or Connect

Posts by Skarecrow77

So, during my time with the Oppos I compared them to my stable of headphones, HD-650, DT-880, HP50, M4U1. All things considered, they're probably the best of the bunch, and I ended up selling a pair of Nad HP50s (wife and I each had a pair, so one can go) to partially fund the purchase of a set of PM-3s.   Now, that said, each of those cans does something better than the PM-3s, but none of them do everything as well as the PM-3s, and none of them can match the PM-3 in...
 Unit #2 (was #4) should ship out tomorrow. sorry for the delay.
Unit #4 showed up today. Mostly going to be comparing them to my existing closed cans, since that's my frame of reference.   First impression? Wow this is comfortable. The earcups are slightly smaller than my NAD HP50s, But dont' feel that way, and the cans spread their weight well on the head. I do get a bit of the pleather/leather "are your ears sweaty, or do they just feel that way?" after a while, but that's it. I could wear these for hours.   They are quite...
7volt tubes from the 6DJ8 family (usually desinated "PCC88" or "7DJ8") work very well in the vali 2 as well.   You can often find PCC88s at around half the price that a ECC88 from the same factory/year would cost.
The pop doesn't really worry me.   it's annoying if you forget about it and have the headphones on your head when it happens, for sure... but I've (by accident) played music through my headphones way WAY louder than the pop and they were fine.   I was actually kinda impressed that they could handle that much volume without distortion. Well, I was impressed after I was done being in physical pain.
I've PM'd him twice in the last week and haven't heard back. He also hasn't updated the main post in 12 days. I'm guessing he's missing in action.
I'm sure Jiffy Squid has a handle on it.   I was actually supposed to receive unit #8 a few weeks ago, but I asked to be bumped to the back of the line (and I was), because I wouldn't be able to give it a fair trial at the time. At the time, I was the "end" of the line, so Jiffy just had ZehTreyster hold on to it a bit longer.    Now I'm ready and waiting on it. I have no reason to expect it won't be coming my way soon.
 I'm waiting on it to get shipped to me.
 From my research, so far as i'm aware everything in the 6DJ8 family works with the Vali 2, which includes the 6DJ8 itself (aka ECC88 and 6H23), the 6922 (aka E88CC), the 7308 (aka E188CC), the 8223 (aka E288CC), and the CCa.  The 7v version of the 6D78, the 7DJ8 (aka PCC88), also works just fine with the Vali 2. My two most used tubes are both PCC88 tubes.There are few other tube families that work with the Vali 2, but the 6DJ8 family seems to be the most used one here.
 If you're looking for a nice fat rich sound that pairs well with the Vali2, Let me recommend the PSB M4U1 or NAD HP50 (almost the same headphone, sister companies, both cans designed by speaker wizard Paul Barton).  My NAD HP50s with a Philips PCC88 sourced off of a modi 2 is a magical combination.. The synergy is crazy good. Great compliment to my Senn HD650s which I tend to use with my '57 miniwatt PCC88.