Posts by dpump

The HE-400 will give you a bigger sound with more impact. I think the bass will also be a little stronger with the HE-400. You will need a good amp to crank rock or heavy metal with the HE-400. The Grado will need less power to go loud. Reading reviews of both phones on Head-Fi should also help.
I also have a pair of HE-400's for sale.
FS:Grado SR-225i in mint condition. Less than 50 hours of use. Buttons have been removed for a more open sound, will be sent with phones. Don't have the original box but will be well packed-check my feedback for comments on my packing. PayPal fee and 2-Day USPS included in the asking price. PM me with any questions.
FS:HiFiMan HE-400 in mint condition. Comes with the original box and original cable. Also comes with a HIFiMan Canare 4S6 cable (i think it came with an HE-500) which has banana plugs on the amp end. I can also remove the bananas and install a Neutrik balanced or 1/4" connector if needed. Includes the original unused pleather pads and the velour pads that are installed on the phones now. I removed the cloth backing on the perforated metal driver covers which gives a more...
Great discussions guys. I see a lot of you are on the same page as I am. If I remember correctly, back when the HE-5LE was discontinued for the HE-500, there was no warning or price drop like was done for the HE-400. That was what started my frustration with HiFiMan.   Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for what Fang has done for us Head-Fiers and the world of planar-dynamic phones. He almost single handedly revived planars and put them where they are today....
So, HiFiMan continues to play their games. Headphones announced in January and supposed to ship in March. Now may be shipping in July? Just what Oppo did with their PM-1. They want you to keep waiting and not buy from someone else. HiFiMan shouldn't have announced these phones or the HE-560 until they were much closer to be a finalized product. But hey, they've done this before.   I own HE-400's and HE-6's. Great phones. I've also lost $400-$500 on the HE-5LE and the...
Since some of you report that E90CC tubes should be quieter than 6J6 tubes, I decided to do a comparison. In my new Torpedo I had only used Philips and Telefunken E90CC. Although I have a number of different 6J6 from the older Torpedo I used to have, which I sold before the E90CC was discovered, I tried the Sonotone 6J6 in my new Torpedo.   I could tell no difference in the slight hum I hear with the Sennheiser HD 800-both the Sonotone 6J6 and the Telefunken had the...
I agree. However, the leads were already bent from the factory and I didn't want to twist them around to keep from fatiguing the metal. I read of one person who did that and one of the leads broke off. Didn't want to take a chance on that.
Here are pictures of my Torpedo with the ClarityCap MR 4.7 mFd capacitors I recently installed.  
To be accurate, it isn't the E90CC tubes that reduced the hum. It is the replacement of the original Schottky heater diodes with general purpose diodes with a shunt capacitor across each diode. Anyone who has an older amp can do this mod to reduce hum, along with the diode mod. When I built my current Torpedo amp I used ClarityCap SA coupling caps. Last week I replaced the SA's with ClarityCaps top of the line MR's. There was an obvious change for the better with a...