Posts by LugBug1

Nooo.. It's got terrible hair for a start! 
Yes, you could literally spend a lifetime listening to Bach's keyboard works with a constant fascination. The breadth of invention and imagination is second to none imo :) I'll try and explain what I mean by "the playing is very Bach" in my usual layman's terminology haha. Here goes; Whether you are a collector of music or a musician (I'm both) and you focus on a particular artist - you can kind of build an image or standard generalization of the music and with this comes...
Now thats what I call a bedside rig! Not even room for a glass of water! (though I wouldn't perch my HD800's on the table corner like that. You're clearly a risk taker..)  Look forward to you impressions . 
^^ I've been lucky enough to see (first two parts) of the Ring at the Sage Gateshead under the direction of Richard Farnes and Opera North. The hall isn't ideal for such a huge opera and so it was basically the orchestra on stage with the singers static in front. There was a large screen with gentle visuals as a backdrop, designed to complement rather than keep you visually stimulated. I spent most of the performances with my eyes closed enjoying the live score from the...
That looks sooo cool!! Congrats.  2.5 Ohms  I'm shocked at such low impedance on an old amp - I mean we are talking about 1979 here!   Pleased you're enjoying it buddy.   (I think we should just keep this one to ourselves... Don't want the price of these bad boys going up n' all. I'll not say anything outside this thread if you don't )
I've heard bits of the Preston and yes it is very lively! Nothing wrong with that of course. But like most complete survey's theres never going to be a perfect one. The Toccatas and fugues are amazing with Preston, where a little more 'life' can very much add to them in a positive way. The mechanical nature of Bach's contrapuntal writing can often seem.. well  'mechanical', especially with all the repeats. Suppose thats why we all love Gould! I think Herrick has hit a...
I really like the way Karajan approached the Ring when he was still at his peak in the 60's. He focused on the score and brought a different dimension to it. He really brought out the beauty of the orchestral writing. The Boulez set is quite similar in that respect and I appreciate that one too. It is Wagner's orchestral writing and opera structure that never ceases to amaze me. Both these recordings are ideal for studying it or putting it under the microscope. Both...
My first box set was Bohm's Ring cycle. Loved it at the time but its probably my least favorite now of the more famous Ring sets. I rate both Solti and Karajan's (late 60's) over it.      Talking about box sets does anyone have Bach's complete (or near complete) organ works? This is my choice. Lovely sound and the playing is very "Bach" (if there is such a thing :).