Posts by sunmonkey

Is everyone still here? It looks like it!   Just got back from Malaysia for good last week (I've been working in Kuala Lumpur for the past four years). After a quick peck on the cheek for my wife (priorities!), I ran downstairs and set-up SilentOne's WA6SE and plunked in the Sylvania 6SN7WGTAs. My ears are very happy! And yes, it will always be SilentOne's Woo Audio 6 Special Edition in black.   Anyhoos, hope you all are doing well. Good to see so many of the familiar...
  Thanks a lot for the WA7 notes, Headphone Addict (as well as your entire write-up on the Audiofest!) Very intriguing! 
  Thanks for the comment, longbowbbs.   I'm comparing the WA7 against the ALO PanAm, which is tube amp and DAC in one box for $600. Since I already own a WA6SE, spending another $800 on a second rig of questionable portability is a tough choice. I'd probably save the money and get a dedicated DAC. That also keeps my upgrade paths independent and a wee bit easier to manage.    I guess I am looking at the WA7 as a secondary system (office, bedroom) and I'm having a hard...
  The starting price of the WA7 at $777 (cute, Woo, very cute) has me a bit worried.  I would have seriously considered it at $500, but at almost $800 I think I'd tap out. The ALO was already pushing the limit at $600, and that unit has some additional pluses - a smaller size relative to the WA7, and the external power and battery options.   People in the announcement thread seemed to dig the design, while here it seems split. The black version looks pretty good,...
  Duh on me. I just saw this, and I should just +1 it rather than writing a rant.  
I'm a creative director by trade, so I know better than to get into a battle over aesthetics. :)   I'm hoping that the simplicity of the casing for the WA7 is based in a desire to keep the price (and weight) down. There is a juicy market niche in one box 'office' solutions I think Woo would do well to explore, right in the 400-600 range. They have the WA3 and WA6, but even stripped down those are beasts and limited in their functionality (they are 'just' amps), and...
    Is it glass or plastic? Seems dangerous if plastic. If it is glass I imagine you could remove, clean and pop it back on. Or fill it with batter and bake muffins.
I'm with The Grokit.   The WA7 is a beautiful piece of kit. Looks to be just the thing I need while traveling abroad: small, not too heavy (less than the 6SE), high-quality, and pleasant on the eyeballs.   (Hopefully the Woo thread has a drain cut into the bottom, to leach out the drool. Didn't someone sink one of those in here in the early days, around page 440?)
Focker:   Yeah, bottom line: there is no meaningful comparison, other than the 325is and PS1Ks both have Grado branding.    I'm curious to hear how the PS500 stacks up. It would be nice to know where I stand, relatively, and hopefully increase my appreciation even more. I'll see if I can get my hands on a pair of the PS500s while back in the States over the next couple of weeks.   If you beat me to it, let us know how it goes!
  Well, I almost added: "...only when I am so drunk my legs don't work and the 325is are closer than the PS1Ks to where I collapsed, insensible."   But I tend to be wordy, so I refrained.    I've had the PS1Ks since January, and have only gone for the 325is twice since. My guess is (and I am guessing) that you'll find the PS1Ks are a beefier version of the PS500s. In other words, if you can justify the price increase against the performance increase, then the upgrade...