Posts by derbigpr

Of course they're not gonna be my main listening headphones, but I have to say, with this EQ (changed it further) they actually sound very good, like very good for the money.  It's absolutely amazing how badly they're tuned out of the box, but also how great they react to EQ'ing.  Turning the EQ on and off while listening to a track makes them go from good to absolute garbage.  What's most staggering is that the Razer software that you're supposed to install has a Kraken...
I played with Krakens a bit, and discovered that the reason for their muddiness is a huuuuge boost between 100 and 600-700 Hz, probably 10-15 db above neutral. So I played with an EQ, whatever I did, I could not make them sound neutral, however, I did find a nice V-shaped balance. The mids are recessed, especially lower mids (they have to be, otherwise they're muddy due to flaws in physical headphone design), however, highs are present, and bass is still present, but quite...
  They are regular Krakens, not the Pro, the one without a microphone, but I believe they're identical in every other way, their specs are the same too, they use the same drivers.  They were not refurbished, they're brand new, never opened, I got them in a store, didn't order online. It's not like they sound broken, they just sound like garbage. Honestly, going from Krakens to HD202's is like moving up to a high end audiophile setup. Mids and highs are horrible, they sound...
I bought the Razer Kraken as a joke since I saw them on this list of extremely bass heavy headphones. Holy fu**ing s**t are they bad. They are criminally, unbelievably bad, it's mind blowing to me how a product like this can exist on the market for that msrp, and how some people think it sounds amazing. I never ever heard worse headphones before. Even though I got them on a discount for like 40 dollars, I feel ripped off. If I had bought these for actual use other than...
  I just want to add that simply having angled drivers will not simulate speakers in any way. First of all, the angle is very slight, nowhere near the angle you'd get from properly placed speakers. I have the T1's, and even if I put them on backwards, which, if it made a big difference, should totally ruin the sound, it doesn't ruin it, the imaging is still 90% there, despite drivers being angled backwards. Center image is still exactly as strong as when wearing the...
  It's because of less modifications done to the original recording, it's closer to being just raw material. Studio albums are mostly screwed up by studio engineers who do way too much to the original recordings and more often than not totally ruin the sound, because most of them have no clue about what they're doing, they just add a whole lot of eq's, reverbs and all kinds of effects that end up making the final recording, especially vocals, sound unnatural. You should...
   Why do people complain about marketing of certain products made by certain companies but don't complain when some guy in the basement makes a headphone amp and puts a 5000 dollar price on it? This is probably far better engineered and manufactured than a lot of much more expensive "audiophile" amps or DAC's.  Judging by my current experience with 1k dollar plus headphone amps and DAC's, and soundcards, I'd say this will be another giant killed like the Asus Essence One...
Guys, remember, every time you say you like this headphone and would pay a lot for it, the price of the headphone goes up. So, for the sake of a reasonable price...I'll say: Eeeeeeeww what an ugly headphone. I bet it will suck, I'd pay 200 dollars for it, tops.     Now it's your turn.
  Almost nobody does that.  It's a misconception. I know there was also a thread on head-fi with some guy who was sending emails to loads of manufacturers asking them about how they make headphone outputs, and pretty much everyone uses speaker outputs with resistors. The only amps that use separate headphone circuits are high end amps that actually use high end headphone amp sections that sound better than just using speaker outputs.  High end Marantz amps for example do...
 That's a nice theory that a lot of people think is true, but it's actually not. Last year I had a little "quest" during which I tested integrated amps, receivers and all kinds of devices (even my used-to-be-high-end Panasonic plasma TV) to see what kind of headphone outputs they have.  As a rule, all integrated amps have great headphone outputs. Even the cheap entry level amps from Marantz, Denon, NAD, Cambridge Audio, etc. have excellent headphone outputs with MORE power...