Posts by chinook9

Could you describe a little what you did? I have been considering doing what I think you did.
 I just Googled catodamp5, the new product, and it doesn't appear that it is in production. The web store, Audio qualia does not have it in stock and I only got one other hit through Google. It is a thread in a turntable forum where one of the members apparently developed catodamp5. I didn't read the whole thread, but it appears some of the members dispute the dampening factor testing methodology and interpretation of the data.
If you like music and like to play with stereo equipment, I suggest you read up on modifying a pair of Fostex T50RPs.  There is a thread where Keith explains how to do it and someone on the thread will send you the stuff needed on the cheap.  It takes a couple of hours to do the mods and there are a few places you can get the headphones for around $100   I was planning on getting the HifiMan HE400 at $400 but ended up with the T50RPs and I'm happy as a clam. ...
      Did you use steps 1 thru 11 under "Simplified and Consolidated Pictorial for DBV #3" in the very middle of page 1 of the Incremental mods thread as your guide?  I followed these steps and I didn't need to open mine again to tune them.  They were vastly improved..   You should hear a significant improvement without any burn in.   First, if you're going to be working on these a bit, make your life a little easier by cutting out the four posts.  A set of side cutters...
I did look for an organ manufacturer's tubes but was unable to find a single cleartop at a good price.  This morning, however, I found a vendor on eBay who has a bunch of Conn cleartops that he is selling for $7.49 ea + $2 shipping so I have one on the way.   Presently, I'm still burning in the stock tube, the TJ Full Music, the basic Shuguang 12AU7, and the CBS Hytron.  I am getting some sense of the differences in these tubes but it will take quite a while just to...
geetarman49, you may indeed be right about the old tubes vs. new, that's why I want to hear the opinions of others on the TJs that I like so much. I plan to do a lot more listening and burning-in of my CBS Hytron and in the near future I will get a Conn organ RCA cleartop 12AU7.
 Please let us know what you think. I can't believe how good it is....I may go ahead and order another for spare.
I thought I'd post a note on my tube rolling....mainly because one of them has got me so excited and I wanted to share the find.   I received the CBS Hytron a few days ago and after burning it in for 30 hours I can say I like it but I wouldn't say I like it more than the stock 6N23P.    Last night, I recieved the TJ Full Music 12AU7 ($31 direct from China).  I heated it up for about 20 minutes and sat down to listen.  Frankly, I couldn't believe how good it is...
    I believe you are correct about the bass response.  I have the DBV#3 just as described earlier in this thread, including the tape over the ports with the 1mm x 3mm vents.  I have not yet tried blocking the small port that is up next to the driver.     I do most of my testing using Pink Floyd and Dire Straits and there is really low bass on a few of those tracks.   I have been impressed that the planar drivers can do this well on the low end. 
Keith, Looking forward to hearing what you think and any additional mods you might make to the T50RPs.