Posts by alphaman

It also says this:"...Email by email, thought by thought, these suggestions make the born of UD120. " Poetry ... lyrics to an opera or  song ... well, maybe the UD120 "sings" music better ... 'cause if Stoner was commissioned to write for my opera company, I'm firing the librettist! Make the born ... Make The Born ... MAKE THE BORN .... nah, not quite ;)
Since you, bluemonkeyflyer, seem to be interested in modifying the FR curve of the AKG, why not set a goal ...say emulating the notably flat curve of the Philips Fidelio X1... (above from Tyll's IF)   It'd be interesting to see/hear how deliberate curve flattening helps and/or hurts other aspects of AKG stock sound. E.g., dynamics, "speed", slam, punchiness, etc. Another possible approach to modding the AKG might be experimenting with the side "vents" covered with...
Just going over some of Tyll's comments, at IF, WRT sealed vs. open. Specifically, he noted that for pro use, important diffs between the sealed Focal Spirit Professional vs. "open" HD800. Not sure the HD800's driver is sealed or ported (like the AKG of this thread).  I don't own a sealed set (any model) at the moment. So maybe those of you who do can comment on sealed sound (disregarding the isolation issue, of course) vs. open-back.   Another thing to explore might be...
It's important to note that while metrics (objective data/graphs) may, indeed, improve as a result of various mod(s), the actual subjective sound may not correlate to those changed metrics. E.g., flattening of the freq. response may not appeal to all ears (as the ever-controversial diffuse field vs. free field results indicate). One particular subjective (controversial) quality is PRAT. I find that even 'phones that display a clean/impressive impulse response may not, in...
In traditional loudspeaker design, acoustic suspension (i.e. non-reflex or non-port or no passive rad. or transmission line) gives tight but wimpy bass. Whereas, reflex/ported/etc. gives more powerful (deeper/punchier) but not-as-accurate bass.I don't know the specifics of the k701's actual driver -- but there is a topical h-f driver thread, with some good info and pics.... Also note that way back in June 2012, in the 701 vs. 702 thread, MDR30 noted (about the above diver...
While the change in elasticity (compliance) of that tape stuff may contribute minorly to burn-in improvement, it's removal (partial or full) seems to perform an entirely different acoustic function: increase bass. The burn-in for the k701, IME, qualitatively reduces glare/brightness and improves image focus. Those contributions come from changes in mechanical compliance of the main drivers as well as, perhaps, the "breaking in" of the wiring/coils/electricals.
Hmm...and only a smaller diameter of it covers the actual port hole. In dynamic loudspeakers, a type of similar implementation is called a passive radiator (sort of a dummy driver) : Anyone with a zest to experiment care to use some other material?? .... say rubber-balloon latex. Or create a tuned/damped system, again borrowing from speaker design....... using, maybe, the filter from a cigarette? A transmission-line system is used in some "tuned" loudspeaker designs, like...
Yes, that wimpy, slamless bass is an important drawback of the k701/702.    I have not tried any version of the mod yet, but the concept is intriguing. WRT the stock unit, I wonder why incorporate a reflex port when it's to be covered up at the factory? Maybe the designers found an easy way to present two different sonic signatures during the prototype phase ... the no-port version got voted in 51/49 (out of 100) im Wien, Österreich HQ auf Akustische und Kino-Geräte...
You completely missed the boat, dude .... it ain't 'bout "makin' sense" ... it's all about 'sperimentin' and havin' fun ... pushin' the budget stuff as far as it'll go (couplin' it with happenin' PSUs, etc.) ...So an empirical/experimental objective may be: how's she (Miss Budget)  holdin' out -- after all this tweaking -- 'gainst da 'spensive stuff.If yer JUST noticin' the asymmetry of folks pairin' up budget with 'spensive ... get outta the closet ... this practice ain't...
Battery use has pluses ......and drawbacks ... can't supply enough instantaneous current from a chemical reaction ... you can DIY an add-on "capacitor bank".