Posts by alphaman

In my use, 300+ hrs burn-in time before the '8s optimize.  Best tip for sonics and iso ... new Comply TS-500 ('spherical'), and old Comply T-500. BUT ... Comply foams are too $$ and the memory foam needs to be molded+held-in (a chore!). A double flange silicone type from Teclast R8 ("free" IEMs with DAP purchase) are overall best. Maybe similar to Sensorcom ?? Custom tips are ideal for serious IE8 use.  Or get another IEM ... maybe Sony EX1000 or JVC FX700 ... both are...
The new TS-500 (spherical) Comply foam (or even old Comply TS-500 ) -- see images below -- are better isolators than any stock Sennheiser IEx tip I know of. If you can get a double/triple-flange silicone, this will save a bit of time/hassle of compressing-holding-in-canal-while-foam-expands chore. The Comply's are $$$, too :( Probably, custom is best for long-term IE8 use.   Speaking of tips, I think the SM3v2's larger double-flange (stock) may be best (finally got...
  I appreciate you taking time to experiment (tho' I almost hate to display gratitude in that it is psychological friction and our strong-headedness that keeps things interesting and, more important, technological evolution moving fwd!). Bottom line: I wish you folks wouldn't beat me up a bit more! IAC ... I'm not surprised you did not hear the diffs. with that Mahler segment. "Audiophile" differences are often subtle and/or require some familiarity with the program...
  Matto: I'm not sure you know how I "think" -- ;)  -- but I  don't think I ever said dynamics are necessarily faster than BA (or vice versa). In fact, only a few posts ago I noted: -- As far as the comment ... "Possibly there are BA based phones that have problems with fast/complex tracks but I've yet to hear one. " I have (compared to IE8) ... and that BA is the SM3v2 I'm currently evaluating. But my SE530 (which are BA of course) are better than IE8s WRT this same...
I don't care for (nor have ever used) the term 'fanboyism' -- it seems to convey that subjects are immature and/or unsophisticated, which is not (IMO) what SM3 users ('fans') are.   As far as 'extrapolation' ... I subjectively 'weighed' the totality of sentiment and opinion thus far conveyed in this thread.   As far as the comment ... "Possibly there are BA based phones that have problems with fast/complex tracks but I've yet to hear one. " I have (compared to IE8) ......
illiguid: what other 'phones (not just IEMs for that matter) have you compared them to?   shotgunshane: if you possess/have possessed the cans in your sig. -- and, addit., have deliberately and extensively  conducted comparison tests amongst them all and the new SM3v2s -- I don't know how to explain your opinions other than some kind of difference in semantics. In fact, the more I read some of y'all's responses to my criticisms, the more I think many head-fi posters use...
Don't care for stock bi-flanges -- they are too stiff. And the stock (gray Complys) are too long (tho better sealing and very comfortable). Best universal tip are older yellow foam for Shure.   Partly disagree about your comment that SM3s "perform magnificently across the musical spectrum, but where they really, REALLY shine is electronica." [You may have not heard other some IEMs that perform better]  Not sure which type of 'electronica' you mean but the SM3v2 (for me...
Too lazy to look this up ... but are IE8 and FX700 in the same sonic category (like two 4-door mid-sized sedan autos: like Toyota Camry being better than Hyundai Sonata)? Or are we comparing the proverbial "apples to oranges"?   For me, the IE8s are "ideal" -- WRT freq. balance, dynamics -- but they could sound more refined (better mids, like SM3) and even more quickness (pace, rhythm, better timing) like SE530. I own the SE530s and SM3v2s so can respects their virtues in...
Does  Klipsch have a SMALL double-flange for wide-NOZZLE IEMs (e.g., Senn IEx, other dynamics)? Not much detail (specs) on Klipsch site :-(
May have said this before, but IMO all the stock SM3v2 flanged tips -- silicone? -- stink. They're cheaply made: "hard" enough to be uncomfortable and poor-fitting (molding in canal). Go back and seem my notes on Teclast R8 flanged tips. Dunno about Olives.