Posts by amcananey

That's because thus far I haven't figured out a way to rig the rocket booster packs such that they will enable the Crack to maintain a constant velocity of 88 mph. With variable thrust and acceleration, it is still too difficult to time the lightning strike just right...
Ahhhhh, but you see, my Crack isn't ridiculous.I left ridiculous behind a looooooooong time ago. I am fully into absurd territory.
I wasn't making fun of him. I was laughing WITH him, not AT him, and I'm glad he's still with us after that scare!
Word. That is seriously the funniest, most effed-up way to test the Crack I've ever heard of. Next thing I know you'll tell us your source only outputs a signal on the right channel...except when there is a Tuesday with a full moon, in which case it is reversed...Adam
I find the Bottlehead Crack to be detailed and accurate, with solid (but not overemphasized) bass. I've owned and used plenty of tube amps that were slow, thick and lacking in detail. The Crack is not one of those. As for trying more expensive amps, what would you try? I've gone as high as the Woo Audio WA22 with every upgrade tube they offer (total over $2,000). WHEN USED WITH THE HD600s / HD800s, it was no contest. The Crack cleaned house and made the WA22 look...
LOL. I had to laugh at that one, too. I would run out and buy a pair from Radio Shack or Walmart or wherever, just to get myself up and running. Congrats on the build, you won't be disappointed!
 I agree it is a matter of taste, but I don't think it is just a question of being able to generate enough voltage swing. Take a look at the solid state amps I listed. I owned all of those (and still own some of them). As a group, those are pretty powerful amps with plenty of voltage swing. It may be that the HD600s are over-damped with the low output impedance on those amps -- I can't say for sure. All I know is that the Crack pairs incredibly well with the HD600s, in a...
I don't know anything about the Dr.Dac2, but it is clearly a solid state amp. I also don't know anything about the IE 80s. But I do know that bass out of the HD600s is radically different out of the Crack than it is out of any solid state amp I've tried, including Burson, Violectric V181, HiFiMAN EF-6, the ECP Audio DSHA-1, Beta 22, etc. etc. Will using a Crack achieve what Oversemper is looking for? I don't know. I haven't heard the IE 80. But I wouldn't discount the...
blueangel2323 his the nail on the head. 1. I've owned Burson gear before. Frankly, I thought it sounded boring and dull. Technically competent? Yes. But not musical. The Burson Soloist is the wrong choice for the HD600s, but not because it is expensive or over the top. It is the wrong choice because it isn't the best match. Of all the amps I've tried with the HD600 (and HD800, for that matter), the Bottlehead Crack is easily the best. Yes, it is a DIY kit, but if you...
Look, I don't love the way Bottlehead runs the order process, but I understand why they do it. 1. They don't pack and ship individual kits as order comes in (e.g., one Crack, then one S.E.X., then one Stereomour, then another Crack, then an Eros, then a Quickie, etc.). Instead, they pack kits in batches. One week they might pack 50 Crack kits, then the next week they pack 50 S.E.X. kits, then the week after that they pack 100 Quickie kits (I'm just using sample numbers,...