Posts by derbigpr

Simply get an integrated amplifier with a headphone output, HD650's will work great out of it. No need to go into something exotic.
   I wouldn't call them mid-fi, they're definitely hi-fi, one step below high end. As I said, they match and beat T1's in certain areas and there's not a significant loss of sound quality in direct comparison. Difference compared to HD558's is bigger.
They dont really compare. 558s are good open back headphones, but they sound very mid-fi compared to 701 and 990. They just cant match the detail, quickness, clarity, separation, etc. Simply put, theres nothing they do as good or better than either of those two, its like comparing 558s to 650s.
Very similar. If you really want me to split hairs, then I'd say K701 is very slightly more spacious sounding, slightly wider and more expanding soundstage, 990 is a bit warmer overall, with bit more weight in the bass and a more fluid, wet bass, while 701 has a slightly tigher, less impactful and drier bass. Mids are more natural on 990s, things just sound more realistic on then, but 701 has a bit more forward mids. But again, taking 990s off and putting on 701s sometimes...
DT990's are really underrated on this site I find. There are all kinds myths about them like being overly bright, having a muddy bass or having weak mids. None of them true, unless you use them with an inferior setup. These are headphones in the same league as the K701 or HD650 and above DT880 in some ways (talking from experience of owning them all). With a great amp and source these can be some of the most natural and realistic sounding headphones out there. They...
 Well, I've heard my T1's on some of the best headphone amps out there, tube and SS, including the Beyerdynamic A1, Violectrics, Lehmann BCL, several Bursons, several tube amps, etc. , so I don't think I can widen my frame of reference much more, since I pretty much know how they sound when powered by a high end amp and DAC, and I have a pretty good reference to be able to tell what sounds good and what doesn't. I've owned more than 10 various headphone amps in the last 2...
   Well, I did test out over 30 intergrated amplifiers and receivers with my T1's, and most of them sounded better than any of the <500 dollar headphone amps I've heard and had SIGNIFICANTLY more power as well, so I don't think I'm talking out of my ass. I just didn't try any old vintage ones and wonder what is it about them that makes them so good compared to new ones.  Of the ones that I found good....pretty much every Marantz, NAD, Cambridge Audio, Naim, Denon, Onkyo,...
Can I ask something? What is it about vintage amps and receivers that people like so much when it comes to driving headphones? I've never tried a vintage piece for headphones, but most Marantz and other older stuff I've heard with speakers sounded considerably worse than todays amplifiers,  so why do people assume that their headphone outputs sound better than todays intergrated amp or receiver headphone outs? I've tried plenty of new integrateds and receivers and they all...
10.7kg 13.6kg 19.1kg
 I've never in my life, never ever, and I've sent quite a few emails for technical support, had a proper answer to my question. Sometimes they don't answer at all (*cough* Musical Fidelity *cough*). It seems that people who answer these email's as a rule are totally clueless about the things you ask them about, and just have a pattern or a list of answers that they can offer you depending on the type of question you ask. They're most definitely not engineers of technically...