Posts by Skarecrow77

In an attempt not to derail this thread into a flame war, I highly recommend you try it with a piece of music exhibiting complex dynamics, transients, and complex sound signatures, especially artificial ones. Sine waves are about the easiest possible request for an audio encoder.  
  Well considering that you were comparing frequency response graphs as proof of identical reproduction (which is laughable), claiming that the difference between 256kbps and 320kbps mp3 was the lack of post-20khz signals in the former (when highpass filter is a variable you can set on any mp3 bitrate), and claiming that nobody can hear the difference between 320kbps mp3 and lossless/source, when that is demonstratably untrue (if quite rare)... I'm pretty confidant that...
What you are describing is lossless encoding. Mp3, pretty much by definition, does not do this.   Do some research on audio encoding, as well as compression technology. I mean REAL research. there is a reason that the maximum compression you can get out of FLAC is around 50% under most circumstances.   and as for killer samples that no bitrate MP3 can restore properly? a quick google search gook me to: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=69454 which...
  Well, you can. sorta. sometimes.   Some modern encoders (LAME specifically comes to mind) embed offset information for that exact problem. Basically the long and short of it is that when you're encoding an MP3, there are specific block sizes, and if your song ends in the middle of a block, the rest is padded with 0s, basically silent information. It shows up as a brief pause of silence on track changes. Modern encoders detect when this happens (which is most of the...
Thanks, I try. I've been into mp3 since the voodoo days back when we had to do everything by command line and you basically had 2 encoders to choose from and they both sucked. I haven't been paying as much attention lately since, in all fairness I use FLAC exclusively on my home network simply because I have the space for it and it makes later transcoding easier, with aoTuV vorbis on my portable, but I take a look at the state of lame about once a year and I haven't seen...
  That's a pretty ironic statement considering that technically his statement was right and you're the one who is wrong.   Last I checked, there are still killer samples that even the newest revisions of LAME can't encode transparently no matter what the bitrate, the psychoacoustical model is not perfect and still screws some things up. Granted, we're at the point where we're talking about the 1-out-of-a-thousand special case here, but it's still there. There are still...
I must admit I've caught myself listening to some pretty bad songs lately. stuff I'd be really embarassed to mention, but the worst recently was probably Avril Lavigne - Complicated.   I can't help it, everything sounds so good on the DT880s!
Let us know what you think of them. It's hard not to love the 650s. Even if they aren't the headphones for everybody, they're a charmer.
Wow, don't find too many kalmah fans. Listening with grados no less. sweet.
Garbage - When I grow up (album: Version 2.0) and world of warcraft ingame sounds on Beyerdynamic DT880s.