or Connect

Posts by derbigpr

It's an inexpensive device, but if you took the components out of it and checked how much they're worth, you'd realize they're worth about 10-15 times more than the components in that Lehmann headphone amp that costs twice as much. Why is the Marantz so cheap then? Because of economics of scale. 90% of headphone amplifiers on the market are very, very small production volume items. Even stuff that is very popular here on head-fi is not very popular in the real world and...
I wonder how many people are going to be fooled into paying extreme amounts of money for this amp just because of the marble, which takes literally 2 minutes to design in any CAD program due to how simple the design (or lack of it to be precise) is, and any quarry and stone worker will make an exact copy of it for about 500 dollars, yes even out of carrara marble. Hell, give me 500 dollars, and in 24 hours you'll have an exact shape amp enclosure with all holes cut,...
  "It was not too expensive..." -  Marble is NOT as expensive as people think.  This marble casing was probably cheaper to manufacture than it would if they machined a solid piece of aluminium.
Most people who dislike the marble ignore the fact that a lot of people who will buy this have homes where a marble amp would fit nicely. IMHO I don't like it because it reminds to of grave stones too much.
 I can't for the life of me figure out what Isone settings do. Whatever know I turn I hear very minimal if any change, I just can't set up my own profile, and the already preset profiles are too aggressive to me. I like Meyers Crossfeed on 2nd setting, because I feel like it doesn't mess with proper stereo recordings much, in fact,playing binaural songs and turning the plugin on and off barely sounds any different. But with old songs, like Beatles - Yesterday, there's a...
I gotta give props to whoever  makes the drivers for these headphones.   Basically, I'm using the HD681Evo drivers for a project of mine, bought a pair of these just for the drivers, sort of threw the rest of it away, because I just need the drivers for a 3D printed headphone I'm currently making, and basically, this project involves super gluing a piece of plastic onto a magnet  of the driver to hold it tightly in place and stiffen in to reduce vibration, just at this...
 The earpad lip slides between that red plastic and the black plastic baffle where the driver is. There's about 1 mm of space between them. Don't worry, the actual lip (the little rubbery part that slides into those holes) of the earpad is VERY strong, you won't break it, I put that ear pad on Sennheiser HD438 headphones which are like 1 cm bigger in each direction, and the rubber on the ear pad stretched out with no problems. Make sure not pull the actual earpad, the...
  Exactly like this.
  It takes 5 minutes (+ putting the varnish and lacquer on) to make one of those cups on the lathe, they're worth 30-40 dollars tops, material and work, ask any woodworker who makes furniture and he will tell you that. Just saying, people think wood is much more expensive than it is, and think it's much harder to work with it than it actually is.  In fact, nowadays if you have a CNC machine for wood (which every modern woodworker has) you can produce them like popcorn....
  Just pull them off, they have a lip that slides over the edge of plastic on the earcup, just like any other earpad of that type. It's a bit tight, but don't worry it won't break. It's stated you cant' replace them because they probably don't sell them.