Posts by wotts

I picked mine up for $600. It was a little rough on the face and the antenna was broken. The seller gave me a replacement piece though. One channel has gone scratchy on me after it runs for a while - the heat sinks get hot too. It really needs to visit a tech. At the time, I thought I got a decent price, but for what it will cost in repairs, I should have paid the $1000-1200 for a restored unit. I see them on AK from time to time.
  I've read a few of these before. I forgot all about it.
There is one here for $400, but I have a 1250 and a 1980, so it is hard to justify. And there is the 980 on AK...
  I wish my company would do this. I had a supervisor who tried to implement a system to reward efficiency - if the team hit the build goal, you get to go home and are paid until the end of your shift. The caveat was it had to be done with quality. If the FPY (first pass yield) dropped, you stayed to rework. Unfortunately, it never got off the ground.

I always found them muddy and congested as well. I did like the 3, but I still prefer the HE-6.
I'm using some McIntosh XR1051 with my 1980, but I picked up the Pioneer S-1010 from Skylab and they are pretty fantastic as well.
And that was the store doing the packaging with insurance, yes?
  Standing invitation! It's not a castle, but there will be eats and bubbly.   I'll check with him. I believe it is about two hours from my place. That will really save on shipping. I guess I could get the 1980 and 1250 done at the same time. It will get me listening to my Marantz.