Posts by scannon18

Now, is it the headphone amp or the dac that is responsible for the "reduced soundstage" i've read so much about?   Not that reduced soundstage is scaring me away from this thing, it's probably an overblown claim.  it seems to me it would be an amp thing but I know so little about all of this
yes, it was nwavguys measurements I was referring too.  I'm baffled.  But rockbox is really cool, I would like to get an iPod classic with its huge harddrive and rockbox that.  Going through a portable amp that would be excellent. . . 
Yes I was looking at this.  However, it is about $100 more and while the headphone amp of the nfb12 isn't necessary perhaps for my headphones, I might grab new headphones that will need it.  Apparently the amp is very versatile.       Yes, apparently it synergizes well with Denons.  But I will probably upgrade the amp to the objective desktop amp, once it is released.  Thanks for the comment, I will probably use this dac/amp  and spend the difference on new headphones....
Again, nothing explicitly makes me think the components are poorly implemented.  Just consider me the devil's advocate on this issue. I've read this entire thread, and I wasn't only paying attention to the negative comments.     I'm sure Kingwa is well qualified, this isn't meant to be an attack on anyone's competence.  It really comes down to the fact that I have never heard this device and have no chance to hear this device until I put down $240 and I am reasonably...
Well, it essentially comes down to the dacs in any case.  I am a firm believer in the denon drivers, the more you give them the more they give you.   The only other dac/amp I'm really thinking about is the Yulong D100.  It's twice as expensive so I'm debating if it's worth the extra time and resources to acquire.  Apparently different sound signature than the nfb 12, supposedly extremely revealing, clinical, sort of what I was looking for
  This is the one necessary thing for me.  For my headphones, I don't think the amp will need to be much of an upgrade, the E9 is already a very powerful amp.  However it will be good that the output impedance of the nfb12 is much much lower than the e9.    But most of the upgrade needs to come from the dac.  At this point, the dac is the only way to extract more fidelity from my D2000s.
You misunderstand me; I was soliciting opinions, not "throwing" them around.   Sometimes manufacturers poorly implement high quality components and parts into their products and it completely undermines that quality of the parts they are using.  For a product that is supposedly being sold for cheaper than it could be, this is a reasonable qualm to have before spending so much money and it would be nice to stir up discussion of this issue so that I can get opinions from...
Well, I've installed rockbox (VERY impressed, to say the least) but I can't shake that "fuzzy" sound signature.     And to clarify, I am referring to the Clip+.     Anyway, that's my whole problem.  Measurements aside, I just don't think it sounds as, I don't know, "clean?" as my ipod touch 3rd gen, which is a much better player than the nano 4g, based off of subjective listening experiences.     If i had to guess I would says it's the dac, but I'm really no...
Actually, there is one artist I listen to who has a very well produced downtempo-glitch-hop album that I believe has a lot of dynamic range.  The artist is Tipper, who is an english guy that has released albums in surround sound and actively works with companies such as Dolby is making test tracks to show off surround sound capabilities.  The album is Broken Soul Jamboree.  It is, I think, one of the best albums of any genre, and mastered pretty well for this genre.
Thank you for throwing in a few words about your experience.  I have only one qualm about the nfb-12, and that is that it will be too "warm" and not "detailed" enough.   So while I guess I have nothing against a warm sound signature, in my experience warmth has always been added at the cost of detail.     Do you feel the nfb12 is detailed, or do you think that the warmth impedes any detail?