Posts by kramer5150

Its going to be hard to beat the HD280 as a guitar monitor in terms of neutral-flatness. Its one of the most flat measuring (and sounding IMHO) dynamic cans I've owned, with a little bit of deep bass emphasis below ~65 Hz.  So if thats what you are after, I think you should just get another 280.   Others for you to consider in that price range are the MDRV6 and K240s.  Both are more colored than the HD280 though, and between the three the V6 I would say is the...
 Curious... Are you finding optimal HD650 tubes to be less than optimal with your RS1i ?  One of the problems I have always had with my Millet, it was voiced by its builder for the HD580, and it sounds very shouty and edgy in the upper mids with my RS1 and K701.  I have used other members HD650 voiced  amps with my brighter cans and had similar results with all of them.  Not entirely true.  You can look through the perf mesh earcup and see the reflective/metallic mesh of...
I'll probably upgrade my DAC next.  headphone/amp wise I am totally happy with my setups.
Pretty well stated above.  DAC converts the digital bit stream to analog AC.  Amplifier boosts or attenuates AC amplitude.   Which one to get depends on what you are starting out with, and which aspect of your setup is less capable at its respective task.  IE:  what headphones you have, what you are currently using to convert the bit stream to analog AC.  Macs for example have surprisingly  good/clean/robust headphone outputs for headphones less than ~50 ohms.
one of the all time coolest HF threads... I never knew the Koss TD-80 has 55mm drivers.  Bigger doesn't always translate to better though.  I see those things all the time on ebay... usually very cheap.
One of the most counterfeited headphones of all time... Google "e888lp counterfeit". When yours arrive inspect packaging very closely. If packaging looks authentic i would next google that seller to see if they have any www history selling counterfeit sony cans. Weigh all the data and then make a decision on what to do next. Sorry i dont have any first hand exerience with that seller
Welcome!!  I too am returning back from a leave of absence!!
Awesome... I just got its sibling, an SR60i, my first headphone purchase in over 7 years.  The 60i I think is a really nice level-up in refinement over the predecessor.  Bass and upper mids are a little less "peakey, pointy and spikey".  Overall its more of a relaxed and a smoothed over kind of sound (60i versus 60).  Not night and day mind you, but just a touch of this and a little of that.  Being that they share the same drivers I would imagine the 80i has undergone the...
Who knows... Its anyones guess as to how the earcup geometery is tuned and the quality of the drivers used. On a personal level i avoid pre-order sales. Id rather spend my $$$ on a proven design but thats just me.
Ive read scattered comments before about k1000 users doing this. Ive never tried it myself but i dont see why it wouldnt work with any open cans.