or Connect

Posts by Dr J

From what I read, the Lollipop natively outputs everything at 48kHz, resampling all sources to this frequency. This is one of the reasons I have not yet upgraded yet to Lollipop. I would need to first ensure that e.g. Tidal and Deezer and preferably Spotify, in addition to UAPP, can output bit perfectly 16bit/44.1KHz. This works in my Sony Xperia Z3 compact with Andoid 4.4.4.
 You would need a "USB on the go" cable with right connectors, possibly via a powered USB hub or the Schit Wyrd I mentioned if the power draw is too much for the phone or some other compability issues. DanBa publishes every now and then a very comprehensive info package on these in this thread, I would recommend checking that for compability and possible cables, and also searching in this thread.
 Yep, saw your post earlier, but if I understood correctly this post was on what DAC I considered best. My earlier question on GO with Xperia just got quoted again as part of the post. However, on that topic, the trick and one of the reasons I went for the ODAC for regular use instead of GO was that my IEM impedance is around 24 Ohm with wide variation of impedance across frequencies, and I suspect 47 Ohm output impedance would play havoc with the frequency response (going...
 Hi REXNFX, well, best depends on your intended usage and preferences, as usual. My goal was to build one that is smallest possible but still high quality sound portable set for commuting and flights with IEMs. In addition, I wanted to build another transportable high quality sound set for office use where the size is not so critical but I am using orthos so a bit more robust amp is needed. I selected the DACs and amps based on form factor and reading reviews on sound...
 Thanks for sharing your experiences, kostaszag and m-i-c-k-e-y. It seems these are general issues then (as opposed to my specific GO individual having issues). I started browsing the Geek out threads for the information there. I may go with the ODAC with external power instead of GO for now due to the glitches. JDS Labs has an extra small case variant for ODAC that might be good for a small portable stack. In any case, the GO gets so hot that for my use case of keeping it...
Thanks for the proposal and information on your experiences, peter123.   I have been a bit wary of the upgrade to Lollipop after one Samsung Galaxy S4+ stopped working with any USB DACs it used to work with earlier, after upgrade from Android 4.4.x to 5.0.x... And several others have had similar problems with various phones.   Your comment provides a second data point I have seen of a Sony Xperia Z3 (compact) still working with USB DACs after the Lollipop upgrade, so...
Testing Geek Out 450 and sharing some experiences in case useful for others.   There seemed to be relatively few reports on whether GO works different phones. Also, UAPP lists the compatibility as highly phone dependent.   -------------   Sony Xperia Z3 compact with stock Android 4.4.4. and UAPP/Spotify/Walkman/Tidal/Deezer --> USB-OTG-cable --> Geek Out 450 --> Amp:   Does not work. Either gives a "too much USB power draw" error or just fails to recognize the DAC...
 I am exploring a similar setup, please see my earlier post for some results using a couple of combined hubs+card readers: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6630#post_11534741. I did not notice any obvious sound quality issues (drop-outs or similar) when using a Y-cable to provide supplementary power to the hub+card reader, but without extra power you often need to plug in the equipment in the right order to avoid error or glitches due to drawing...
 Not necessarily, please see my and other people's earlier posts on trouble with the 5.0.x (on e.g. S4+). Lollipop seems to be a different story to Kitkat, where DanBa's summary post gives a solid list. To be fair, there seems to be a newer Android version update for S4+ than I have, so might be that fixes things. At least there are a few recent post that would seem to suggest that.
 I am presently listening with Sony Z3 compact, Android 4.4.4, UAPP/Walkman/Spotify/Deezer/Tidal players --> Transcend or Hama card reader/hub with Kingston 256GB SDXC card --> Schiit Wyrd --> Schiit Modi2. Reliability of this set-up is increased by using a OTG USB Y-cable from the phone (data) and external battery (additional power) to the card reader/hub (USB current limitations?). With external power, the set-up is pretty much plug and play in which ever order you...