Posts by UnWeave

Correct on all counts!  5Gs were slightly thicker, and obviously look quite different; the older Classic 160GB is chubby, yes; if yours is 120GB it's 2G; if your dad's is 80GB it's 1G.    The gap between 80GB/160GB and 120GB only might have been quite small, especially given the 160GB was known to be buggy; perhaps that's why they're both just called 6G on here?  I know I got my 120 not that long after the first Classics came out, but I can't remember exactly how long...
  It's kind of a muddle, because people talk about 6G and 7G Classics, despite there being 3 revisions (1G, 2G, 3G, as in my earlier post).   As an attempt to answer your question, this is how the RB team do it: all iPod Classics are 6Gs, often referred to only as the "iPod Classic", since the "Classic" name is distinct from the earlier 1G-5.5G models.  There's then a further subdivide into 1G, 2G and 3G.   I believe the 7G term has never been used officially by Apple...

The Rockbox team refer to the latest model as the Classic 3G.  For anyone else who's wondering, it goes as:   Classic 1G (80GB slim, 160GB fat) Classic 2G (slim, 120GB only) Classic 3G (same size as 2G, 160GB only)   They're all pretty much the same, though, and the port is at the same stage on all models with the exception of the chubby 1G 160GB.
Ohhhh, this is awesome news.  My 120 has been semi-retired since it started randomly skipping to the next track if I didn't set the backlight to always on, and so now the battery life sucks.  Looks like I don't need to keep waiting for a 100GB+ flash-based alternative to hit the market after all :D.
YGPM.
  The size (as in capacity) of an individual NAND-flash chip has to be a power of two, but SSDs use more than one chip per drive, so you may end up with a capacity not a power of two. 80GB, for example, might be 10*8GB. Adding 5 more chips would give you the 120GB version. I would point out, though, that most (or all? I can't say for sure off the top of my head) manufacturers simply double the number of chips when offering a higher capacity. Based on that, if those two...
You're probably better of doing a search in the portable amps forum, and asking there if you still don't know.  To keep it cheap, I'd recommend a CMoy amp.  You can make your own (requires soldering etc.), or you can buy them on eBay for around $35 + shipping.
I'm afraid you're probably SOL. Mine does that (skips to the next track for no reason). I first tried re-encoding tracks, then a restore. Also tried using a different format (FAT32 instead of HFS, since I have both Macs and Windows computers available). Nothing.   So, gave it a Google and guess what I found on the Apple Support Forums? A 200-post thread of users with the same problem.   Anyway, to save you reading through the thread, there is some hope: if you...
Well I checked the IE7 page back when the first person (on this thread) said that they hadn't got any accessories with their 8, and it definitely listed everything. I don't remember seeing 'basic range' anywhere; it certainly wasn't in the item's title. Looks like play.com slipped up pretty bad. At least they've been accepting returns.