or Connect

Posts by alphaman

Your overall reaction/reply seems as if I offended you somehow. Sorry! IAC ...  I don't know what you own or what you've heard so it's hard to know where you're coming from. Hint, hint ... wink, wink ... your Head-Fi Community Profile is empty. I'm also equally baffled by your comment "IE8s or SM3s don't sound like Grado cans so I don't really know what to tell you". For approx. the same word-count, you may have said something far more useful, like ...   "…the GR10s have...
Quote: Which hybrid tips are you specifically referring to?   Bottom lines for what I want in an IEM ...    I want modern, solid-state sound. An IEM that you can use to keep you motivated while jogging or running. I find SM3s too laid back (tube-like). The IE8s are just about right, but I wouldn't mind if their mids were ALSO as refined/clean as SM3s. (Dunno if that's possible at any $$ range; I've seen this trade-off in not only cans but all transducers ... and...
The soundtrack has segments as fast as many MODERN house/trance/techno/electronica I've heard (faves of that genre include Orbital and Way Out West). In fact, that's what makes many of Zimmer's compositions unique: use (fusion) of orchestra + computer-based percussive/dynamic elements. But (and especially in the train sequence) visual/sound-effects editing have seamlessly merge with the music soundtrack. I didn't overall care for that movie, but the audio/video/film...
Quote: Just got done comparing beyerdynamic DT880 (std. cans)  to SM3v2 (IEM). An apples vs. oranges for sure. But not WRT the subjective metric topical to this thread. To wit, then, the hands down champion here is the DT880. This is interesting as it means PRaT does not really depend on moving total amount of mass. The SM3s seem to hang onto each "pulse"/music note/whatever a bit longer, dragging down the P/R deleteriously.    Media used: Batman Begins (2005) DVD...
I've been asking versions of this query in various IEM threads and am getting very ... ahem ... confusing and disparate responses. Is this a hard question? Why is this subjective metric not included in most 'reviews'? I find that if IEMs or std. cans lack this quality, I get distracted and bored (opposite of engaged and "into" music or movie). [ Note: For background (e.g., Muzak or elevator) music, or 'slow' (non-tempo) music, P/R may not matter -- ditto for audiobooks...
IE8 > SM3v2 > SE530   Notes: It is assumed we are only talking sonics here. SE530s are distant last place in above ranking. 
Not orig.suggestions here by any means but may I further push reviews for Grado GR10 and Sony EX1000?
Probably very redundant queries here  but I'll ask and hope that you can at least point to archive links for answers... How much in keeping are Grado IEMs compared to tradit. Grado cans (SR 80, 325is, etc.) -- i.e., WRT their distinctive sonic characteristics ? E.g., my SR-80s are very fast/dynamic with punchy bass and smooth (if fwd) mids. They are not refined, nor is their freq. response extended (at either end). But the SR-80s are pace-and-rhythm kings of all the...
In my use, 300+ hrs burn-in time before the '8s optimize.  Best tip for sonics and iso ... new Comply TS-500 ('spherical'), and old Comply T-500. BUT ... Comply foams are too $$ and the memory foam needs to be molded+held-in (a chore!). A double flange silicone type from Teclast R8 ("free" IEMs with DAP purchase) are overall best. Maybe similar to Sensorcom ?? Custom tips are ideal for serious IE8 use.  Or get another IEM ... maybe Sony EX1000 or JVC FX700 ... both are...
The new TS-500 (spherical) Comply foam (or even old Comply TS-500 ) -- see images below -- are better isolators than any stock Sennheiser IEx tip I know of. If you can get a double/triple-flange silicone, this will save a bit of time/hassle of compressing-holding-in-canal-while-foam-expands chore. The Comply's are $$$, too :( Probably, custom is best for long-term IE8 use.   Speaking of tips, I think the SM3v2's larger double-flange (stock) may be best (finally got...