Posts by LugBug1

This is probably the best we have recently imo, some of the tempo's may seem fast compared to an earlier reference from Karajan 63 for example and is more Toscanini in that respect. But I would recommend it over most Beethoven symphony cycles as a whole both modern and new. The 9th's finale is one of the best I've heard period. The Eroica is well paced and doesn't slow to an almost grinding stop during the funeral march as a lot conductors like to exaggerate. The 5th is...
I would look into spotify, it opened a whole new world up for me. A huge catalogue of classical with loads of historical recordings and new releases are added sometimes on the same day they are released. Nothing like owning the record or cd, but its nice to check them out first sometimes. The sound quality is very good on premium. 
Its so true, I have to keep telling myself you can't judge a book by its cover.. EMI and Decca are the main culprits. 
But she only stars in cling films..   Autumn set up looking very promising Silent One!    
 For a timeless classic.   But for something more recent.   Ignore the old critics huffs and puffs on Lisitsa's youtube claim to fame that initially snubbed her in early press reactions. Sometimes the general public have a better 'ear' as a collective than any musical snob who refuses to budge from his beloved record collection - constricted with the ideals/interpretations burnt into his brain from a golden age of the past.  I came across Lisitsa's first recording (this...
Beethoven... Wasted time!  Never!!  This would be my recommendation :)   I would also look into Schoenberg's Moses und Aron for the ultimate atonal opera (I posted a new recommendation of this on here not too long ago)  
I've completely fallen for Gerald Barry's new Oscar Wilde opera "The importance of Being Earnest".     I am a little biased here because I love everything Barry has produced. His music is manic, crazy and very cleverly orchestrated. But most importantly it is hugely entertaining! Hats off to NMC for such an important recent release :)   Thomas Ades conducts
+1 Amazing set up
Hmmm.. for me it can get a little stale. Certainly not in the later orchestral works where he incorporated elements within, but his piano works for instance can almost seem like he is obsessed with it rather than utilising it. He takes folk dances and plays around with them - exploring different angles till he exhausts them and sometimes they really sound exhausted! Problem with folk music is that it is very limited when used in blocks by itself. Lots of composers use folk...
Adam Fischer with the Hungarian SSO on Nimbus Records is rather good as well, not a full survey but most of the main orchestral works. Great sound to boot!     Double cd below        @perhapss I still stand by the Boulez as a great and cheap overlook of all the main orchestral works but I totally hear what you are saying in regards to Boulez not highlighting the folk elements. Boulez opinion was that Bartok's later works weren't as good as his earlier works. This...