Posts by chinook9

The previous statement was made based on my experience using a Windows 7 based netbook.  I recently purchased a Windows 8 "netbook" with an HDD and JPLAY sounds much better on this machine with no perception of the highs being rolled off.  In fact, I believe using "Hibernate" mode in JPLAY clearly provides my best sound....better than I am able to get with Fidelizer.   Regardless,  I am not sure the improvement justifies spending 99 euros.  That's something I'll have to...
In my estimation, the stock tube that comes with your Ember will fill the bill.   When I bought my Sunrise, I immediately set about buying all of the tubes I read about on the internet.  It wasn't until just recently that I tried the Voskhod 6N23p that came with it.  I like it more than most of the other tubes I have and the only one I like a slight bit more is a 1985 6N1P-EB (Voskhod).    In my judgement, using Sunrise and DBV#3 Fostex, all Russian tubes I have tried...
JPLAY works well for me but I believe it rolls off the high end.  I am now trying Fidelizer. Its free and at this point I believe its a keeper.  
I just tried JPLAY today.  I suggest you try the JPLAY trial and see if you like it.   I used JPLAYmini and also with FooBar2000.  It does make a difference in the sound and you may like it.   I am undecided but I expect I will decide I like it.  I'm just not sure I will pay 99 euros for it.   To use JPLAY I have to log in using an administrator account on Windows 7 and I'd rather not do that.  If I can get it to work on a non-administrator user account that...
I'm a headfier who just found this thread and thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth for anyone else checking out JPLAY.   I just put JPLAY (trial version) on an old netbook (Atom processor) that I use to send USB to a Musical Fidelity VDAC, into a Sunrise II amp into modified Fostex T50RPs.   I have Comodo on the netbook and that may have made it a little more difficult to install and use JPLAY but I was successful.   I was not able to get the JPLAY driver to...
The Fostex can indeed go very low in the bass but do need some power.  I listened to Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" last night and I heard some ultra low bass that I had never heard before in 30+ years of listening to that disc on high end equipment.   I have an iBasso D-10 but that doesn't have enought power.  I now have a Project Sunrise II and it has more than enough and matches wonderfully with the modified Fostex.   I have a DBV3 modified Fostex and I...
I expect that the 12BH7A and 6GU7 will be in the Starlight manual on the next update.    I received a couple of Sylvania 12BH7A and am still evaluating them.  Initial indications are good but nothing compared to my recent revelations after finally burning in the 6N23P (Voskhod) that came with the Sunrise II.  I was so impressed with this tube that I just ordered a couple more Russian tubes:   1962 6N1P-B OTK, with gold grid, and molybdenum pins.  The seller...
daerron   Thanks for the reply to the post I deleted.  After I posted it, I realized I had an updated list of tubes from the manual and 12BH7A was on it.  I will be getting a Sylvania black plate and a Sylvania gray plate today so I'm looking forward to checking them out.   The last couple of days I received a really pleasant surprise when I finally burned in the Voskhod 6N23P that came with the Sunrise.  I like it so much that right now, it is clearly one of my favorite...
Post Deleted!
Thanks for the quick reply Jeremy.  The printing is very, very light and I doubt it would photograph well, but it has the Voskhod "rocket" logo so if that's a good identifier, I have my answer.