or Connect

Posts by dpump

Comparison of the: Original Flat Pads (OFP), Deluxe Flat Pads (DFP), and stock L-Cush (LC).   First, a little history. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these details. Most of you probably know that the first series of Grado phones used flat pads on all models and looked just like the OFP that TTVJ sells. The first Grado series had a smaller chamber and I think were all designed by Joe Grado. The i series was the next series and were designed by John Grado with no...
While I agree 490g is pretty heavy, if you watch the video you will see that the large magnets used on the Utopia contribute the most to the weight. It is also mentioned in the video that Focal used carbon fiber as much as possible to offset the weight of the magnets and to get the weight as low as possible. In the end, it appears to me Focal did all they could to reduce the weight, but they couldn't go any lower and get the performance they were after. I am puzzled by the...
I saw the 47-step Goldpoint, but the price is $246. May be better than the Khozmo but to expensive for me!
The Khozmo is the big silver thing in the middle of the front panel between the 12AT7 input tubes. To see a picture of the Khozmo by itself do a Google search and click on the Khozmo website.
If you haven't watched the video on these phones, please do so and you will see where the weight comes from. The Utopia has a huge and heavy magnet structure to get the performance Focal was after. Focal used carbon fiber to offset some of that magnet weight which contributes to the high price. This is shown and discussed in the video. The magnet on the Elear is smaller but still somewhat heavy. The rest of the weight on the Elear comes form using more traditional...
Thanks to Ben from Mojo Audio I was inspired to finally make some changes to my MZ2. I had planned to replace the Alps potentiometer with an attenuator and from past experience I knew I wanted the Khozmo since it has 48-steps instead of 24-steps like the Goldpoint or DACT. Nothing wrong with the DACT -I have one in my Grace 901- or the Goldpoint-had one in a previous preamp-but I sometimes find 24-steps to be a little to soft or loud. The Khozmo gives you 2dB steps on the...
Todd,   Glad to volunteer to test the pads if you think my Grado phones are adequate. I have 225e and GH1. Also Allesandro MS2i. I've had Grado phones from their beginning in all 3 series, so I'm somewhat familiar with the flat pads from the first Grado series. 66 years old so my hearing may not be up to the younger guys, but I have lots of experience! 
I would check with Jeremy at Garage 1217 before using 6BL7 or 6BX7. Both of these tubes draw 1.5 amps and will cause the Ember to run very hot and could cause eventual breakdown. I asked Jeremy a while back about these tubes and he ended up using them in a Solstice (if I am remembering correctly) but he had to modify the amp to handle the heater current. I tried each of them in my Ember1 with Supercharger, but the Supercharger module was very hot after a short time, so I...
Yes. Inner is +, outer is -.
I posted this back in January and got no response. When I take a flashlight and look inside the back of my GH1 cups, I see 11L written on the wood of the left cup and 11R written on the wood of the right cup. Maybe this is a SN#. Would be interesting for some of you other GH1 owners to check and see if there is anything written inside your cups and report here. Has anyone asked Grado about SN#'s?