Posts by sml1226

I did a guitar hero stand similar to that awhile back. No glue needed on that one. Just don't try it with Mega Blocks with no seals in there
I don't get the argument that headphones are completely different from speakers. I see no difference between a headphone and a full range speaker, really, at least when it comes to amplification. The only difference to cite is an unbalanced wiring scheme... if we assume everyone is using a TRS or some other unbalanced connector. First thing you balance your headphones, you are back to the equivalent of speakers again. As far as the common ground issue goes, what happened...
What's going to harm it? It's not really any different than taking a headphone amp and turning it all the way up. Too much power is too much power, keep your levels lower and there's no issue. It would be more risky for the amp than the headphones in that scenario as the tube amp likely has OPTs that do not have, for example, 32Ω secondaries so you would be presenting an odd load and it would be highly strained to output it. A SS amp, or an OTL amp would be your best bet...
Professionals in studios use very flat sounding active monitors rather than fun and musical speakers. I'd also like to see you try to integrate a quality, high current capable, amp into a planar speaker that is all of 2" thick. You can give me the crappy class D argument all day, but I have yet to hear a class D amp come close to even a class B amp, which is already subject to a sometimes audible crossover point in the amplification process. And I really wouldn't call the...
Really, this is very similar to the cable debate. Some people hear a difference, others don't. I heard a pretty big improvement between a dual mono (two monoblocks in one case, separate power supplies, separate power cables) and monoblock version of the identical amp when they were separated into different cases. This was a SACD rig, but still, the point is that some people can see value in doing things in a different way regardless of what supposedly should happen.
And I've seen CD setups with dedicated monoblocks... what's your point?It's not like vinyl means it's less worthy of quality amplification. In fact phono cartridges are balanced by nature and there are quite a few balanced phono stages on the market, so why not run it through the same balanced monoblock setup as other people do?
While a lot of things I listen to are bassy by nature, I have no interest in reproducing the heavily boosted bass of quite a bit of them, so a natural EQ down on them in that area would in no way be a bad thing, provided they still have quick bass that won't smear across the bottom end of the FR. I have heard bipolar, planar speakers, and open phones (Grado, Supposedly the DT990) that are plenty quick all around and great sounding for what I listened to on them so I know...
Crosstalk is a major advantage of monoblocks as well, which is not negated by a power ground share. While a balanced setup helps with noise and crosstalk inherently, you can also run monoblocks there provided you use dual plugs and improve crosstalk if it is an issue of any kind, and in that case, it makes just as much sense as in a speaker rig as your drivers are completely isolated electrically from each other as speakers are.
That's not too popular a discussion around here. Personally, I can't stand my setup without a proper preamp, headphone or speaker, but many around here seem to run straight from whatever source to their headamp. Quite a few headamp designs do have an input buffer, so I guess they do have a preamp of sorts and are "integrated" but in no way marketed as such. You can always run a speaker amp, low power directly, or high through an adapter box, and use a separate pre (or...
Once I finally get a replacement preamp in the chain here my rig will actually be respectably accurate, but I have no way of telling if any of these will have any synergy with it. My recordings, on the other hand, are far from accurate and revealing for the most part. At the moment, it is accurate, but it is dry, it is dull, and it is really just far from musical (at least running to my speakers).I am very reluctant to try the HD598. I have no way to try them and my...