Posts by alphaman

Anyone compare the AK120 to Teclast T51 (or similar Nationite sflo:2) ? They also use twin Wolfson 8740, but can't play high-rez.  What opamp (or headphone amp chip) does the AK120 use AFTER the DACs? 
tomb: Thx for summarizing! [FYI: My main ref to this project has always been: http://www.pmillett.com/starving.htm ] So, based on your  succinct summary ...this thread seems ridiculously long...i.e.,  if your two external links (Millet's DIY site pages) are the ONLY major topological changes/ mods to the orig. design... then I'm guessing much of the discussions in THIS ~440-page  thread have been ...  ... about what ... MSSH cosmetics ;) ??   IAC ... I'm perhaps most...
This is a LONG thread, and many may not have the time to trudge thru it all. Not a bad time, methinks, to post an UPDATED schematic and BOM.
Nice job on your amp. CCS with tube can stress filaments if not carefully done. I assume you are using something like: http://www.cavalliaudio.com/diy/soha%20ii/main.php?page=design/opdesign
Dunno if this has been mentioned ... if you're using LO, setting vol. at one or two steps below MAX seems to give best results. Not sure why: for external amp, using its vol. at higher levels may be the reason. Something about greater "linearity" when analog volume is used at higher level. Then again, the reason I hear improvement may be something intrinsic to the CS4398 DAC (or the way it drives the opa's that follow). Anyway, try it yourself ... extended listening...
For me, the small (stock) Comply have best seal and are most comfortable. And the small Comply least deform the natural geometry of my ear canal. But still, for most sonic attributes that are important to me, the Comply are WAY eclipsed by the stock silicone bi-flange. Reasons for this may be shorter/wider inner diameter of these tips. Another reason may very well be that (due to their shape/larger size) the silicone bi-flanges "distort" the geometry of my ear canal in a...
Not sure I consider this model -- my only experience with ES -- to be less reliable/durable than usual. My Senn IE-8 had BOTH nozzles "break" only a few mos. into use. Not really broken -- the bayonet-style I-E8 nozzle have a weird soda-bottle-cap-type low-torque break seal. They will still lock-fit, but they twist out of position easily, often leaving the tip+nozzle in ear canal!  I have the same tip-in-canal issue with SM3, etc. Welcome to the world of high-end IEMs,...
Can you better define "broke"? Mine "broke" too -- shell came apart where the two halves are "glued" together. I attended to it immediately by re-gluing the halves back together. So, nothing really broke ... just poor "glue job" with stock unit!
Anyone have a graph with the in-line filter removed?
Usually, I use the small supplied gray double-flange tips. Today, however I listened to my FILTERLESS SM3v2 with the supplied Comply foam tips.  This is the first time I've done so since removing the in-line filters (see my comments on that earlier in this thread -- bottom line: filter removal is a HUGE improvement). Anyway, IMO, the Comply are big step back in most aspects of SQ. No wonder I haven't used them in a while! QUESTIONS: (sorry I'm too lazy to search...