Posts by LugBug1

I've never met a nice down to earth hifi salesman yet... On top of the body odour (yes they all have this as well) most of them would throw their Granny in for a quick sale. I'm a bit soft when looking for a deal and as a result I've bought 3 Granny's, two Mothers and a cat called Margaret over the years.... Best to buy off tinternet - much safer and easier!  
I love the Janecek quartets. You may also want to look into his opera - 'The cunning little vixen' is a wonderful introduction to his soundworld and very accessible. I have to agree here. I love going to the opera but if I know the story back to front I really don't need to see it in order to fully enjoy it in my own mind with headphones on.  Of course if it is an opera that I'm new to, I will do my best to see it or at least get familiar with story.  And even...
Haha, well said my friend (and I should love him in that respect!!). Yeah it may seem I'm picking on him tonight but its been a long time coming. :/ But no-one can say that I haven't put the time and effort in... !  
I don't either :) that was my point. And the word 'episodic' would be more appropriate if his symphonies made more sense as a whole (as well as the parts at times).  Yes, I should lay more claim to his songwriting which is much more focused/communicated and often very beautiful. Bare in mind I've heard all of the 'classic' recordings of the symphonies. And also own the box of 'best' versions on DG as well as emi's Barbiroli etc. Rattle got my attention with the 1st but....  
Sorry but I'm not a Mahler fan. There I said it! :D Boy have I tried to like him.... Sooo many purchases on the hope that I'd find an interpretation that makes me say.. "ah, now I get it!" but alas not. I'm still where I was twenty years ago with a great appreciation of a couple of his adagios and 1st movement of the 9th and 1st. Just don't see all the fuss!    Lots of ideas stitched together and then branded a whole, to put it crudely and ofcourse IMO!  Unlike Brahms...
Great stuff :)  Theres not many 60's/70's amps that I've heard that are black silent with the HD800 so this is good news! And gives me hope!  Pleased you're enjoying it.  
  ??   (I'm sure you must have missed my post by accident as I'm certain that you wouldn't include me in your current Hiatus?  After all it was only one night... We we were both very drunk, one thing lead to another and yes I left in the morning without saying goodbye (or flushing the toilet) but hey! you know, these things happen!! As long as no-one got hurt.. Well,  I did have some bite marks on my ankles but we'll not go into that. Ermmm..  :) 
Congrats on the Fisher Matt, you own 'one of' the holy grails now!  I think the last line you wrote has summed up why we love the vintage!  (and just to cater for my obsession with all things that 'hiss' with the HD800.... Is there any?  :)
Yes I think most vintage amps in theory should pair well with the power hungry T1's. The marantz sound will defo provide a nice bit warmth and you should notice a more pronounced bass response over normal dedicated amps simply because of the extra power and high impedance. I haven't heard the T1's but used to own the 880's and so I have a general idea of the Beyer sound. Should be a good match :) I would also look out for anything classic Sansui. The 70's Sansui sound in...
Nice :)  What headphones will you be using?