Posts by chinook9

Micaiah   I have attached what you need to this posting.
I expect that you really need to run a signal through the tube. I have used music, but now I've started using a freeware program biwavegen and I run pink noise at a somewhat high volume and I use some old headphones as the load. If you can't find biwavegen to download, just PM me and I'll send it to you. Its only 45Kb.
After quite a bit of study, I decided against both the D12 and Leckerton. I ended up getting a Sunrise Project II tube headphone amp. I initially used the DAC from my D10 with it and recently replaced that with a Musical Fidelity V-DAC. The V-DAC is not a great improvement but the Sunrise II is phenomenal. It is more than I could have hoped for in an amp. At $244 built, or $199 in kit form this tube headamp is one of the best buys in audio.
PM sent.  
 I'm looking forward to hearing about all these tubes... and maybe trying some. How long do you plan to burn in before you start making judgements. I've settled on 30 hours, but I'm not sure that's enough. The burn in made a great difference to my CBS Hytron 5814. That is one nice tube.
Well guys, I did it today. I bought a Telefunken 12AU7 smooth plate (possibly used) for $48 from Brent Jesse and followed up by bidding on a pair of Amperex 6201 gold pins which I won for $67. I couldn't tell if both the 6201 were marked Premium Quality but one of them was. I don't know if it makes any difference actually, but I will find out.
 deadkenny64I'm not sure, of course, what your standards are for deep bass performance, but I am running a basic "untweaked" DBV#3 using a Project Sunrise II and the low frequencies are quite good. I'm not sure of the exact frequencies, but I listen to a lot of Pink Floyd and Dire Straits and there are a lot of low frequency organs, drums (maybe not so low), and distant rolling thunder. I'm not sure of the specs on the DACport, but I would suspect that it is the culprit....
geetarman49 Is it possible that what I described as a "sloping square getter" is in fact a D getter. I have also seen these described as "mid 1950's...14 mm black plate tubes with angled bent rectangular getters."
 I don't know the year of the CBS Hytron 5814 but it is one of the ones with the sloping square getter. It is printed with the Arkay brand. There are some marks between the pins in the base but I can read them...might be an 8 or 9 and a 4. but its hard to read. I can tell you that it is starting to sound real sweet now that I've burned it in 30+ hours. I expect I will be buying quite a few tubes, but its a complicated market and its going to take one heck of a lot of...
geetarman49, You make some good points. I expect I may try and approach buying tubes assuming that I can always resell them at somewhat close to what I pay for them. One of the major difficulties with buying NOS tubes (after you determine which ones you want) is confirming that the tubes you find for sale, are in fact what you are looking for (i.e. design and manufacturing plant.) On a related note, I am getting my CBS Hytron 5814 12AU7 burned in (30-40 hours) and I...