Posts by Rizlaw

My W4S DAC-2 outputs 2.6 volts single ended and is more than sufficient to drive the Taboo III which needs 2.1 volts input for maximum output. Notwithstanding that Steve D. designed the CSP3 to provide a factory 4 volt output for his amps (see quote below), I'm not sure why you are concerned the Taboo III needs 3 or 4 volts to sound good. It doesn't. So, your DAC, which has similar output to mine, should work fine and sound good. If you didn't know about the synergistic...
I use the following cables on my Decware CSP3, Taboo 3 and W4S DAC-2. Much to my surprise I found a significantly audible difference (read improvement across the audio spectrum) in my sound with these cables. They are unshielded silver ICs, so if your system has EMI issues you may experience some hum. They only come in 0.5 and 1 meter lengths. They are, IMO, fairly priced. Starting at $149/pr for .5m and $199/pr for 1m. Very highly recommended. You also get a 30 day trial....
DSG, I sent an email off to Jack this A.M. about the current production WA2 sockets and he just responded:  Since my purchase back in 2011 when Teflon sockets were an option, he now includes Teflon sockets as standard and increased the price to reflect the upgrade in parts. I'm surprised he hasn't updated his web page for the WA2 to reflect that fact.
Dubstep Girl, I haven't seen a current production WA2 lately, so I'm just guessing here, but it could be that there are "grades" of teflon sockets and Jack decided to use a good "stock" teflon socket and not charge for a pricey "upgrade" TOL teflon tube socket. Sort of like the stock tubes he ships with the WA2. On the other hand, as I said before, if he is using Teflon sockets, I would think that he would note it in the written specs as an additonal feature. Perhaps a new...
Dubstep Girl, Teflon sockets were a $150.00 option when I purchased my WA2 back in late 2010. Back then the base price of the WA2 was $1050, now it's $1190.00, so it's possible, but not likely that teflon sockets are standard. Jack's specs, on the current WA2, apart from mentioning teflon/silver plate wiring as standard, don't mention Teflon sockets as standard equipment.
When I looked at Jack's website yesterday, I no longer saw the stepped attenuator as an option, nor the Black Gate Caps or Teflon tube sockets. I imagine that the DACT stepped attenuator and teflon sockets can still be special ordered, but not the Black Gate's (I believe they have been out of business for quite some time). My WA2 has all 3 options plus upgraded tubes and I have no trouble adjusting the volume level where I need it to be for any headphone I own.
When I ordered my fully loaded WA2 from Jack Woo, I thought the DACT stepped attenuator had 2db steps. However, when I called to confirm that with Jack some time ago, he said "No" the attenuator has 1db steps (a total of 23 click stops on mine). I've never really had a problem with adjusting the sound to the most pleasing level. Good stepped attenuators are supposed to be more accurate and transparent, but I imagine an ALPS blue attenuator is probably nearly as good. You...
I own the WA2  and a Decware CSP3. I have used the WA2 as a preamp (good but not great results) and currently use it as a headphone amp. Your post states that you are looking for a preamp, that is "powerful . . . with great dynamics", therefore, I suggest you look at the Decware CSP3. http://www.decware.com/newsite/CSP3.html  IMO,it has what you're looking for and much more. Steve Deckert also provides a 30 day trial and lifetime guarantee.
Thanks Ronalde,   When I made that post back in 2011, the new JRiver downloader didn't exist. However, I am well aware of new JRiver downloader and have tried it in Crossover. It works, but, IMO, it's still a kludge. I will refrain from any ranting on the subject, but, it really shouldn't be that difficult or expensive to write a native Linux downloader (assuming they can't write one that is truly cross-platform). While HDTracks has no DRM, I imagine a lot of this has to...
Jazzgas,         Yes, you have it right. But, I sensed that if I pushed and begged a little more he might have relented. So, by all means, you can ask him for the "mix" and see if he changes his mind. He's not an unreasonable fellow and really wants, and goes out of way, to please all of his customers. BTW, IMO, the Jupiter caps are an absolute must have addition to the CSP3.