or Connect

Posts by alphaman

Not sure what if anything is "obvious" but ..."disregard the obvious.": One example ...  a user is intoxicated/'under-the-influence' while jamming, so everything sounds the same (or auditory perception is to be, hence, mistrusted). I was going to include this my orig reply but I thought it was an obvious/banal enough an occurrence  for headphoners (and hence filtered out and accounted for) to be redundant waste-of-bandwidth at the mere mention of it. BTW: I even include...
A P/R reference, Way Out West - Spaceman - Robert Babicz Mix  ... Sounds better in 320k MP3 (26MB file download here).   Also by WoW ... Way Out West - The Fall (Original Full Length Mix):   Oh ... forgot to note ... IE8 -- with caveat: of the IEMs I've heard -- is by far best.  Spaceman has several layers of bass -- deep/heavy/rapid-house bass. I don't think IE8's bass is overwhelming or exaggerated as others suggest. It is clean and tight, and qty-wise,...
Another biggie to add to this list as I just noticed that it happened to moi ... after about 5min of relatively loud (slightly uncomfortable-level) listening (program music: EDM/house music), the "acoustic window" started monotone on me. I swapped IEMs (IE8s <--> SE530 <--> SM3) and it was more difficult to tell them apart. A "tired eardrum"  effect? Also ( and hardly new, but perhaps bares repeating in the light of this message's discussion), other eardrum acoustic...
Folks ... I want to laugh but it seems like I have to DIY my own jokes ... No, not Steve, Joe or John (Grado), but more likely one of their b*tches, pee-ons, or Omegas. That sounds much more logical and incredulous ... right? Speaking of logic, and somewhat related to the issue The Larch just raised, it seems there is formidable problem ... http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=critical-mass        
"The GR10 sound exactly like the e-Q5 [...]" Well, I should be fair and try to list off some significant non-political, non-financially-motivated reasons why two dissimilar IEMs may sound the same.    Health/physiological: Low blood sugar Head cold, flu, or being ill Emotional stress (effect on psychoacoustics) Change in the weather (pressure/barometric)   Logical fallacy biases / psychology: Cognitive dissonance Selection bias (including time...
The e-Q5 vs. GR10 issue is very confusing to those of us who are getting ready to make a purchasing decision.  dftk is an administrator (i.e., ttbomk, has financial interests) at a for-profit site. So brand/$$/politics -- i.e, business as usual? 'What politics', you ask? Well, check out the domain name for starters anythingbutipod.com. Now I ain't no Apple lover, but if there is one brand of DAP that scores WRT reliability and customer support, it's the folks in...
Rubbish! “You can get more with a 2x4 and a kind word than just a kind word.” http://kindwordand2x4.blogspot.com/    
goodvibes: you have, relatively speaking, very high-end gear. And you seem to value subjective metrics like 'PRaT' (Naim) and 'fast transients' (Naim/Stax).  Given these personal acoustic 'values', I'd say your favorable comments re: GR10 are in alignment with my top IEM requirements. I'm still a bit uncomfortable that you haven't had the opportunity to compare the GR10s to many other IEMs (not your fault, of course!). Given that, I disagree with your comment "...as dry...
Your overall reaction/reply seems as if I offended you somehow. Sorry! IAC ...  I don't know what you own or what you've heard so it's hard to know where you're coming from. Hint, hint ... wink, wink ... your Head-Fi Community Profile is empty. I'm also equally baffled by your comment "IE8s or SM3s don't sound like Grado cans so I don't really know what to tell you". For approx. the same word-count, you may have said something far more useful, like ...   "…the GR10s have...
Quote: Which hybrid tips are you specifically referring to?   Bottom lines for what I want in an IEM ...    I want modern, solid-state sound. An IEM that you can use to keep you motivated while jogging or running. I find SM3s too laid back (tube-like). The IE8s are just about right, but I wouldn't mind if their mids were ALSO as refined/clean as SM3s. (Dunno if that's possible at any $$ range; I've seen this trade-off in not only cans but all transducers ... and...