Posts by alphaman

Unclear as to why putative lower-quality ceramics are being exchanged for original/stock (which are decent-quality poly/film, albeit low-cost Chinese variety and not Panasonic or WIMA). Or did you o'scope stock vs. NP0 and noted improvements? Also, did you change (tweak) cap values to match replacement OPA, as originals were ideal for OPA2604?
Anyone know  the specific type of stock LPF  caps (in green frame in image below)...     They seem to be decent-quality plastic films (poly). I don't know what brand they are (some generic Chinese brand, I assume), but they look very similar to some high-quality Panasonic caps in my kit.      EDIT: The orig. Teclast sales literature notes: "CBB polypropylene filter capacitor". This seem to be pretty good IME. Modders seem to be replacing with Wima. Yes,...
Well, w357, earlier in this thread posted some very detailed and extensive tips for DIYing this device. The Strob/Hardcorist project is very good, too, and you don't need many special tools to complete a project. You will learn a lot and have much more satisfaction in the end. Of course, everyone has different priorities and time constraints. A word of caution: Like w357 notes, the T51 (and CK4, IME) are cheaply made and fragile. The T51 can be killed by little things...
Confused .... other than burnwaygta4, who are all others (at player.ru and elsewhere) offering (or have offered) mods for T51/Sflo2? "AlexMod" was mentioned but I can't find a "home" link for his mod page. Also Strob, Hardcorist, w357? Who are all these modders ... are they still active?   Used shoppers should avoid early sFlo2's -- very unreliable. So buy used, not new-old-stock -- either they stopped working after a few mos. after new, or they were the improved QC...
Just a quick post here for some much-needed advice/suggestions ....   I have a pair of Shure SE-530 in disassembled condition, as shown here (not my image, but looks same) (They were taken apart in order to replace that infamous "dry-rotting" Shure cable [see H-F archives for more on this]). The body/shell was carefully split--as shown above -- to expose their innards. That was some time ago as this is not an easy project -- one issue is finding proper...
In a way, changing LO volume is like EQing ... based on POTENTIAL hearing perception at diff. levels ... like "loudeness" freqs based on Fletcher-Munson. Being an illogical purist, I almost didn't buy the CK4 because of the non-defeatable LO vol. Now, I wish all my DAPs had it. E.g., in a fixed LO device like Teclast T-51/S:Flo 2--Nationite. Hmmm ...I suppose one could lower it in the T-51's -- which has relatively high LO --  by simultaneously lowering ALL bands in its...
Do you have any solid references for this, as your remark is to new me? Indeed, as noted prev., the general "rule" I've seen most often for portable or other device with var. LO vol., is 100%. My reporting of the 66% "optimal" is based only on my CK4, and that was after a bit of subjective experimentation. I think the incentive to try LO below 100% was a post (AudioAsylum??) on the CS4398 DAC, as used in Colorfly.
Does the C4  feature variable vol. for LO?   I've had the Colorfly CK4 DAP for a few years. It has VARIABLE vol. for LO. I think vol. is controlled INSIDE the Cirrus DAC chip.    I used to operate LO with vol. at max. That's what's normally suggested. Then, I began experimenting and found that SQ improved SIGNIFICANTLY (for most subjective perceptions) when I reduced LO vol. I finally settled on about 2/3 (66%). That forces me to use the FULL range of my external...
Are you referring to the standard SSMH? In #6561, Goobley brought in the MiniMax (with its CCS tweak) into the discussion . So that's what I was kinda comparing the Borbely to.     IAC ... your point-by-point contrasts are good. However, I was largely referring to semantics and nomenclature used to generically describe BOTH amps, which is why I used quotations in #6567's remark: The amps ain't THAT different in that both are "vacuum tube and discrete solid state hybrid...
Sorry for just getting around to replying to your reply ;) The amps ain't THAT different in that both are "vacuum tube and discrete solid state hybrid headphone amplifier[s]" About that diode ... my bad on stating that being the ONLY part needed for a drop-in type CCS upgrade for the MSSH -- and YOUR bad for not noticing that :) Specifically ... if you look at the  the Borbely ckt you'll note two addit. transistors and three Rs  (Q4, Q5,R11/12/13 )., sorta similar to...