Posts by kramer5150

(Stupid suggestion warning)  Make sure your L/R balance control on your computer is set even-steven.  Stupid as it sounds, I have made this mistake before 8^)   If you have a DVD player and CD in the house, plug its coax-digital output into the DAC, do the same with the TOSLINK output on the back of the DVD player.   If you have a whole nother' amp ,or stereo receiver you could try and plug the SMSL RCA line outs into that.  If they work then theres definitely...
White and red RCA connectors usually means its a stereo cable.   I split my source  line out to two amps with a couple of these:  You need two, one for each channel.     You want to avoid splitters like these... they are too flimsy and not very durable.    
x2... with L-cush pads it scales up very nicely for the $$.
Of the cans in my collection... Senn HD558 foam modded.  Punches well above its price point new or used. SennGrado with G-cush pads.  If you use the OEM Grado OFC cables and don't go the woody route you'll have an outstanding ~$125 headphone.  Even if you go the woody route, you've still got an EXCELLENT looking and sounding phone for around $200.   Headphones that I have liked, but fell short of making this list are the K701/2, HD580 due to their amplification needs.
I couldn't find anything specifically discussing the 80e or 60e models.  Plenty of info out there on the 'i' and original.  But theres nothing out there in regards to the "e" model specifically.  Maybe scattered comments buried and mixed in with the i its predecessor.   I hope they didn't change it to an un-modable kind of glue.  As near as I can tell the i models use two glue types.  Hot melt to adhere the outer cup to the driver ring and some kind of PVC adhesive to...
It comes apart easily, there's only a single plastic slide piece inside.  I kind of like the looks of it though.  Looks easy enough to just bend the piece back straight.  Good Luck!!  
One of the reviewers comments...   "Other design detail is an aluminum tab on each side of the headband which I found to have no functionality other than a cool look."   In the DT880 review thread: http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-dt-880-premium-headphones
JDS labs has an excellent and AFIAK the most concise/comprehensive explanation.  IF you read through the entire article its also a really good explanation from a product developer perspective as to what SUCKS (putting it politely) about Apple, and their method of controlling the USB accessory market.  I have to admit, at first I LOVED my iphone lightning connector... durable, reliable, rugged, non-polarity orientation...etc.  Physically it has a lot going for...
For me its the mastering, re-mastering and quality level of the recording.  There are times I don't want to be force-fed every nuance and micro detail... because frankly it sounds bad.  For those times I use my SR60e, SennGrado, HF1 or HD558.  These are all great www radio cans.   In the case of the 60e, SG and HD558, its nice that I can take them on a plane or trip and not worry about them getting damaged or lost.   I wouldn't say I have fallen love with them.  But...
Looking at these cans a second time, there's no swivel for the earcups.  Being an on-ear design that means the ergonomics can't accommodate for differing ear angles from person to person.   A year ago this wasn't apparent to me.  But now owning a modded SR60e with a similar (Vivitar) headband design its more obvious.  For my 60e mod, I had to bend the headband metal hanger part to get the earpads to angle properly and result in a comfortable/good fit.  For a $75 DIY mod...