Posts by alphaman

Hmmm ... probably velour when they are new + clean. But as they age with sweat and skin oils and other yuckies, they begin to feel v. nasty against bare skin. I suspect that leather/plastic are better in this respect as they stay cleaner (and are easier to clean). 
After a few mos. use, I can easily say that -- WRT sound quality -- the velours are significantly superior to the newer sofkskin OEM pads. The most dramatic diff. is a "dulling" of orig., detailed dt880 treble -- the softskins make it seem like one has stuffed cotton in one's ears. Also (and perhaps due to loss of treble),  soundstage focus is reduced. Not sure about bass -- it may be v. slightly better with softskin. But no way enough to make up for drawbacks. Being...
I'm too lazy to search this thread to see if anyone has listened to the '64 with in-line filter removed. This "tweak" was a MAJOR game-changer for me w/SM3v2 ... and mostly for the better. 
With the in-line filter removed, I've pretty much switched over to the SM3v2 as my primary IEM. Some may recall, from my earlier posts in THIS thread in 2011, that I wasn't very impressed with their SQ.   A few mos. back, I removed the in-line filter and ... well, read the updated review here.   Funny how such a simple tweak turned my opinion of this model around so dramatically. I think the Knowles micro-drivers used in the SM3s are the real performers. Maybe...
The Grados are also uncomfortable, so the VMs have got a huge advantage there! Grados sound sig. vs. pricing is unusual: the top-of-the-lines are not necess. their best. It's like filling a loudspeaker-based audio room with Sonex -- "cleaner" sound, but the excitement goes away.( I wonder if this is why some prefer the VM-80s to the 100s ??? ) There USED to be some agreement that the 225s were overall the best. I don't think my 325i's are better than my SR-80s...
New to V-Moda here (I don't own a pair)...I do own Grado SR-80, SR-325i and HP1. From the qualitative descriptions fans and reviewers are expressing, I think Grado sound may be the closest I've come to in my listening experience to V-Moda. Most importantly: a driving, punchy sound with superior PRAT. Rhythm and beat done right (err. ... well, as right as possible for the $$). Is this accurate?
I may have missed this in this thread, but did those of you replacing the stock crystal with either the Vanguard oscillator or an after-market clock (Audio-gd, etc.) remove the two stock SMD caps (in the pic. below, you can see them below the stock X1 crystal, on either side of the SMD resistor--the caps are white)?   In almost every aftermarket tutorial I've seen, those caps are removed. Reason: the orig. (stock) is a crystal that needs external bypassing/filtering;...
If you're using the Vanguard or similar oscillator -- and not a purpose-built clock like Audio-gd, or TentLabs, etc -- the following "tips" should help to further clean the output signal .... [Note: I do not have one of these soundcards nor do I have access to schematic. The components in the tips below may already be incorporated into stock design. Let me know...]  (1) Use a ferrite on the (+) pwr  input -- i.e., replace that red wire in the pics with one or more of...
I updated my orig. reply ... please see it above...
If by fault you mean one/both channels losing volume, join the club. EarSonics, via the manual or web site, does not specifically mention filter maintenance/replacement. They give you a crude "cleaning" tool (brush), which IME simply packs the crud in denser. Nothing worked for me so I removed them (metal sleeves and all) and was pleasantly surprised when I found I generally preferred the unfiltered sound. Generally, the sound is more detailed and forward, with less...