or Connect

Posts by amcananey

I had that problem with both my HE-400s and my HE-500s. In short, the same answer held true: they sounded thick, slow and muddy out of tube amps (WA6, SinglePower MPX3, Eddie Current Laconic EC-01) and good (for the HE-400) or wonderful (for the HE-500) out of solid state amps. My favorite amp for my HE-500s is my Neco Soundlab PORTABLE amp. Crazy? Sure, but I know what I hear. I've recommended the Neco to two others for use with the HE-500 and they were blown away. Build...
[OK...deep breath....put on flame-retardant suit...] I dunno, maybe I'm just crazy, but the HE-6s don't seem THAT hard to drive... ...as long as you use a solid state amp. My Audio-Gd NFB-10SE doesn't even break a sweat driving these through the balanced output. When set on high gain, my M^3 only needed to got to about 12 o'clock on the volume pot. Heck, even my little O2 did a good job on high gain (although admittedly set to 3 o'clock on the volume pot). I'm getting my...
[OK...deep breath....put on flame-retardant suit...] I dunno, maybe I'm just crazy, but the HE-6s don't seem THAT hard to drive... ...as long as you use a solid state amp. My Audio-Gd NFB-10SE doesn't even break a sweat driving these through the balanced output. When set on high gain, my M^3 only needed to got to about 12 o'clock on the volume pot. Heck, even my little O2 did a good job on high gain (although admittedly set to 3 o'clock on the volume pot). I'm getting my...
The problem is that the Vincent: (a) can probably blow the HE-6s into orbit without the adapter if I'm not careful, (b) is located in the living room, where I don't do much listening, (c) is in a cabinet that makes it difficult to access the speaker taps, even with the adapter, (d) is huge and heavy, so not something I casually move or pull out. The NFB-10SE should be good, however.
Ha Ha! Yes, you convinced me. I've got a Vincent SV-236Mk. I may have to start with that....but I also have an Audio-Gd NFB-10SE, so that should also work as a starting point (6W into 50 Ohm). My HE-6s arrive tomorrow...I'll let you know what I think...
Thanks for the feedback. That's particularly interesting about the difference between SS and tube amps.   Has anyone heard the HE-6s out of a Woo Audi WA6-SE or a Bottlehead S.E.X.?
Thanks for the feedback. Has anyone heard the HE-6s out of a Woo Audi WA6-SE or a Bottlehead S.E.X.?
Thanks for the feedback. Has anyone heard the HE-6s out of a Woo Audi WA6-SE or a Bottlehead S.E.X.?
Sale pending. I will close this listing in the mean time. If the sale doesn't go through, I will re-open it. Thanks for all the offers!