Posts by Skarecrow77

Somewhat on topic, I got a Mimby yesterday under the tree, and after ~36 hours online, it sounds REALLY good with the Vali2 and my Philips PCC88 (the little tube that could). I can concur that this is a great combo.   As one might expect, the Mimby and Vali2 work very very well together.   This PCC88 surprises me at every turn. It always exceeds my expectations. I've got more expensive stuff and I always seem to go back to this tube.
That's a tough comparison for the PM-3 or any cans really, My old HD-590s are, to this day, still the most comfortable cans I've ever owned. Long after they died they remain my "gold standard" which all other cans are compared against. In my competitive FPS days, I would routinely wear the HD590s for as much as 9 hours without a break, and then i'd get up to go to the can or grab food and get my head yanked by the cable because I'd forgotten I even had them on. They were...
If you've got large ears, I'd stay away from closed phones in general. Their sound signature usually relies on getting a good seal, so they tend to be smaller in order to get a better likelyhood of sealing against the skull. If you're worried about fit and comfort, I'd recommend you look at open cans with fairly large earcups. Beyerdynamic or hifiman come to mind.
 It's almost certainly an Ei. All the Upscale Audio PCC88 Philips are Ei made, it says so in the description. Yours looks just like mine. The date/manufacture code should be on the reverse side of the tube, but likely it's not particularly legible. I think the ink/dye they used deteriorated over time. Mine I have to turn in the light "just so" to be able to read it.
Can't speak for the nighthawks, but I got the PM3s and my wife got the HE400i within a few days of each other (early christmas presents).It's going to come down to "Do you prefer open cans or closed cans"? Despite owning and primarily wearing Senn HD-650s and then Beyer DT-880s for more than a decade, it's become clear to me in the past 2 years I prefer closed headphones. My wife's HE-400i are very very good. I like them better than ether the HD-650s or the DT-880s.. but I...
Is your Philips 7DJ8 made in Herleen or an Ei?I've got a '57 Herleen (miniwatt) and a '74 Ei (philips). The midrange on the Ei is a bit pronounced (which I like on most cans. it's a bit much on some tunes on my NAD HP50s, but perfect on my Oppo PM3s), however the soundstage is unlike anything I've heard so far. It's nuts. I liked it more on my wife's 400i's than the Herleen (which is weird because I liked the Herleen better with my HD-650s and my wife's DT-880s). 
 I concur. Tube selection can be surprising. Interestingly, the 1974 Phillips PCC88 that works so well on all my closed headphones is outshone on my HD650s by my 1957 (I believe) "pinched waist" Miniwatt PCC88. The miniwatt is a bit less present in the mids than the phillips, and the soundstage isn't as wide, but it's got better clarity.Side note, I think it's kinda interesting that the pinched waist is such a highly sought after tube, and I like the comparatively mundane...
The 580/600/650 series has been reccomended to be matched with a tube amp for pretty much their entire lifespan. Now, I don't know if a hybrid like the Vali2 counts, but my HD650s do sound better with my Vali 2 than my old solid state.   That said, I'm talking about a sample size here of 1 SS amp and 1 hybrid tube amp, so take it with a grain of salt. All I can say for sure is HD600/650/6xx sounds good with vali 2.
 I concur. Got a pair of HE-400i for the wife for her birthday. Her magni powers it just fine, but I needed high gain on my vali 2 to be happy with them. Surprised me, I didn't think they were that hungry. The only cans previously that needed high gain on my vali2 were my HD-650s and 600ohm DT-880, which are both notoriously power-needy. I wondered if it was a planar magnetic thing, but the Vali 2 is driving the hell out of my Oppo PM-3s at just past 12-o'clock on low...
On the topic of "upgrade from HP50", I think it's pretty clear to me... Between myself and my Wife, we've got (among others) the HP50s, Senn HD-650s, HE-400i, and Oppo PM-3.   Now, I've never heard HD-600s, but I don't think that my 650s sound much like the HP50s. They're closer to the HE-400i, and yeah I think the 400i are a shade better than the 650s, or at least I prefer the less-laid back sound. I generally prefer the HP50s to either the 650s or the 400i, but the...