Posts by lukeman3000

I was looking at these two different set of cans today:   DT 770 Pro 80 ohm   DT 990 Pro 250 ohm   and I noticed a rather large discrepancy in price. I thought that since the 990s were the bigger number (more recent model I would assume?) that they would be more expensive, but this does not seem to be the case.   Is it because of the 80 ohm specification that the price is higher for the DT 770s? I did notice that the DT 770 250 ohm are $175... What's the...
Hello; I am looking at a couple different Beyerdynamics for a friend of mine who is building a gaming PC. I have a pair of DT770 Pro 80ohm and absolutely love them.   However, after reading about the DT990 Pros, I'm thinking they may be the way to go because they're an open headphone. Which leads me to my questions:   1. Are open or closed headphones generally better for gaming?   2. Have the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 32ohm been discontinued? I can't find them...
Ok, great.   The ONLY thing that I dislike about the Xonar is that I'm not sure where I would be at in terms of EAX effects.   I still play games like F.E.A.R. that use EAX (without OpenAL support), so having the Creative Titanium X-Fi is nice because it is able to faithfully reproduce those EAX effects. And I must say, it greatly enhances the game.   That said, will I pretty much have to give up EAX effects if I move to a Xonar? I have heard that Xonar has GX2, but it...
Is the only difference between those cards their interface?   The DX is a PCI-e interface while the D1 is a PCI interface -- both cards are almost the exact same price. Is one interface better than the other? Does PCI have lower latency than PCI-e, or vice versa?   In short, which card should I get, and why?   Also, I was looking at both the D1 and the DX, and neither seem to have a digital optical port .. ?   Edit: Ok, looks like there's a SPDIF to digital optical...
I need a sound card that has   Dolby Headphone Dolby Digital Live Digital optical output   I prefer Dolby Headphone over CMSS-3D (seems to have better positioning), but sometimes, I like to game on my plasma tv and use my real surround sound system. So for that, I need dolby digital live so that I can send a 5.1 signal to my receiver via digital optical cable.   I was looking at a Xonar DG, but, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have DDL.   My current...
Just want to say thanks for saying this; I did the same thing and it seemed to eliminate my rattle. I didn't take the driver all the way out -- I didn't want to mess with the silicone if I didn't have to. But I did thoroughly inspect the black foam piece for any hairs or other debris and cleaned out what little I could find. That, in combination with removing the staples that were in the cotton ring (and sewing it instead) seems to have done the trick.   I was going to...
Thanks for your suggestions -- The only thing is that discrete game/voice volume is quite important to me (and my brother(s)) as gaming is pretty much 100% of what the mixamp will be used for.   I actually already have an Astro mixamp, and I absolutely love it. The amount of inputs on the thing is ridiculous, but very useful to me. One thing that I started doing recently is piping my iphone's sound through the mixamp and sitting it on the desk in front of me so that I can...
What the title says..mostly. I want to get my brothers a good pair of headphones. One will be used for music listening/gaming while the other will be used primarily for gaming.   $60 (give or take a few) is the cap per headphone, not total.   Also, a mic is not necessary, but a headphone conducive to mic mods would be good because I know that most of the time, you get more quality out of a mic-less headphone for the same price. That said, I'm open to mic'd...
Yes, is there a template and/or instructions on how to make this thing?   What did you use to cut it?
Very interesting - I wonder if it matters which of the 3.5 plugs off of the Y-splitter you plug the headphones into, and which you plug the mic into? I would think that it would..   After searching around some more, I found this mic mod for the DT770. Looks pretty pro huh? I would be more inclined to do something like this because it looks like all he has to do is lift that little bracket off of the hinge to remove the mic assembly. Pretty sweet..