or Connect

Posts by Willakan

Evidence? I don't need no EVIDENCE cos I CAN HEAR THE DIFFERENCE!   /hides behind impenetrable wall of illogic  
EDIT:Question was asking for results which were posted as I was writing the response 
Amen to world-class sound under 3K dollars (does the AKG K-1000 happen to feature in that setup BTW?).   The thing that worries me is that arguing that selling products that make differences that don't exist is considered rational by even some objectivist audiophiles. Just goes to show how totally insane the world of audiophilia really is. I start selling stuff that does nothing in any other industry, whilst claiming it does something, at large price tags - I get...
Okay, I suppose you could say that an illusory improvement is still worth paying for, although we could debate that philisophically quite literally for ever. The main reason I suppose to stop people spending money over differences that don't exist is because it does a gigantic amount of damage to the perception of audiophiles. The idea of strange old men spending thousands on differences that only exist in their heads makes the average person think audiophiles are...
Just to provide some closure here, I asked on the AMB forums for a clarification of the matter. The resulting response, which hopefully closes the matter, is detailed below:   http://www.amb.org/forum/post10556.html#p10556  
The moment you start selling improvements that exist only in the mind of the user, you are on ground that is totally morally unjustifiable IMO. If I sell a product that, under all scientifically measurable conditions, does nothing and rely on the user to imagine improvements...hey, I found the definition of fraud!  
NwAvGuy is preoccupied at the moment with the amps at amb.org - he feels that a virtual ground (as used in the Beta22 and M^3) is useless and that the Mini3 specs quoted there are largely fictitious. Suffice to say a few sparks flew when he bought this up with Ti Kan on the AMB forums...
  Problem is, most of the stuff many audiophiles believe in is deeply irrational. As Uncle Erik put it, modern high end audio is all about fashion, not utility.   @deadlylover: The desire to discredit these snake oil salesmen comes not from an immature mean-spiritedness, but a desire to: 1. Save the misled money. 2. Prevent others from being misled. I saw some dreadful review on Amazon where someone had purchased the Sennheiser HD650, and found it not at all to his...
The reason it is banned is because it gets to a point where every time someone proclaims that they hear some difference which is nigh impossible for them to have heard unless you put it down to placebo/cognitive bias, someone will suggest that they prove it with a DBT.   This makes the subjectivists very upset and generally leads to giant undignified arguments, which begin with giant dollops of facts from one side and pseudoscience from the other. As there is hence...
And that's where we'll agree to disagree - IMO the HDMI cable will not make a difference and if it is standards compliant will never make a difference, because it's impossible. But that's probably not a discussion for the cable forum, and I'm certainly not going to buy them myself on the offchance conventional science ceases to apply.    EDIT: Comparison may not be entirely fair, as I'm pretty sure the HDMI standard has some provision for error correction, but the...