or Connect

Posts by alphaman

Up for sale is my Headroom "LITTLE" (Premium Module) + "MORE POWER SUPPLY" ( + massive upgrades!)    I am original/only owner.   I purchased Little in 1995/6ish and had it upgraded in early 1997 as follows:   Little incorporates the Premium Module (OPA627-based). See photos! This was the BEST Headroom module at the time (incorporated into their top-end desktop units that sold for over $1000!!).     More Power Supply replaced the Little's original adapter (More...
I got a few private inquires (from head-fiers who saw my whacky Profile page) about my beyer DT-911. This was while ago when I had little time to get them out of storage and test them for use, sale, etc.   Well, these gems are outta the box ... tested (all is excellent) ... what you see in the photos is what you get (some images from 1993/1993 catalog also included).   About the sound ... (you can check my Profile page to read my gear list--i.e., what I have to compare...
Not sure if anyone has commented on the effects of filters vs. the new Harman "target" response curve ... the filterless or gray bandwidths (above) look more like what the Harman paper suggests folks prefer (at least the panel Harman used with selected non-IEM cans) http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-target-response-curve-research-update
I think you're right about "out of luck".  As far as effect on sound (for affected Left IEM) ... I can hear more hiss and a bit more volume (there's a chan. imbalance now) ... but otherwise not much diff.Due to that dislodged filter, however, I am a bit hesitant to try the mods suggested in this thread.Also agree with the durability/design flaw comment (tho pretty much all IEMs I own -- including Senn IE-8s -- have had their own issues). Going back to my prev. remark about...
Great topic, all!   I have the SE530s, still with white stock filters. May try the filter change (I run my ES SM3-V2's filterless, and that made a huge diff ... I almost sold them prior to that mod ... so I definitely can identify with efficacy of mods like this!)...   ... but first, I have a little problem with my SE530 filter/dampers ...   Right is still intact and clean.   For Left side, the filter has fallen through the metal can into the lower cavity of IEM...
I vote this as the most-useful post in this thread ;)
Thx .... I found the "Crowd-Designed" thread shortly after I posted my above query .... not sure how much of the stuff shown in the images actually made it on to final hold-in-your-hand product you get after the lascivious unboxing ... but I stole this from that thread ...  ... but these threads are far too long and complex for a simpleton like moi to wade thru ... I'm still waitin' for the decoder/FPGA and other "important"  component lists.    Also, a HUGE criticism...
Many modern manufs. of similar products (e.g., HiFiMan, Colorfly), have an open-book policy as far as which chipset and/or opmaps they are using. For AMR Audio (UK) products like iFi, I'm having a hard time finding these "Manufacturer specs" either on iFi's official web site, e-zine reviews or forum threads/blogs... ...so ... what's the big mystery ... what's under the hood? We can start with "its special Dual-Core Burr-Brown native DSD/PCM chipset at the heart"......
It also says this:"...Email by email, thought by thought, these suggestions make the born of UD120. " Poetry ... lyrics to an opera or  song ... well, maybe the UD120 "sings" music better ... 'cause if Stoner was commissioned to write for my opera company, I'm firing the librettist! Make the born ... Make The Born ... MAKE THE BORN .... nah, not quite ;)
Since you, bluemonkeyflyer, seem to be interested in modifying the FR curve of the AKG, why not set a goal ...say emulating the notably flat curve of the Philips Fidelio X1... (above from Tyll's IF)   It'd be interesting to see/hear how deliberate curve flattening helps and/or hurts other aspects of AKG stock sound. E.g., dynamics, "speed", slam, punchiness, etc. Another possible approach to modding the AKG might be experimenting with the side "vents" covered with...