or Connect

Posts by Skarecrow77

I'm a fan of the Philips PCC88 in the $20 -to- $45 range if you're using closed cans. They do a good job of voodooing up an impressive soundstage.
 Well, I've only got 3, but my pinched waist miniwatt PCC88 would be my choice of the 3 I have. I've heard very good things about the Bel E88CC/6922 as well.
 I use it in high gain mode with my HD 650s. They're 300ohm cans that aren't particularly sensitive. That's exactly what high gain mode is for. I can run them in low gain mode, but I have to use about 90-95% of the volume pot to get them to a decent volume.  Coincidentally, roughly "12 o'clock" on my vali 2 is my favored listening volume on my HD 650s in high gain, and also for my NAD VISO HP50s in low gain mode. Very convenient that I don't need to change the dial when...
 I think it works very well. Used to have a Perreaux SHX-1 solid state (~$300 msrp, flavor-of-the-month circa 2004) powering my 650s, and I like them much better with my Vali 2. The veil is just about gone. They're relaxed and very musical. They've even got bass I never knew they had.
 in low gain mode? hell yes. I'm not even sure you can get good volume out of 600ohm beyers in low gain mode. in high gain mode? not AS badly, but still much higher than my 300ohm Senn's. I think I run the vali 2 pot around 3-4 "o'clock" with my wife's 600ohm DT880s.for comparison, I run about 11-12 "o'clock" with my Senn HD-650s in hi gain mode, and the same with my NAD HP50s or PSB M4U1 in low gain mode (both of the latter two known as being pretty easy to drive). maybe...
 Got a pair of 650s, and they sound pretty damn nice with my pinched waist miniwatt PCC88. If you are considering a pair of closed, might I recommend a pair of NAD Viso HP50s? They sound unreal (in the good way) with my philips (Ei) PCC88. Having never heard either, I'm torn between either Oppo PM-3s or Hifiman HE-400i for my next pair (whenever that is).
I would like to participate in the US loaner program and agree to the terms & conditions. Would really like to see if these are a potential closed can replacement for my constantly breaking PSB M4U1s...  
So far as I'm aware, being powered on is all a tube needs for burn-in. Music playing is for headphones (and the DAC? not sure).The Philips branded PCC88s on upscale audio were manufactured in Electronic Industry Niš (usually shortened to "EI") in the former Yugoslavia (currently, Serbia). I did some reading on them, and there was some sort of "Technology transfer" from Herleen to EI. Exactly what that entailed (hardware? parts? personnel? expertise?), I can't seem to find...
Vali 2 "review pt. 2" So, for various reasons, I pulled out my old shabby nearly un-wearable HD-650s, and my wife's clunky-but-in-somewhat-better-condition HD-580s and Frankenstein'd together a working set of cans out of the best parts of both (the 650 drivers and enclosures, thankfully).    I listened to the FrankenSenns for several hours last night, and a couple hours tonight. I thought at first that they had reminded me that I am indeed a "closed can" kinda guy, but...
 I'm not sure if you mean the Vali 2, or the Valhalla 2. There is a Vali 2 tube rolling thread, yes.http://www.head-fi.org/t/793982/vali-2-tube-rolling There is a Valhalla 1 tube rolling thread.http://www.head-fi.org/t/619910/schiit-valhalla-tube-rolling-thread I don't know that there is a Valhalla 2 thread, I would guess they probably folded it into the Valhalla 1 thread.