Posts by chinook9

Referring to the sound level.  For a long time during tube rolling, when using headphones, I had noticed that the sound level changes many characteristics of SQ. Then recently I read a note by someone, whose judgement I trust, that after adjusting for sound level (equalizing it so the SPL is the same for both tubes) the difference between tubes is very hard if not impossible to detect (my paraphrase).    Now, I don't have great ears, but I compared my best tube (TF...
I have one.  At one point I considered it my best tube, and it probably still is, but every single tube I have (about 30) sounds excellent after I equalize volume levels.   It is not a cheap tube, but it is excellent in every way and you should not have to buy any more tubes.   You will like it.
pm sent
The magnum drivers are 45.6mm in diameter but the can be sanded down a little bit.  You can also use tape to expand them a little.  I used a layer of electrical tape to get a really snug fit. Some use foam tape but I wouldn't want to do that on wooden cups.  On closed cups the foam tape might be better.    I am not sure of the depth but Grados I have are 9mm at the edge and about 12mm in the center at the magnet. I expect the magnums are close to that.   I just...
 If you want to check these out in the US RadioShack carries a version of this headphone.  At RS they're either $25 or $29, not sure which.  I got a couple on Black Friday for $10 each.  They do work but they are cheaply made. 
Thanks for the comparison.  I will pass up the 6N30P-DR for a while.    I may try a couple of E182CC tubes after I  make an adapter but I'm not sure.  I already have 30 different tubes and I'm beginning to doubt that I will find anything better than I already have.
 Looking forward to your first impressions. 
I'm looking forward to hearing your evaluation and comparison.
 I have read somewhere that someone did this.  I believe he filled the cups with liquid plasti-dip and let them dry for quite a while.  I read an ongoing discussion between the modder and bluemonkeyflyer.  My recollection is that it worked but was not an improvement on the existing mods described in this thread. It also required the modder to go thru a lengthy experimentation process to equal what had already been accomplished.
Glad to hear you got the sound you wanted.