or Connect

Posts by alphaman

I did comment (see above) on the (very likely) possibility that -- for $$ reasons -- manufs. do their TOP-END model layout/design first (the one with dual dacs, upsampling SRC chips, etc). For lower-end units, you'll  often see some PCB pads only (with certain components missing, or blank space). It's the same as major car manufs ... same chassis for Honda/Accura or Toyota/Lexus. EDIT: Not new to many of you but AK's new  top-line DAP, AK380, has two AKM AK4490 (DAC)...
..The S/N improvements for dual DAC topologies are in the chips' datasheet. It can be slightly measured in the lab, but subjective/listening tests are more important/revealing. No: modern DAC ICs don't draw that much current (even 192kHz files only tax a PCM1792 45mA max -- compare that to what device's LCD driver sucks). True, dual DACs create the need for additional components (mostly passives), but those current demands (and PCB footprint space)) are minimal.If a cheap...
Here's an example (PAW Gold)......only one PCM1792 used. An added PCM1792 -- plus a few extra components and slight re-arrangement of PCB components -- gets you important improvements in S/N, etc.Then again, the manufs/designers of these DAP ain't ignorant ... so added goodness (at pennies on the dollar) can go in the multi-$K "higher-end" DAPs. It's possible that two-DAC-chip design was thought up of FIRST. But then the CEOs and marketing dept. came in with other ideas...
Cool thread ... just subscribed.   As an owner of several (slightly older) Chinese DAPs--QLS. Colorfly, Teclast--I do note important diffs. Back in the "early" days (2009-2011), there were some reliability issues, but the  Chinese seemed to have licked most of them. All my 4-5 year units are going strong, some enduring daily use. (You have to take care of them -- not just toss in non-ventilating, high-vibration/abuse environment, like a back pocket).   Hints for...
As far as full-size cans go ... and IME, of course ... The K701 are light (mass), but very large and BULKY (e.g., as you reach reach over to a shelf, the 701's frame hits something preventing freedom of movement). Next, there's that leather top-band with the hot-spot issue. Also those velour pads ... after a while, as they get soiled, they get very "gross" feeling (which is UNcomfortable).Sennheisers are much better in the regards mentioned above. I've heard that the HD700...
Thus far, for all three Grado cans I own, I've used nothing but OEM (or TTVJ flats for my HP-1s). The OEM pads, aside being rather $$$, don't last that long (even when only stored). Blame that open-cell foam that disintegrates in Earth's atmosphere!! Well ... I looked on eBay and saw quite a few "new" Chinese offerings, most for 1/4 the price of OEM/Amazon. Speaking of Amazon, there's a 3rd party manuf. there (Ear Zonk) that offers Grado pads for about 1/2 OEM. Anyone...
Good to see this thread active again.   One of my daily-portable-use HAs is a Pimeta2 -- a unit that has been going strong for over 5 years (some early issues -- see way back in this thread -- but after those resolved, all good and RELIABLE).   Some noted tweaks/upgrades I added to Pimeta2:   tri-color-LED battery condition ckt (a mini daughterboard on Vero) 12v battery pwr using AA NiMH [the AD825 really need more than 9v] AD825 opamps   One specific mystery...
Not really a portable device (116mm height, 50 width, 188 depth), but along the same line as using multiple "classic" multi-bit DACs (like Philips) in a parallel arrangement:   Google "TDA1387 8x parallel DAC from China" (I won't give eBay or Taobao free back links in head-fi because we have our own traders' sub-forum here!!!)   It's a NOS (non-oversampling) processor that uses eight (8x) TDA1387 in parallel ... it looks like this: I think cart100.com has it for...
Up for sale is my Headroom "LITTLE" (Premium Module) + "MORE POWER SUPPLY" ( + massive upgrades!)    I am original/only owner.   I purchased Little in 1995/6ish and had it upgraded in early 1997 as follows:   Little incorporates the Premium Module (OPA627-based). See photos! This was the BEST Headroom module at the time (incorporated into their top-end desktop units that sold for over $1000!!).     More Power Supply replaced the Little's original adapter (More...
I got a few private inquires (from head-fiers who saw my whacky Profile page) about my beyer DT-911. This was while ago when I had little time to get them out of storage and test them for use, sale, etc.   Well, these gems are outta the box ... tested (all is excellent) ... what you see in the photos is what you get (some images from 1993/1993 catalog also included).   About the sound ... (you can check my Profile page to read my gear list--i.e., what I have to compare...