Posts by amcananey

Thanks, Doc. I've since become aware of that solution.
"@amcananey, its mild steel of course its going to oxidize with moisture, they paint cars for that very reason. " That's great...as long as you know that it is "mild steel". And how exactly am I supposed to know that? I wouldn't know steel from any other metal. I know the chassis is aluminum, and I know aluminum doesn't rust. Beyond that I don't have a clue.
 Doc,I'm a big fan of your products, own 4 of them, and regularly recommend them quite loudly here.But I do find the issue of the bell end frustrating. When I see a couple of unfinished wooden blocks in the package, with instructions on how to glue them together, it is obvious to me that they need to be glued together. And it is also fairly clear that if I want the wood case painted or stained, that I have to do that. Moreover, given the way the case works, I can build the...
In theory, it's a plug and play affair even without the Speedball. As I understand it, the 6SN7 is just a 12AU7 in a different package. It isn't a near-equivalent, it IS equivalent. In any case, I have the Speedball installed. And I have tried 4 different adapters and probably 15+ different 6SN7s. The noise was intolerable with all of them. According to Bottlehead, the way to avoid this is by installing a separate 6.3V DC power supply for the input tube. But that is way...
I would say: don't bother. I do NOT have any problems with noise from my router (or any other source), but I have 4 of those adapters from 3 different manufacturers and all of them induce intolerable noise with 6SN7s. You can avoid the issue by building a separate power supply for the input tube, but all I can say is: it's not worth it. The Crack sounds great with 12AU7s, so why chase other tubes that are highly unlikely to be an improvement? An easier option would be to...
FWIW, my experience has generally been that leather pads on open-backed headphones are not an upgrade. I do have leather pads (including several pairs of J$ pads) on all of my closed-back headphones. My guess is that creating leather pads for the HD600s (a) isn't worth it, and (b) will be much harder than you anticipate. I suspect that the leather will make it very difficult to get the plastic parts to hold to the frame. Best regards, Adam
I'm not a big believer in differences among DACs, but I've managed to convince myself that the best DACs I've heard are Audio-Gd DACs based on PCM1704UK chips. I have 3 of them, one of which can play high-rez files. No idea if that answers your question, though!
Yeah, I'm just reacting to the tendency when buying a DAC to focus on the maximum resolution it can handle. I think people focus on that because it is a number they can easily point to, and higher resolution always has to be better, right? I followed that thinking myself when buying DACs, only to realize that...none of the music that interests me is available in high resolution format. HD Tracks, etc. are basically a wasteland as far as I'm concerned. I've managed to buy...
The important part of that statement isn't the "ALL", it's "the information that's picked up by the microphones and recording equipment".If you capture all of the information recorded by a poor microphone and recording equipment, then you still don't have as much information as a 44.1 kHz sample made using modern equipment.Moreover, at some level analog stops being continuous. Think about film photography. It's analog, right? Well, sure. But if you really magnify it, you...
Were any of those albums originally recorded on high-rez equipment? (Before you answer, bear in mind that just because something is analog doesn't mean it is necessarily high resolution.) A high resolution version of a standard resolution recording doesn't provide you with anything other than a bigger file. You can't create data that was never there in the first place (meaning in the original recording).