Posts by Argyris

The aliens prefer the 600 ohm version of the headphones they use to monitor these transmissions as they go out. 
 There was a commercial like that a few years ago. It was actually a bad commercial since, though it was memorable and amusing, I can't actually remember what it was advertising. I think it might have been Captain Morgan's rum. Anyway, these four average guys printed up a bunch of posters advertising themselves as the Four Guys and put them up all over town. Suddenly, everybody thought they were some kind of celebrity group, and they were able to get into exclusive clubs...
Well he certainly looks smug. I guess I'd be pretty smug, too, if I had my own custom-sized chair at his age.   What's with that arm in the background near the box? Is he wrapping up his little brother / sister and sending them to Abu Dhabi? Or is this a screen capture from some movie I probably should have seen but haven't?
 It's amazing how these things get up steam, isn't it? I used to believe it, because it's all I ever read anywhere, and I sometimes felt a twinge of regret that I hadn't tried to get the 600 ohm version. Then Tyll published this article on InnerFidelity and I rested easy. Funny thing is, the often copy-pasted measurements you'll see around HF suggest that there's something to this mess, with a slight reduction of energy around 4-5 kHz in the 600 ohm version. But then, when...
 I know what you mean. Checking this thread each day and seeing what everybody was getting up to was something I really enjoyed. I guess we've all sort of gone our separate ways, at least for a while. I still check every time a new post appears here, and there are a few other threads I like to look in on (e.g. the Fun Break thread) where some of the TMAC crowd sometimes post up.
A little parametric EQ in Foobar sorts things out for me. I've zeroed it in so I can use just two small notches to mine out all the extra sizzle. Or, I can just listen to 'em straight if I want to keep things simple. A little extra brightness does wonders for a large part of my classical collection. I'd much rather listen to classical with some extra treble than, say, too much midrange or bass or not enough treble extension or volume.
I think the bigger question is whether or not you enjoy what you already have. A lot of people in this hobby spend what the more cynical among us might consider inordinate amounts of both time and money chasing after minuscule (if extant) improvements in their setup, and they never seem to stop and ask themselves that question. They get too caught up in the what-if's and shiny (and expensive!) new toys. They might even convince themselves that they're hearing an...
Not sure who I dislike more in these kinds of situations--the gold diggers, or the people who are so foolish / desperate / whatever that they allow themselves to be gold-dug. Maybe Mr. $181 million up there figured he had enough to afford it, but that doesn't change the fact that he's a sucker.   Whatever. At least the existence of these people gives us something to talk about in forum threads. Apart from what we'd all buy if we had $181 million to spend. That's a lot of...
I've found that I can cut a book / series a lot of slack if it has well drawn-up characters. Conversely, I've found that I have a really difficult time slogging through something that, on a fundamental level might be a masterpiece, but which on the surface is plagued by uninteresting plot mechanics and shallowly-defined characters.   Case in point, The Lord of the Rings. Fantastic, classic series. Astonishing bit of world building, and an endless treasure trove of...