Posts by alphaman

Wind noise is one type of noise. But there are other annoying infiltrations, too: traffic, office equip. you note, etc. High-frequency components are hard to attenuate IAC because the waves can literally slip thru the smallest openings.  
OK, cool (and thx!). So what's FASTER than IE8? Call me a speed freak! Also (and back to the FX700), how else do they better the IE8? I.e. (no pun intended) WRT dynamics (micro, macro), image focus, graininess (lack of coarseness), flat freq response (sounds that way to human ear, tho' measurements may not reflect that), overall timbral refinement, etc.
Good point about the bike + wind noise. And that's definitely something that SM3 (and similar IEM designs) have going for them.  A possible (and not perfect) solution is to use this: http://www.slipstreamz.com/news.asp?upd=1&newsID=10 http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/02/technology/02headphones.html (In fact, if you have IEM isolation problems anywhere, the Slipstream product can help). You can also use wide headband  -- one that also covers ears. In addition, I use wide...
You've all got me interested in these IEMs. Now, two important Q's.  (1) In direct comparison to Sennheiser IE8, which one is better WRT speed, dynamics? (2) Can one significantly improve the isolation of these IEMs (beyond the sub-par supplied tips)? Thx!
Too polite ... that's exactly the adjective that came to mind as I made my way back from my usual bicycle/exercise outing -- an activity in which I use a DAP, headphone amp, and IEMs. Indeed, if one needs driving beat, pace and rhythm -- and one has heard IEMs better capable of these sonic attributes (IE8s, FX700, etc.) -- then these activities are much less enjoyable (and more chore-like) with the "wrong" cans. Not what I want.  In fact, I very rarely just listen to...
Agree that they are not "fast", at least compared to IE8. Still, a lot of folks/reviewers note that SM3s are fast and dynamic. Dunno what to say about that??!!   SM3v2's are, IMO anyway, ... too tame, too gentle, & too afraid to bite (when biting and violence seems appropriate). In one (simple, unsophisticated but IMO accurate) word, they're boring. That said, they are quite lush, with "good" bloom. They are like a rich/dense holiday cake (fruit  and nut cake) that you...
I've been wondering why the German/Austrian heavyweights of headphone design -- AKG, beyer, Senn -- haven't offered too many choices in high-end IEMs. Then, I saw this ... http://www.inearmatters.net/2011/06/akg-getting-serious.html ...  http://eu.akg.com/akg-k3003-eu.html  US$1500 is no chump change. Hopefully, the technology AKG uses for this high-end model will trickle down to something more affordable. BTW (and speaking of "German" transducers), my fave 'fones may be...
You've pointed out some important aspects of human psychology. One thing that the human mind gravitates toward is to come to some sort of "final" end-of-the-day decision (no matter how right or wrong it may ultimately be) -- so we don't waste time dwelling on stuff and get on with other important aspects of our lives. To save face (may be they genuinely believe it or it's confabulation or cognitive dissonance) humans will also defend their position to the hilt. To be...
If you're suggesting customizing the SM3s specifically ... yes, this WILL help with certain sonic attributes such as sound-staging, imaging/focus, bass "tightness". But, it WON'T really help with help with most of attributes of which I was critical. Notably, dynamics, speed and the midrange "hump".    
Actually, I did read up -- tho' not exhaustively. I wanted midrange smoothness, fullness, "lushness". Perhaps a tube-like or warm/romantic sound that SM3's seem to be decent at (and that IE8s marginally lack). I thought my fast solid-state electronics and other PRATty front-end gear would somewhat let me have and eat some of that perfect cake. But the real world has a way of, well, putting you in the real world ... To wit: A few hours after I wrote my initial "review"...