Posts by chinook9

I'll let you know.  I will probably try to get a couple of iroko cups cut to right dimensions tomorrow so I can start to listen to them.  If I like the combination I'll make some and finish them up.  I will also probably make some limba cups.
I just received my Turbulent X and subsequently a surprise.  I assumed that these were 40mm drivers and that I read a post indicating that they are 40.6 mm.  The ones I received are 46mm diameter so back to the woodshop.   As luck would have it, I just started on some 45mm cups this morning.  Now instead of putting in the drivers from some 225i, they will get the Turbulent X.     EDIT:  Just did a search and sure enough on the previous page of this thread Levictus...
Thanks again.  More useful information.  I'm not so much sold on the "Grado" sound but I like a really open and airy sound stage with detail.   I am looking forward to receiving the Magnum/Turbulent X.  I like the Alessandros so I expect I will like the Xs.
 Thank you for this information.  It give me hope for my Turbulent X drivers and adds some valuable perspective to my knowledge of Grados. I keep waiting for the Turbulent X and I'm not even sure I will like them any more than my Alessandro MS1i which I already have.  I have been considering buying a GS1000 or possibly a PS1000 but one of my winter hobbies (when I have access to the wood shop) is making wooden cups and modding headphones to perform significantly better...
Thank you!  I will go ahead and order a roll of that if shipping is not too bad.
Thank you for the Link.  I have read that thread quite a bit but I still want to check it some more.  I am looking for some foam tape but haven't been able to find any so far.  I like the idea of a press fit into the wood much better, but I expect I will experiment a bit and I know all my cups won't be the exact same size and I will try a few different drivers which I'm sure won't be the same size. If anyone know a source of foam tape I would appreciate the information.
I expect to find out in the near future.  nickchen, a couple of questions:  Is the Ultimate clearly better than the MS1K?  Anywhere near worth 5 times the price?  What the best driver you have heard in your "Grado" type cups?
 Thank you for the information.  I'm not familiar any of Marty's product or his website but they do look really nice. So far I have been turning my cups on a lathe and have been building in the spacers.  I like the idea of a removable spacer (like I have on my MS1s) and I will probably make a couple out of wood.  One of the great things about using the G-cush pads is that with 14mm spacers you can barely see the spacers and I expect with the 11mm spacers the spacer is...
Amazing how long these folks take to get the product to the buyer....like buying Russian tubes from an ebayer in Siberia except that in Russia the postal tracking system is updated more frequently.   I ordered my drivers December 17th.  DHL notified of order December 23, processed in Singapore terminal December 27.  Thats it!   I hope they're worth the wait.
Are you using the 14mm distance?  I made one set of limba cups with the 14mm spacer built in.  I haven't used them yet for a couple of reasons:  I love just listening to the MS1s (with distancers and G-cush) that I've only had a couple of weeks, and the turbulent X drivers I ordered haven't arrived yet. Should be here in a weeks. I'm not sure how the limba cups will sound because I put a load of oil and wax on them before I realized I probably shouldn't do that.