or Connect

Posts by vwinter

I like them. Always fun is slice of life with a a twist. Like slice of life, if that life involves witches, or robots, of living on an asteroid. TYG made some good points.Going to recommend the Final Audio Design Heaven V or the Aurisonics Rockets, if you can find a pair. Rockets are more detailed with less bass and glorious mids and fantastic imaging. Heaven V are bassier with great midrange energy and very natural soundstage having a very strong depth representation.Both...
Congrats! I think the community is in good hands!
The glory days of fansubs. I kind of miss them. There was a certain sense of pride involved. Sometimes deserved, sometimes not. And there was also variety. I still remember all the arguments about the GG translation style. Now it's commercialized, and pretty much monopolized, soon there will be no incentive to improve and there's certainly no incentive to "do more". I think another part of it is that the fan subbing "generation" never really passed much on and the new...
Shivers (1975) 8.3/10 Just yes. This was a lot of fun through and through. Interesting pacing, cuts, camerawork and framing. Very satisfying ending. Definitely scratched an itch. Estimated budget was 179k CAD, which, if my math is right, puts it at like 640K in today's USD. Not exactly a peanuts budgets for what you see. But the direction made it feel bigger and cleaner than it actually was. I actually expected more from some of the scenes haha, like the bathtub scene....
This is what excites me.My guess was based on this The Fog:Haven't seen it but indications are less than positive.Edit: although there is anecdotal evidence to the contrary
 I would guess that The Mist is the mildly entertaining one. Unless you mean The Fog (1980), in which case, no idea (should actually watch this one).Those two look awesome. at least one is on netflix, so that's easy to add to the ol' list.  I love movies set in manmade environments underwater. The setup is both believable and tense, inherently.  It makes sense. Have my more objective rating which i then mark up/down on personal drivers. A one (or even more) point swing...
It's the film noir that makes you reconsider your expectations of film noir. I've seen The Maltese Falcon and The Third Man. Enjoyed both immensely. I need to track some of these down!I did watch on or your other recent recommendations in a two day binge I sorely needed.Nightcrawler7.8/10I mentioned multiple times that I was probably not going to watch this, but decided to give it a shot. The mood just struck for something unique and it felt like the time for it. Well...
I couldn't believe how much I ended up liking Double Indemnity. If anyone has any recommendations along that line, would be appreciated.
Now taking a hard look at the upcoming Nikon DL24-85...