Posts by alphaman

As far has better IEMs, I own IE8s (as well as Shure 530s). The IE8 is pretty much a hands-down winner between the two. The IE8s are about 2.5 yrs old now so methinks newer designs may be better. I'm thinking about Earsonics SM3 v2 (have no experience with Earsonics, but they do seem to have quite a reputation) and/or HiFiman RE262. Any IE8 user do a direct compare/contrast with RE262? (P.S. The answer to this query may lie in this forums dense archives, so while I...
Quote: First, see my dedicated thread on this issue. What I haven't yet posted in that thread (but noted above) is that I did finally receive a replacement T51, from HoD, but only after cattle-prodding them with email queries (a few times a week) and then (per their NEW demand) a whopping $18 return S/H (+ "service") PayPal request. I rec'd a "new" unit (no orig. display-case box, default IEMs, etc.) a few days ago. It works for now, but (as I just discovered) does not...
On reliability of this (and T51) device ...  I'm beginning to suspect that the symptomatically-similar "pattern" may be related to a QA/QC (manuf. parlance for "quality assurance" or "quality control") of one of the topological OEM components (e.g., power supply IC, etc.) This would somewhat exonerate Teclast ... I say somewhat because -- given the frequency and adamancy of user complaints either here or other forums/blogs -- I'm sure Teclast is aware of reliability...
Do you have any estimates on your "odometer" with your "golden" unit -- if you still have it (or when you had it) how many total hours of total use?   I don't think the reliability issues are related to how (un)carefully the device is used, other than outright abuse, tho' your putative "minimalist of ways to reduce potential unforeseen 'issues' " I'm sure did not injure the device ;)   As far as "plenty of users not having the same issues w/ hardware [of T51/SFlo2]" ......
a_tumiwa: I did not disassemble my units upon failure, but your symptoms are very similar to my three failed S?Flo2/T-51 DAPs. Any status updates on your unit?  
  s1rrah: If you were not monetarily bribed or under duress (e.g. you or your family held at axepoint by ruffians from Teclast/HoD/Nationite/Mp4Nation ;-) -- then what can one say? Wow! IMO, an "outlier". But what do I know? I agree about caring less for video (or ebook, photo, dictionary) features. I think the upcoming Fiio X3 may be ideal. Hopefully, it's a reliable and durable unit to boot.
-
amb's above reply is from May/30/2006. Class D seems to have evolved somewhat since then. IEEE even gave class D a spot in their top 11 technologies of the decade "award" earlier this year (uh ... #11, FWIW!). Also both the major (U.S-based) print mags, The Absolute Sound and Stereophile, gave the NAD M2 class-D integrated amp very heavy praise. The NAD M2 is, further, a digital class-D amp (note: the "D" in "class D" does not stand for "digital") and  -- FWIW -- can...