Posts by alphaman

What exactly are the signal differences (internal routing/processing) between "Normal" and  (flat) "USER" eq. for the Teclast 51? I don't want any EQ and I assume "Normal" means no signal processing. However,  (flat) "USER" eq. has less gain than "Normal". Since most volume controls function best when their whole range is utilized, a lower signal voltage is usually better (either for LO or HO). However, I don't know if which of these two is the unprocessed (=linear)...
Agree about the more aggressive use of HD with flac (maybe, WAV, too). I have a Cowon X5 that drains quicker when playing flac. Not sure the decoding/processing itself -- i.e, power draw from the ICs -- has any real effect.I'm not talkin' Intel fan-cooled CPUs. But in the old days, D/A and oversampling ICs (DIP sized) were commonly known to draw 200mA each!! And yeah, they ran warm.   Speaking of running warm... yeah Somnambulist, the Teclast/SFlo DAPs are 'hotties'...
For various DAPs and PMPs I used over the years, FLAC files tend to drain battery use somewhat faster than MP3. I haven't tested FLAC vs. WAV. Anyone notice any differences?
With my HOD Teclast T-51 DAP came a "free" IEM (model R8): http://www.houseofdap.com/teclast-t51-hi-fi-quality-3-5-inch-mp4-player-8gb.html   They come with an extra set of (white) silicone (??) flange tips that I found to be (overall) the BEST tip I've used for my IE-8. I've used several 3rd-party tips and although the latest Comply foams are a tiny bit better isolating, they are $$ and not reusable. The nice thing about the R8 tips is that they are quite thin,...
DJGeorgeT/All: Correct that s:flo 2 does not have a SPDIF out. For the earlier test, I tapped the DIN pins on its DAC (the bit-accuracy test is mono, so it does not matter which of the two WM8740's DIN was used; that said, I repeated the test on both DACs). And to satisfy your condition, I went ahead and purpose-built a breadboard "SPDIFer" (based on Philips 7220 Digital Filter) to see how the SFlo2's pre-DAC circuits behave in a SPDIF set-up. FYI: The QLS 350 has...
I just tested two S:Flo2 DAPs for bit-accuracy and they are surprisingly NOT bit-accurate with respect to WAV files. Sound quality probably SIGNIFICANTLY COMPROMISED as a result. More on bit-accuracy here: http://peufeu.free.fr/audio/extremist_dac/bit_accuracy/ The QLS QA-350 player I also tested was bit-accurate. And it sounds a lot better too. Sigh ... thought we put had this issue to bed with optical discs! Think again!