or Connect

Posts by Argyris

When is a department store like a ship?   When it sales.
 It might get deleted as being off topic or inflammatory (disparaging Head-Fi or some such), but I guess we won't know unless somebody tries it. I had an idea along the same lines, of creating a beginner's guide thread in here which we could link to (and maybe put in our signatures) whenever a newcomer starts asking for advice. Such a hypothetical thread would cover all the most commonly held notions in the audio world and (gently) explain that there's little to no...
Yeah, the bass isn't a standout feature of the HD 600's presentation. It's also going to be completely different from a DT770's bass, which has the sort of visceral sub bass presence the HD 600 completely lacks. The HD 600's low end is more midbass-focused and integrates with the rest of the signature rather than standing out.   I would venture to say that if you find the HD 598's bass lacking, you'll feel similarly about the HD 600
 Now there's some impressions I'm interested in reading. 
I remember when I started in earnest with personal audio back in 2010, the descriptions of large soundstage intrigued me. I was truly excited about the prospect of a headphone doing something radically different from the "headphone" presentation I was used to. I remember when my DT880 first arrived I was disappointed that, while the sonic illusion certainly seemed "larger" (something that's really difficult to put into words), it didn't really get too far outside my head....
All subjective opinions are equal but some subjective opinions are more equal than others.
 The way I've always used it is to indicate a headphone with excellent treble extension, and most likely elevated upper treble (> 10 kHz) response. This is well above the range of sibilance and has the effect of emphasizing the space around musical elements (hence "air") and extending the soundstage illusion outward at its extremes, rather than significantly affecting the tonal balance directly. It also helps if the headphone is otherwise neutral or treble-tilted, since...
I honestly prefer vegetal. Not sure why. Maybe it just sounds more exotic.
 Because there aren't very many words in the English language to describe sound. Language evolves over time and adapts to the situation, otherwise whenever new concepts came about we would have no way to describe them. I don't see anything wrong with using sight words in this case, as long as the usage is consistent and actually refers to something real, instead of just being a vague term thrown around to establish a je ne sais quoi for an expensive product.I've often...
I've always interpreted PRaT to be a signature thing, whereby certain sound signatures (most likely V-shaped ones) artificially emphasize the rhythmic component of the music. Used in this manner I don't see anything wrong with the term. However, if we started using the term for two headphones with very similar signatures, or if we stopped defining it specifically and just used it as a synonym for "the headphone I paid more for sounds better", then it just becomes another...