Posts by chinook9

The "black plate" refers to the vertical plate in the tube.  These are generally various shades of gray but can also be black or silver, The mica is the horizontal "stabilizer" that helps hold everything in place.  The triple mica generally signifies a higher quality tube.....often for the military. Just do a Google image search on "triple mica black plate vacuum tube" for a picture.
The Sylvania might be a little hard to find. There are other triple mica black plates that are quite similar and preferred by some.  You might take a read of Joe's Tube Lore (he reviewed most of them) and see which of these you might want to go with.  There are a few of these at good prices on the bay right now. I had pretty much switched to using Russian tubes, but now I am using Alessandro "Grado" headphones I am back to the American/European standards.  The Grado...
Mouser, I assumed that you had gotten a Russian tube with your Sunrise 2.   I tend to like the Russian tubes although all but a couple of my 20+ tubes sound great. There are just slight but appreciable differences.   My hobby is actually the equipment, not the music.   Yes, both the 60s 6N23P-EV and the 60s 6N2P are Russian.  I left in the mention of the 60s because with the Ruskie tubes I believe the year (best between 60s and early 80s) does make some difference that...
 I expect spaced evenly would be best but I doubt it is crucial.
Haven't owned or read any reports on this specific tube.  I have a 1958 Tung-Sol but I haven't listened to it for quite a while.  How does this tube and your Mullard compare to the Russian tubes you have heard?   I am particularly interested in your opinion because I recently got a pair of Alessandro MS1i and I love the Grado sound.  I also have found that these headphones change my taste in tubes a little.  I really like the 60s 6N23P-ev that I have and I even like a...
When I got my Sunrise II I went on a hunt and bought all the tubes I read about where many people like them. The Amperex Orange Globes were among them as was the TJ Full Music. I believe the Orange Globes are good tubes and you can't go wrong with them but I would say it depends on your tastes and the headphones you use. With my Sunrise 2, my favorites are the early 60s 6N23P-EV and the 6N6P. If you like what may be a slightly "bright" sound with extended highs I would...
Thank you for the review.  I will be making a few sets of cups over the winter and I was looking forward to the review.   I expect cherry will be added to my wood selection.  I already have limba and iroko.   Do you like the Sennheiser sound as much as the Grado's?  The PX100 are pretty cheap so I may just have to try them.
Thanks!  I haven't ordered them yet.... I finished my first set of limba wood cups, and as a test, I put into them the 40mm drivers from a set of $10 Auvio headphones I got at RadioShack on Black Friday.  They improved the sound of the Auvios quite a bit and now I'm trying to decide what to do as a next step.  I can put the drivers from my Alessandro MS1i in the limba wood cups, however, I am really reticent to rip drivers out of a brand new set of headphones that I truly...
Thank you.  I had been searching on Magnum.  I expect I will be ordering a set pretty soon.....just have to do a little research first to confirm that's what I want.
wje, thanks for the anecdote.  I had been thinking I would make something out of wood on the lathe that would just put pressure on the outer edge of the driver, but I expect a socket of the correct size will do the same thing. I will be trying it.   I am planning to use this method to install the drivers in my cups.  I will sand the cups to the exact size (trial and error) and then press the drivers into them.  It should make installation and removal much easier. And I'm...