Posts by doctorjazz

True all of that-that's why John Atkinson of Stereophile does include measurements as part of his reviews, with the caveat that they don't always tell the whole story, you can measure well and not be that great sounding, but if you measure badly, something is wrong with the design (or the unit) being evaluated.
OK, haven't researched these extensively, I do know the Massdrop price listed as full price is often not the real world price available...
Beats me!
Y'know, I agree, but, again some reservations. I think personal gear (headphones) is a different animal in a way, and the surge of interest spurred by having music on your phone and Beats/etc headphones is certainly good for High End (in terms of exposure and the IDEA of SQ) and the ability to listen at better sound quality. That was the case when less different types headphones were available-a portapro and an iPod could give you detail many home systems wouldn't. And,...
I'm so so on Massdrop (but I've used them without problem), and this is an expensive deal...but it does look like a pretty good one, so here goes https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-th900?referer=G4M8GT&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Community%20-%20Audiophile%20-%20MAU%20%28Inactive%29&utm_campaign=Audiophile%20IA%20Product%20Announcement%202015-05-04&mode=guest_open Fostex Flagship Bundle
Hmmm, I've got the C5, after an initial honeymoon that I used it a lot, I started to note a bit of grain in the presentation. Sure enough, compared to the ALO National, much more open, clear, grain gone. YMMV, of course. Haven't used it much since...
Cool-enjoy the CD's and the live music!There are lots of reasons High End Audio (and the shops) are having trouble. High End Audio never got the popular exposure that, say, high end cars, watches, and other areas have. You can get from place in a used cheap Chevy, but no one thinks you are nuts if you buy a Porsche (jealous, perhaps...). But the idea that there even IS such a thing as better sound quality than what's generally available and cheapest just never penetrated...
Your life will never be the same after you reach Supremus...
Didn't realize the included cable didn't pass high rez files...but, I pretty much use it to stream TIDAL from my iPad3. Use my Pono to play hi rez on the go, think it does fine with the DA conversion, though.
Hegel seems well regarded, I searched and read a bit on it after someone else mentioned it, curious what you think about it. Congratulations on the new toy, enjoy!