filters for HD650, DT990 Pro 250 ohm, and the "no filter" straight gain module. HD650 and DT990 now sound very much the same...Flat...I like flat. So, I conclude you can use either one for virtually the same sound quality. I expect this will prove true for most, if not all, the headphone filters that Frans has actually measured and where he used the...
I finished my Kameleon v2 Desktop Amp and Power Supply. I also built the "No Filter" Gain Module and the Sennhesier HD-650 Filter Module. The sound quality with the HD-650 filter is better than stock: deeper sub-bass, flattens the slight mid-bass hump, and delivers more details. I'm going to build filter modules for each of my headphones following Frans' guides. They are surface mount "SMDs" but they're "huge" 1206 packages and easy to solder in place. Each one takes about...
I have the amp, gain board, and power supply almost finished. To avoid EMI, I installed the amp and power supply in separate Hammond enclosures per Frans' excellent and detailed build guide. I used digital calipers, multiple drill bits, and a step drill bit for making precise round holes that perfectly align with the TRS, Mute switch, Vol Pot, Neon Power Switch, RCAs, and DIN connectors. I have a Dremel Moto bench-mounted saw inbound from Amazon I hope will make tooling...
New Posts  All Forums: