Posts by Argyris

It's most likely to purposely add a bit of midbass bloom around the resonant frequency of the driver. The DT880, unlike the Sennheiser HD 5xx and HD 6x0 lines, has a fairly flat impedance curve, but it does still have a bit of a broad bump centering around 80 Hz. When run from a higher impedance source output (i.e. the system is not properly damped), a headphone with non-linear impedance will produce more output around the peak frequency of its impedance curve, the...
 Yep. Same here. They've sounded the same to me ever since their second hour of use, the first being devoted to me getting used to the sound. IME, burn in happens between the ears. I liken getting a new pair of headphones to getting a new eyeglass prescription: you have about a day of bubble vision while you get used to the new lenses, and then it magically goes away. The glasses themselves of course didn't change; you just adjusted to them and eventually stored this...
 Hmm. They had the taping money to your headphones idea before I did. Seems like I'm onto something here...
 A more direct way to achieve a smoother high end I would think would be, instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a cable, to just take the paper bills themselves and place them over the transducer. One might have to cut some strategically placed holes in them in order to stop the bills impeding too much sound, but then, if you're willing to throw multiple hundreds of dollars at the problem anyway, destroying the money doesn't really matter and in fact gives you...
 I had an HP50 briefly but was forced to give it up as it was the most shockingly uncomfortable headphone I've ever owned. In my time with it I committed to thought my impressions of it. Keep in mind it's not a direct comparison as I've never had both the HP50 and the HD 600 at the same time. My overall impression of the HP50 was that it was a mildly V-shaped headphone with slightly excessive midbass bloom that obscured the lower bass (though, due to the way the headband...
 The DT880 has excellent bass extension for an open dynamic of its vintage. It is noticeably better in this regard than the HD 600, against which I've compared it extensively. The DT880 certainly lacks any sort of boost in the bass, but it digs nice and deep when required. This has always been one of my favorite qualities of this headphone.  I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll take a crack at it anyway. Sibilance, as the term is used in regards to headphones, is...
 I think we're actually coming at things from the same viewpoint. My comments weren't directed at you to suggest that you were somehow dissatisfied with the DT880 and were denying it. Rather, what I'm saying is that the headphone that allows the listener to make the best connection to the music is the one they should keep, and, conversely, one should not force oneself to keep something they don't enjoy (or at least find some fault with) just because they have this...
I came to the conclusion a while ago to stop making excuses for gear that didn't please me. The ultimate goal is to enjoy the music coming out of the headphone, no matter what anybody claims is the "correct" way for it to sound. I've enjoyed my DT880 for many years, though I, too, fell into the trap of making excuses for its shortcomings. I blamed the recordings and genres when things sounded less engaging or more fatiguing than I would have liked (at least before applying...
I've never understood the complaints about soundstage size for the HD 600. No, it isn't cavernous, but I've never felt it to be stifling or tiny, either. The sound is always going to be a bit more in your face and intimate with the HD 600 because of the upper midrange lift, but even with this I don't feel like the soundstage is constricting. The sound has a strong center image, sure, but I don't perceive any clear outer boundary to the soundstage. In direct comparison to...
 I miss that aspect of it with my still quite lofty replacement set. The extension is still there, but it's quieter and more hidden by the upper registers.