Posts by kramer5150

Really enjoying my foam+poster tack modded hd558. Buttery smooth signature.... Not harsh but detail revealing, warm and pleasant yet not bass bloated at all, just aggressive enough to be interesting. Treble is smooth and easy on the ears, with just enough presence to sound "right". See the gear in my profile.... The hd558 is right at home in my rig
I bought them already foam-modded...  I never listened to them stock.  I added the poster-tak putty.  I did a similar putty mod to the SennGrado with likewise excellent results. I would call them smooth.  Slightly on the warmer side of neutrality.  Its actually a lot like my HD650, maybe a tad less bass bloat.  But the mids are so well rounded and smooth.  The HD558 is a very polite headphone, easy to listen to.  Its not aggressive, shouty, grainy in any way.... with the...
I have bought stuff from their business partners before... no problems.  A couple items shipped really slow, but I was expecting that.  Now is not a good time though the entire country is on Chinese new year holiday.
My two least sibilant headphones are a SennGrado build I did and my HD558.  The HD558 is also modded though.  The previous owner de-foamed it and I added a little blu-tac, doughnut ring around the driver magnets to help dampen and tame resonances.  I did a similar blu-tac treatment to the senngrado.  These are really smooth / warm sounding headphones.  Smoother, warmer than my HD650 by a slight but noticeable amount.  I wouldn't call them rolled off treble though.  Treble...
I have two external USB drives that are an exact copy of my CD library.  One drive is .5T for compressed low-res MP3 and the second is a 1.5T for .m4a lossless files that I create in iTunes.  The other thing I do is use an MP3 ripper, and capture 320k rate audio from a bunch of my live concert DVDs... I only do that for those concerts that do not have an audio CD available.  Those rips are stored on the 1.5T high-res drive. The lo-res mp3 drive is only used for my iPhone,...
You're not going to want to hear this but IMHO the Bose AE2 is a decently good sounding closed headphone.  I use them all the time when I need portable isolation, while my better cans sit idle.
Wow thats too cool for words!!
For me I think its the sense of enclosed air space around my ears that makes closed cans sound closed.  I think its the pressure as much as it is the sound... which just "feels" different open versus completely closed.  Like sitting in a small closet with all the lights off, as opposed to sitting in a pitch black bedroom... you can just feel the closed space around you.   the caveat here is I have only owned closed cans below $200.
Maybe he/she has a computer lab at school?   $400 computer versus $400 CD deck.... that would be a tough decision for me.
The DT770 has always had a strongly pronounced U curve.  a lot of the midrange areas are severely recessed (3-6khz).  It makes a lot of instrumentation sound thin and lacking body/resonance IMHO.  I sold them within a month or so after getting an MS2, HD580, and HD600.   Compare the FR graphs below... http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT770.pdf   http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf