Posts by LugBug1

^^Nice one thanks for that :)    Yes Brendel is king of Schubert! 
Madness!      (that wasn't specifically directed at anyone... Just wanted to say it again for my own sense of humour)
Any good speakers shouldn't be too colored, but will sound like whatever room/space they are in. Studio monitors are designed to give accuracy at close range. So in that respect they may sound better in that kind of environment... Thats the only thing I can think of that he means?    But I personally think its a none starter of an argument, one appears to be inside your head and the other fills the room. Minute details will always be clearer on good hp's simply because...
Released only yesterday, Barenboim Schubert Piano Sonatas. You get the last 6 sonatas and also numbers 13/14/9/7/4 on 5 cd's.    Early days (no reviews as yet) but I'm finding it hard to find any fault. In fact, these new recordings could be up there with the very best! His touch is remarkable in its gentleness and force - a very good balance, rather than stroking the keys one moment and then trying to smash them the next (as quite a few Schubert interpreters do)....
Congrats and pleased you're enjoying it buddy!  How is the normal stereo sound without tone added compared to your Fisher? 
Liszt's transcriptions of Schubert's songs are one of Liszt's greatest achievements imo. Schuberts haunting melodies carved out and shaped beautifully. Beautifully played here by the Liszt champion Jorge Bolet. He only recorded a few of these transcriptions which is a big shame. There are other recordings out there that give you all of them but none that matches Bolet's silky technique. Absolutely essential listening!   
Absolutely.   I still find it hard to believe that Sir Peter Maxwell Davies has just finished his stint as the Master of the Queen's music here in the UK. He is one of the most uncompromising modernist's of the last 50 years and heavily influenced by Schoenberg's techniques.  
Again you have missed my point. I wouldn't have wanted Prok or Shost to go atonal - I love their music as it is! My point was, I was defending their earlier angst ridden music that Stalin disagreed with and that it was not (and still not) part of the mainstream repertoire even though there are people like myself that love these works. And just because they aren't played for the masses doesn't mean that they are not any good.  I suggest that you start listening to more...
Well to be fair, the standard canon is always going to cater for the masses. That's why the X-Men film's fill the box office too. (did you go?) It was 70 years after JS Bach died that lots of people first started enjoying his music.... Another 50 before it got accepted into any standard repertoire. Though it is a fact that lots of people have been enjoying Schoenberg's music all his life/death and to the present day. But as has already been discussed; some high art takes a...
I've only recently came across him, I need to check out his Chopin next thanks :)  Some great reading with my morning coffee guys.  (Mambosenior you are certainly not crashing the party! I love your posts.)