or Connect

Posts by Argyris

I got the point of your post, as evidenced in my response. I thought it was pretty clear what you were saying. I've actually been reading back earlier in the post archive, to some of the stuff from the 60s, and it's amazing how lucid it was, and how all the familiar audiophile tropes were firmly in place even back then. Humans never change, it seems.
 Fascinating. I know this stuff has been going on for a long time, but it's still illuminating to read a piece that could have been written today. I like how the author brings the psychological aspect up, as this is where I think the "magic" is happening.
 About half an hour northeast of Detroit. I think I know the one you're talking about. Unless it's changed since 2012 or thereabouts when I was looking for shops to visit, it might be the one I looked up and saw had the Grado line. If you've been there or otherwise know what they have, you can fill me in.
 I think it depends on the headphone, but on Head-Fi I've noticed that gear holds its price remarkably well. That said, if there's an upswing in the number of new models released in a year, I could see that placing a downward pressure on resale value. Especially if makers start consistently using the age old trick of making very minor changes to an existing model annually or biennially, incrementing the model number, and then selling it as a fundamental improvement. Got...
 Wow, and I thought I was getting really deep into it. I've made it to level 22, but I've slowed down recently. Two solid weeks of rain almost every day, along with the interest sort of cooling off around here, has likely contributed to that. The local park used to be filled with players every evening, but lately it's been pretty deserted. Not to mention the glitches and the periods where it seems like nothing will stay in a Poke Ball (or an Ultra Ball, for that...
 Right on. Where I live, my audition choices are essentially bupkis. And this is in the US and within an hour's drive of a major city, so I should theoretically have an advantage over people who live outside this country, where distribution of audio brands can be very lacking. The only two headphones I've ever bought having been able to hear them first are the M50 and, later, the SRH440, and that's only because both are actually supposed to be studio headphones and were...
 I remember reading about that. I recall back when I was first getting into audio, well before I started with headphones, older (likely subjectivist) enthusiasts occasionally grumbled about Carver and subtly badmouthed his gear, shunting it off into a niche. I later came to understand that this was most likely because of the Carver Challenge. Decades later, their tootsies must still have been smarting from where he stamped his foot on them. But whatever they said about...
 That would have been my guess. I have one of those. I'm not the best person to make a comparison between it and the HD 600 because I'm not a huge fan of the PortaPro. I feel it's a bit overrated, though that might be largely down to it not being my preferred tonal balance. Where it falls down for me (very subdued upper midrange presence and poor treble extension), the HD 600 excels, so it's difficult for me to separate that out and judge each solely on some (likely...
 You may be right. I hope so, at least. It's been a long time since I could actually get excited about a new headphone. The midrange segment, despite numerous entrants, has pretty much been dominated by former flagships and the lower end HiFiMAN gear for a while. The latter interests me, as they've released quite a few models in this segment in the past three or four years. The main reason I've never tried them is I've read too many reports about brightness. As a long-time...
 Which Koss budget headphones are they referring to?