or Connect

Posts by Skarecrow77

Vali 2 "review pt. 2" So, for various reasons, I pulled out my old shabby nearly un-wearable HD-650s, and my wife's clunky-but-in-somewhat-better-condition HD-580s and Frankenstein'd together a working set of cans out of the best parts of both (the 650 drivers and enclosures, thankfully).    I listened to the FrankenSenns for several hours last night, and a couple hours tonight. I thought at first that they had reminded me that I am indeed a "closed can" kinda guy, but...
 I'm not sure if you mean the Vali 2, or the Valhalla 2. There is a Vali 2 tube rolling thread, yes.http://www.head-fi.org/t/793982/vali-2-tube-rolling There is a Valhalla 1 tube rolling thread.http://www.head-fi.org/t/619910/schiit-valhalla-tube-rolling-thread I don't know that there is a Valhalla 2 thread, I would guess they probably folded it into the Valhalla 1 thread.
If your tube amp rings, you'll hear it in the line-out, as the line-out is pre-amp'd by the vali2. the tube is what's causing the ringing, and it's also what's doing the amping. you can't de-tangle the two. That said, My Vali2 doesn't ring with any of my 3 tubes, stock, Philips (TI) or Philips (Herleen). I've only ever got ringing once, and that was because I knocked the hell out of the amp by accidentally lifting up one corner and dropping it about a quarter inch back...
 Not on my Vali 2, no, but on my old Perreaux amp, yes. It caught all sorts of interference at the end of it's life. Mostly it was indistinguishable noise, but if I pulled the power cable and turned the volume pot all the way up I could distinguish broadcast radio (at least, that's what I though it was) with no cables plugged into it at all. Swapped in my wife's magni with all the same cables, no problem at all.
No hate, I love my Vali 2, but that pic feels like you're driving your Ferrari through the Burger King drive through! 
No problem with head pain in the least, and I'm rather... sparse on hair up top. Does adjusting the telescoping on the sides not help you guys?   My ears do get very warm though, and I need to reposition the earcups every hour or two. It's because my particular pair clamps pretty hard. It's interesting, my wife has a pair she bought a few weeks after hearing mine, and they don't clamp as hard as mine. They're very comfortable.   Honestly, I prefer mine. Yes I need a...
 It took about 8-10 hours for the bass to show up on mine. Everything else was there from the start, and simply got more refined over time.
 hit the 50 hour mark a few minutes ago. Been listening to the Tube all evening. It's a GOOD tube. The bass improved, the midrange improved, the soundstage improved a bit...But I'm back to the Ei. I really am. It's just... something about it's synergy with my NAD HP50 headphones. Yes the midrange is a hair on the "fat" side of the oversaturated line, but man when it works it REALLY works... and it works more often than not. And that Ei soundstage... It's crack, I can't get...
Ebay is a crapshoot. You can luck out and get a rare tube cheap (I did), or you can get involved in a bidding war for a mediocre tube. Most of the Ebay tubes aren't tested as well as web-based tube retailers. You've got no idea what kind of microphonics you're getting, how well matched the triodes are, whether "NOS" really means "NOS" or just "not used that much".    The well known retailers are knowledgeable, test well, and have reputations to protect. Unless you're...
About 2 hours of listening later, and I'm getting a better handle on what's different. This is mostly going to be a straight-up A vs B comparison: Pros: The "pinchet waist" Made in Holland (I assume Herleen, I haven't found the Philips code on the tube yet, too much of a hurry to get it in the amp, but the seller claimed it was a Delta) tube is more controlled in the midrange than the Ei tube. There are certain songs that it just plain reproduces better than the Ei, like...