Posts by Willakan

Point 2 would not be caused by failing to ground the amplifier to the case. The only reason grounding is recommended is because otherwise you get hum when you use it with sources with a high output impedance AFAIK. The sparks likely came from some resistors touching the screw rail (as you mentioned happened also.)   As regards point 3, was the regulator's metal tab actually touching the case?   This wasn't one of the 2 big builders, was it? Seems like a pretty...
  It's not a personal attack. He gave those measurements as part of his argument. They are not applicable to his argument, yet comprise a large proportion of his post and are referred to as a real world example. They are far too limited both in scope and accuracy to even come close to serving that role, and hence their use there is actually damaging to what little exists of his point. I didn't put it particularly politely, but still...doesn't constitute a personal attack....
I didn't quote AMB because he was going on about his favourite non-existent spectre of "ground contamination." I also felt he was being disingenuous in several places. Lest you accuse me of railroading (I'm deeply sorry for not having time to quote counterarguments and annotate them should I want to say something.)   While Benchmark's statement that having two amplifiers drive the headphones (per channel, in balanced mode) doubles its effective output impedance is true,...
In some ways, smearing cake on the PCB would be a better tweak if it actually worked. Balanced amps tend to need rather more parts, so you're paying a premium for...what exactly?   Anyways, here's an engineer from Benchmark on the subject, who knows vastly more about the matter than me. Anything I added is marked in bold:   Hello! My name is Elias Gwinn, I'm an engineer at Benchmark Media Systems. We've been getting a lot of questions lately about balanced...
Please explain in what way tubes have a more transparent midrange than solid state amps. This reads like unsubstantiated myth propogation.  
Perhaps they could cryogenically freeze their PR department to significantly reduce customer edginess due to BS claims.
True, but just being a choice doesn't necessarily justify it. I can choose to smear cake over my PCB and even entertain the idea that it works best for optimum treble clarity...it's a deliberately stupid example, but the principle of being able to challenge a design choice stands, especially when the advantages are ill-defined and/or offset by significant disadvantages.    
I would recommend an Objective 2, considerably under budget and completely transparent. You're welcome to spend money on unknown quantities, but the O2 is just a verified wire with gain. Colour the sound to your taste with an equaliser and you've got audio nivana. Buy from Epiphany Acoustics or JDS Labs.   On your technical questions:   How an amplifier will cope with a headphone is almost entirely defined by the output impedance of the amplifier and the...
The question is at what point cables can be considered "good." Not a very difficult one IMHO...
The uDAC actually clips from its line outputs (yup, Nuforce are that incompetent) so that could be what you're hearing. 2.5X gain is plenty anyhow, looking at the sensitivity of your headphones. 6X gain is designed to be used with MP3 players and other devices with low voltage outputs and will result in clipping when used with a higher-voltage source. This is by design.