Posts by sml1226

Cocoa Puffs are fine to buy "generic" but don't you try and say my Frosted Flakes are the same as the generic ones!! I don't want some busted up flakes with no frosting even on them!My point is, there's only so far you can take the "don't buy into advertising" mentality before the better product is actually the one that is advertised better as well. I have an LG HDTV. LG advertises quite a bit for all of their products, and I have to say it is one of the best out there for...
I have a source for plenty of wood, but no sheuda as far as I know. I could probably try them out for you, but none of the wood I have or have access to would match it. If you want me to try it with what I have or have access to some sheuda yourself, PM me and I'll try to figure out what I can do there. It's still questionable right now for multiple reasons, I don't have any way to test it myself at the moment though. I know a lot of things are easily done like this with...
I could probably make a set, but I need to get some measurements as to thread sizes, ODs, etc. to do it all. I don't have any plugs lying around right now to measure myself and I'm not entirely sure the wood I have is best suited for turning at that size being brittle in smaller pieces like it is. If anyone has some measurements for the critical parts I'll see what I can do with it anyway and how useable they would be without either being giant blocks or really fragile....
Love the look of those plugs on that copper. Silver may sound better to some, but it can't pull off a lot of plugs like copper can in terms of visual appeal.For those looking for a tutorial, I'll repost one that was mentioned a few months ago.http://www.seekyee.com/Slings/howtos/8strand1.htmHe also has 3-6 strand braid tutorials there too for people interested. The link is to the 8 braid since it was requested.
y1 is ~$100 with an simple blank case. Opus is ~$250 or so for USB and S/PDIF with no case. It's basically not even a kit from Twisted Pear though, just connect the boards to each other. The DAC would likely be my primary DAC, but I do just want to build one more than anything. I'm open to a good DAC that's already done if there's something good for the price out there though. The Bifrost and Rega DAC both claim 24/192 on the optical input though... so what are they...
They do (or did) and nobody liked it. Look up the Rega Ear.
I don't need 24/192 on the optical input, but if I have 24/192 coax I'd like 24/192 TOSLINK as well if at all possible since, as I said, I need optical more than coax at this point. I have no intention of ever needing, or even using 32 Bit, I simply mentioned it as the DAC can do it, whether the Opus itself can is another story. In all honesty, I don't even really need 24/192 at this point, most of my audio is 16/44.1 or 16/48, but, though it's a very small part of my...
There is an extreme bias against both brands here. You have to look through the bias at the actual info some people provide to get an accurate representation of both. Bose are good at one thing (two if we count their intelligent use of DSPs to fool people into thinking it sounds better than it does) and that is noise cancelling. If you need that, they're one of the best. If you want good quality sound reproduction, better can be had, and usually for less. Beats are about...
You say a fully uncompressed album is about 700MB, then praise the BD. How much data can the average CD hold? 700MB? Wow, that's about perfect!Why are we looking into BD-A and DVD-A when we could just rework the CD format to be a higher bitrate? We would make all current CD players that run 16/44.1 obsolete on these new discs, but SACD and DVD-A had the same issue and SACD has survived.Personally I want a physical copy of my media. How may times have you pulled out a CD to...
I have looked at them before, but they are never in stock (the Buffalo is now, but it's out of my planned budget for this) I'm also confused by the SPDIF. I assume the SPDIF board feeds it (the Opus board) and runs up to 24/192 since the WM8741 can do up to 32/192. The optical board however says it can only do up to 96KHz which is a problem as I need TOSLINK more than COAX, but both would likely be used given the ability to use them. (I can get 24/96 from the y1 for quite...