Posts by alphaman

I went to the iriver wiki page as well as the official iriver web site and can't find any info on who "Astell" and "Kern" are? Are they project engineers? Or is it a "brand name" ... like Lords and Taylor? Anyone know? Thx!!
How hard is this device to get into? For Apple and similar "idevices", there is $10 kit you can get to easily pry open w/o any damage to unit. It's important to be able to get into one of these units according to Bear Grylls and Survivor man and all those "reality" shows". Reason: you may need the battery inside to, say, start a fire if there is some sort of "emergency" ;)
Cool, but in order to conduct any useful "engineering analysis" we need properly-lit and focused macro photography, preferably in multiple sections, and (as I noted before) on BOTH sides of the board. Also, that daughter board needs to be lifted to reveal the covered section of main board underneath.   Come on folks ... take that cover off, focus your iPhones, and snap ;)   HINT: Here's example of GOOD internal photography: Image link (full...
Ditto this comment! If any AK120/100 owner is brave enough to peek under the hood, snap a few pix with their iPhone, and post 'em in this thread ... well, thx in advance for the legwork ;) Oh ... BTW ... don't forget to photograph BOTH sides of the circuit board.  Thx again!
Good job on the photography!   Now, can you re-open your unit and show (photograph and post) what's on the OTHER side of the PCB. We'll probably see the twin Wolfson DACs and maybe other interesting stuff.    Just looking at these images reveal nothing really overly special about the device ... i.e., why it may sound as good as some claim. That said, shorter trace distances (better layout) and better-written software as well as a high-performance decoder (the main DSP) --...
Haven't heard the Rocoo BAs yet. What are "Studios"? Link, please!   The AK's biggest downfall is, of course, $$. Some may defend the $$ given its size-to-perf ratio. But come on ... can a few centimeters off the dimensions be worth THAT much? Maybe this brand/model is for elites ala Tiffany ... Chanel ...Sharper Image, etc and I'm none the wiser ;) Certainly that name Astell-Kern sounds "elite", as is its royal packaging and artwork. Reminds me of the Colorfly CK4 vs....
Starving CCS ,,, just need one part: from: http://web.archive.org/web/20080303170808/http://www.borbelyaudio.com/eb804421.asp
Anyone compare the AK120 to Teclast T51 (or similar Nationite sflo:2) ? They also use twin Wolfson 8740, but can't play high-rez.  What opamp (or headphone amp chip) does the AK120 use AFTER the DACs? 
tomb: Thx for summarizing! [FYI: My main ref to this project has always been: http://www.pmillett.com/starving.htm ] So, based on your  succinct summary ...this thread seems ridiculously long...i.e.,  if your two external links (Millet's DIY site pages) are the ONLY major topological changes/ mods to the orig. design... then I'm guessing much of the discussions in THIS ~440-page  thread have been ...  ... about what ... MSSH cosmetics ;) ??   IAC ... I'm perhaps most...
This is a LONG thread, and many may not have the time to trudge thru it all. Not a bad time, methinks, to post an UPDATED schematic and BOM.