Posts by jasonb

Got 8 banana plugs at Home Depot for $21. Not a great bargain, but I didn't want to wait for shipping from Amazon or Monoprice. I checked my local Radio Shack first and they had nothing of quality that wasn't overly expensive. Got home and hooked the speakers up to banana plugs and the headphones as well. It works very well and only takes maybe 20 seconds to switch between headphones and the speakers.    I didn't notice it last night, but did notice it...
I googled an image of that earlier when I was figuring it all out.  I've had it hooked up and have been listening for almost 2 hours now. It sounds pretty magical. I did not expect this to work this well.  It gets loud at the 8 o'clock position on the volume knob so there is barely any throw on the knob, but the knob has fine enough control to dial in the volume I desire so it works just fine. The other option at my disposal is to set a negative preamp level in the...
I just got brave and hooked my AKG Q701 directly to the speaker taps of my Mini-X. I cut the 3.5mm end off of the 9 meter cable that I never use and decided to hook it up. I used a multi-meter to figure out which color wire was ground, left, and right and quickly wired it up. It gets loud at the 8 o'clock position on the volume knob so there is barely any throw on the knob, but the knob has fine enough control to dial in the volume I desire so it works just fine. The other...
Hell yea! It's a great album. I own it.
Working. My Q701 is hooked to the speaker taps of my Emotiva Mini-X. 50 watts x 2 at 8 ohms of power into these puppies.    Volume at about 7 - 8 o'clock on the dial is it. Tomorrow mornings task it to get some banana plugs to make switching between headphones and the speakers quicker and easier.    I had no qualms about cutting up the supplied 20ft cable, so I figured I might as well try it. 
I have my multi meter out and ready. What do I do to find out? If I did it right,  white = ground red = right yellow = left
Does anybody know which color wires are what on the stock Q701 cable? I want to try to hook my Q701 straight up to some speaker taps. The colors are red, yellow, and white. Does anybody know which is ground, left, and right?
I will still listen more before I write my final review, but I just listened to these tonight for about 2-2.5 hours and enjoyed them. Using my Galaxy S4 with the Neutron music player app and 2 simple bands of EQ I was able to make them quite enjoyable for a good variety of different music. I took out 4dB centered at 80hz with a 2 octave width, and I made a 3dB boost centered at 2k with a 1.5 octave width. Before these adjustments and after just over 200 hours of burn in I...
Mine should have roughly 144 hours on them as of about 9pm tonight.
That's a pretty neat piece of gear. I like the 2 band PEQ. Yamaha has always made good stuff.