Posts by benstat

Thanks kboe. I'm a bit concerned at the price of shipping a headphone amp overseas though! I suspect it might make it more trouble than it's worth. I'll look into it though...
Hi, I suspect this is a long shot, but I'll give it a go. I live in the UK. I was wondering if there are any hi-fi shops that will lend you a headphone amp in order to try it out for a short time? Or, perhaps more realistically, somewhere that has a decent returns policy if you're not happy with the amp? If such a place exists, I'd be very grateful for any recommendations. Many thanks!
Just read about the Shure srh840. Man, I wish I'd seen those earlier! Maybe time to check out the returns policy!
Thanks for your advice TheWuss. Unfortunately it's a little late! I ordered the HD650's yesterday (hasn't arrived yet). I did this because I read a lot of music production sites that recommended it if you absolutely must mix on phones (I know it's not ideal). Here's a typical one if your're interested:   http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan07/articles/mixingheadphones.htm   So I'm stuck with them for now! I'll try them out and see how they are compared to my...
Hi all, My head is spinning. Been searching around the forums, and while there is no shortage of amp recommendations for the HD650, I can't find any recommendations that fit my specific needs. I want a headphone amp to go with my HD650's that is as neutral/transparent as possible - one that won't 'colour' the source material to make it sound better. Obviously for mixing, I need to hear as true a representation of the source material as possible, even if it doesn't...
Thanks again for your advice everyone. I think I've made up my mind to get the headphones first, and an amp when I can stretch to it.
Thanks everyone. I have a fairly cheap USB audio interface, but it seems to power my Fostex T40's OK. If I buy an amp aren't I just colouring the signal more though? I want it as transparent and nuetral as possible for mixing of course. I won't be mixing at high levels (not a good idea in general anyway), so it all comes down to quality really.
Hi all, Do I really need a headphone amp with a Sennheiser HD600 and/or HD650? I ask because just buying the headphones will pretty much wipe me out, let alone having to spend the same again on a decent amp! I'll be using them for mixing music. I might consider buying an amp if the sound difference will be significantly better, but not just if it will be a little bit better. Many thanks for your opinions!
Thanks. That's interesting because the HD600's are cheaper. I'd be very interested to know if anyone else has any opinions on this...  
Hi all, I notice that the original Fostex T40's (the older ones with the better orthodynamic drivers, not the newer mark II model) are held in high regard in the 'Orthodynamic Roundup' thread. I own a pair, and am considering selling them. Why? Certainly not because I don't like them! They sound great and I've been very happy with them for many years of occasional use with producing my own music. However, I now find myself wanting to learn to properly mix and...