Posts by ardgedee

Saw a couple cat cafes (and a puppy cafe) in Seoul when I was there a couple years ago. There are probably more now.  
We are never ever getting girl/boygether by Aphex Swift. (no embedded video, it's on SoundCloud) As I write, there are half a dozen tracks already, and it looks like more are being added somewhat steadily. No idea if he's aiming to mix the entirety of 1989 with RDJ Album or if he's going to stop once he's bored.   Here's a snippet of T4ouble:
Obviously the best music news of the year! Only five-ish days left to pledge for a copy.
 I hope you can get the help you need and turn your life around for the better. Wait until some more peaceful time to contemplate the transformative powers of stress.
 Coincidentally I've been listening to the chapters on the Stoics in the History of Philosophy podcast, and personal liberation (in a manner of speaking) is a dominant theme in their work. Epictetus in particular believed that unless you can accept death as inevitable and impending -- literally, unless you are willing to tell your child, "You will die today," you do not have sufficient self-discipline to be free, or to deserve dignity. They were pretty hard core. "Stoic"...
 Dang. Missed it. I assume the multimedia production will show up in the usual places eventually, though. And now for something ridiculous that evolves into some kind of Gavin Bryars-esque sublimity: 
 It is quieter but I can make out the information I needed. Listening to music or having a conversation is considerably more distracting. I do it because I'm sensitive to loud sounds. This makes road and traffic noise more comfortable for me. If I felt the earplugs endangered me when I drove, I'd rather have the discomfort of noise. Setting that aside, a friend of mine has a spotless driving record and has been profoundly deaf since infancy.
 My daily commute involves 15-30 minutes in the car each way. I don't like listening to the news or music while driving -- why get even more pumped up than dealing with traffic can get me? -- so I'll usually drive with earplugs in instead to keep the road noise down. This summer I've taken to listening to The History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps podcast. 20-ish minutes per episode, and does what it says, covering the history of (western) philosophy from its earliest...
 I've been listening to Ben Neill's stuff. Kind of a slick late-90s version of chill/ambient. Neill has credentials in the art music scene, too, being instrumental (no pun intended) in the production of some of LaMonte Young's work, too. So there's more going on than it seems, sometimes.   For me, SAW and Classics are hard to listen through. I Care Because You Do and Richard D. James Album are in some ways even harder listening, but for my money it sounds like James is...
Different tools can facilitate different goals. One of the strengths of the dSLR is supposed to be finely-grained control over the broadest range of parameters. At the expense of being able to master those controls in any situation, of course. Which is where automation comes in.   Modern digital PnS cameras are really just as good in many ways; their primary weakness is smaller, non-interchangeable lenses. (The sensor is also smaller, and there are other factors; but...