or Connect

Posts by alphaman

Thx guys.   yello131: Saw MusicaAcoustics.com, but it's $20 more than list (+ $10 s/h after that). Not sure its worth it for that much more.   Munky: Useful comments from an actual owner (per your Sig. --  hope it's accurate ;) Any IEM faster than DBA? Have you heard IE8 (or any Senn) to compare with?   I don't necessarily want "natural" -- mostly because of my overall IEM use is in a workout/action environment. When biking/jogging, one's attn span is only so...
Agreed about putting speed adjectives -- 'fast',  ''slow', etc. -- in context. I definitely  haven't heard all from the "combined pool of universal IEMs" either. But speed and dynamics are at the top of my wish list (these characteristics also seem to be ignored in most reviews; instead, we get the usual bass/mids/treble/soundstage/balance assessment!) Maybe reviewers need to learn some relevant semantics (see Refs below). I'm surprised to hear you note the FX700's are...
How long to properly break-in the FX700s?   Not sure this is a case for  all dynamics, but IE8s are notorious for their 'extended' (= several 100 hr!!) burn-in period. Not sure Senn intended it this way (and there are a very few who feel that Senn IEx -- in some ways -- sound worse after burn-in -- see anythingbutipod review). IMO, the IE8s are best (and possibly the overall best IEM) after the extended break-in. You gotta stick with them, folks -- buy them used (and...
For cycling, dancing, raving, or any activity -- or chores! -- where you need tunes that get you to move -- motivated -- the SM3 ain't gonna cut it. Not by far. I've been criticized by many in this thread for buying (and then dissing) these cans ...guilty! But, your honor, I was partially (but perhaps not deliberately) misled: so many reviews (both here and on other sites) point to "speed" and dynamics as one of the SM3's strong points. In fact, my Teclast R8 (came free...
Couple of more Q's... Munky mentioned the DBA (Fischer DBA-02, I assume) ... forgetting the $$ difference, which of the two (FX700 vs DBA-02) is faster, more dynamic (micro-, macro-), has more "slam" (aka "slammier", slam factor)? seyo-shop.com has been down for some time now. Dunno if/when they'll come back. Where else can one order these cans (I'm USA-based)?
"Stylish"? .... LOL! ... nothing "stylish" about one's BO/sweaty stench generated during a good workout, either. "Just sayin'." +++++ Talk to Tyll of Headroom about "style" ...
I have the 530s. Can't stand 'em, after over 2.5 yrs of IE8 use, and think they are lost cause -- uh, no matter which tip (including custom molds) one may fit on to them. (Heck, even the older E2C and freebie Teclast R8s that came with my T51 DAP are better than the 530s, IMHO of course) . Dunno about IEM brands/models I haven't heard (like the much acclaimed W4s, UEs, A-T, Monster, Ortofon, etc.) ... but despite my overall disappointment with EarSonics SM3v2 (and more's...
Wind noise is one type of noise. But there are other annoying infiltrations, too: traffic, office equip. you note, etc. High-frequency components are hard to attenuate IAC because the waves can literally slip thru the smallest openings.  
OK, cool (and thx!). So what's FASTER than IE8? Call me a speed freak! Also (and back to the FX700), how else do they better the IE8? I.e. (no pun intended) WRT dynamics (micro, macro), image focus, graininess (lack of coarseness), flat freq response (sounds that way to human ear, tho' measurements may not reflect that), overall timbral refinement, etc.
Good point about the bike + wind noise. And that's definitely something that SM3 (and similar IEM designs) have going for them.  A possible (and not perfect) solution is to use this: http://www.slipstreamz.com/news.asp?upd=1&newsID=10 http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/02/technology/02headphones.html (In fact, if you have IEM isolation problems anywhere, the Slipstream product can help). You can also use wide headband  -- one that also covers ears. In addition, I use wide...