Posts by alphaman

beyer is probably my "favorite" headphone company -- "favorite" meaning I use (hours wise) their 880s more than any other 'phone (compared to Senn 650, AKG 701, etc.).   The company -- given its long history (= experience) in dynamic transducers -- probab. has technical know-how to build some really great IEMs. So why haven't they developed anything higher than MMX 101 iE? Too much competition? Did beyer lose some of its engineering staff to other manufs....
As my experience documents ... Not just the S:Flo2, but the OEM Teclast T51 base model. S:Flo2 is Mp4nation's Nationite re-badge. House of DAP (and others) carry Teclast T51. Probably best to avoid them all.  
flaming_june: yeah, my HoD-purchased T51 had huge problems like that, too (since the day it arrived!). Did you try the Factory Reset (near volume and mini-jacks?). As the American idiom goes ... what a way to run a railroad.   sz1999: Your luck with this device makes me wonder whether Teclast themselves got a bad lot (batch) of manuf parts. E.g., power supply parts or the main decoder. I can't see anything further downstream (DAC, opamp, headphone amp) that would...
The supplied charger looks puny and unregulated. I could be wrong.   If the the word-of-mouth account you relate is true and important, is it in any Teclast manual/web-site?    IAC, while The Wife was using hers, she mostly charged with the supplied adapter. When mine failed, I confiscated :) hers -- and gave her my much-more-reliable Cowon U3. As I noted in the OP, The Wife's unit failed, too.   I noted my charge habits as matter of documenting correlations, which are...
Unfortunately, a FW "fix" almost surely won't solve the issues I noted ... not unless the FW could control, say, the heat issue. (Speculating here, of course!) Speaking of heat (correct me if I'm off-track) ... I think that may be a necessary evil for its voltage-doubling pwr circuit. Analog audio circuits/devices almost always sound better with higher Vcc.  
Thanks for all your replies, folks ...   Darkchaser wrote:      Know how you feel! The blame may partly be OEM Teclast themselves (and not entirely distrbs like HoD and MP4nation)  -- both for making an unreliable product and for "screwing the pooch" in honoring warranty service requests.   What I can't figure out is why I can't find more accounts of failed units? Maybe, it's me (this is why, in the OP, I listed detailed usage notes)??! Or maybe they do fail often, but...
A follow-up question ....   For those of you who've had to return your T51/S:Flo2 for service ... how exactly did your unit fail? Please describe any unusual symptoms you noticed before the unit failed? Did your unit ultimately completely fail, or was it partial? If a unit was returned to you, was it your original repaired, or a new replacement? (I had some files stored in the internal Flash memory that I wouldn't mind recovering -- if possible. Yes, one should...
  Folks, I’m just about wit’s end with this albatross of a problem… and I need some input/advice.   [Problem summary:] Three Teclast T51 DAPs, purchased (taken delivery of) between late July and end of Dec. 2010. #1. S:Flo2 purchased (ordered) new from MP4Nation mid July 2010. Failed mid-late Sept. 2010. Returned to MP4Nation for warranty service (still have not rec’d as of 28 Feb 2011) #2. S:Flo2 purchased used from eBay (August 2010). Failed late October...
What exactly are the signal differences (internal routing/processing) between "Normal" and  (flat) "USER" eq. for the Teclast 51? I don't want any EQ and I assume "Normal" means no signal processing. However,  (flat) "USER" eq. has less gain than "Normal". Since most volume controls function best when their whole range is utilized, a lower signal voltage is usually better (either for LO or HO). However, I don't know if which of these two is the unprocessed (=linear)...
Agree about the more aggressive use of HD with flac (maybe, WAV, too). I have a Cowon X5 that drains quicker when playing flac. Not sure the decoding/processing itself -- i.e, power draw from the ICs -- has any real effect.I'm not talkin' Intel fan-cooled CPUs. But in the old days, D/A and oversampling ICs (DIP sized) were commonly known to draw 200mA each!! And yeah, they ran warm.   Speaking of running warm... yeah Somnambulist, the Teclast/SFlo DAPs are 'hotties'...