Posts by alphaman

If HeadRoom's graphology is trustworthy, it's interesting to note the similarity of these two cans with respect to certain metrics (esp. FR):              
I've found that modern bipolar op-amps like the 8397 are okay to use "naked". In fact, that opa is used as an output for the QLS-350 DAP and several other commercial jobs like the Xin SM3 headphone amp. 
Alternative (better, IMO) to AD823 is AD8397. Not too $$, and HIGH current. It seems to have gotten mildly popular in some audio circles. Anyone try it in Pimeta?
Holdin' out for Senn IE800 ....  
UPDATE: Although I use this Teclast device infrequently now (1/2 hr per day; with 3-4 pwr cycles/day (i.e., on's and off's)), it seems to be going strong. So it FINALLY seems like I got a device that's reliable. But I'll shut up ... don't wanna jinx anything ;)
Op-amps -- yup, the Ck4's stock opa's --  2 used: one right after the DAC (LO), the other for HO -- are some unmarked brands. Could be the same as in Yulongs you noted -- and those are NOT bad. The 2 opa's are SERIALLY connected to each other (the 1st is right after the DAC, it's a buffer of sorts; and from there you "Y" off to LO (jack) and opa for HO). So LO is more pure. Alas, the digital volume affects LO, so not perfect -- but even with that setback, the STOCK Ck4...
Dunno how good the C4 "high-end" model  -- or other high-enders, like Head-Direct, etc -- sound (the C4, e.g., adds upsampling and a putatively better AD823 OPA). The CK4 can be improved quite dramatically by swapping the el-cheapo OEM OPAs* with, e.g., ad8397 [you can get it free if you sample it from AD's web site] -- do it for both LO and HO. Do it carefully: Disconnect the batt. Ground everything. Disconnect ribbon cable carefully. Orig OPAs best removed via flooding...
Sorry for the confusion -- tho' the ability to be confused may entirely be on YOUR end ;)  ... Yup: not banned for the reasons I'm SPECULATING ABOUT above -- these are new. Why mention the ban at all?  We're not "allowed" to talk about this charac. on H-F, so any mention of him must be "delimited" with notes on his ban. Again, huge apologies for posting in my complex, for-rocket-scientists-only style! 
Sorry, no.   On another sad note ... it seems that NwAVGuy has ripped off the Calyx Coffee in his suspiciously-similar  ESS Sabre 9023-based project called "ODAC". NwAVGuy was justifiably banned from H-F (and I complete agree with the H-F mods on this!) and so I can't provide a link. You can Google for more info.