Posts by ardgedee

Different tools can facilitate different goals. One of the strengths of the dSLR is supposed to be finely-grained control over the broadest range of parameters. At the expense of being able to master those controls in any situation, of course. Which is where automation comes in.   Modern digital PnS cameras are really just as good in many ways; their primary weakness is smaller, non-interchangeable lenses. (The sensor is also smaller, and there are other factors; but...
I'm not particularly wise about photography and have fallen way behind anything going on in that scene but... sure.   Have to go hide in a world of technical documentation for an indefinite time, but let me leave you all with this:
Hi all.   For a while I've been considering getting a new point and shoot camera because while the Canon SD960 IS still meets my needs pretty well, I was starting to see what more I can get in terms of image quality. But then my iPhone 6 arrived and for the first time I'm not sure I need a POS camera any more. It has sufficiently credible low-light and near-subject focusing (not quite macro) that I'm running out of excuses for keeping a single-purpose camera. It's not...
  Mesmerizing.
Oh man, that's very sad. He was active in this thread only a couple days ago too, feisty to the end.   Please send his family our best wishes.
  I think DF has it. This is as much or more a talent acquisition (Iovine) as it is a property acquisition (Beats). Iovine is not just the head man of Beats. Before that he was the founder of Interscope records, which means he's one handshake away from a considerable range of talents and industry people, and was the boss over many of them. Apple now has on their side one of the most scary powerful guys in the entertainment industry since Steve Jobs (Pixar and freakin'...
XLR was designed specifically for audio purposes and aside from the bulk (relative to straight wire) its effect on sound should be minimal. The mini-XLR connectors DHC uses for the extensions should be reasonably lightweight and good quality.   Keep in mind that DHC is showing a set based on mini-XLR. Verify whether your home system is using mini-XLR or standard size. If so you'll need a mini-XLR to XLR adaptor. I'm only familiar with home systems that use full-sized...
 My NT-6Pro can use both shrouded and unshrouded plugs. In general, since the socket on it sticks up a little from the surface, it can accept any kind of JH/UE/Westone-style two-pin plug -- with the exception of TF10-compatible plugs, for which the pins and wiring are slightly different. It's OK if the plug isn't shrouded, it just means the pins might be a little exposed. Technically defined, My NT-6Pro uses the 0.78mm pin style, wired - front, + back. It's a de-facto...
 It's interesting going back to Hüsker Dü's albums: They're some of the most overly-compressed professional recordings you'll ever hear, and predate the Loudness Wars by over a decade. It works for their purposes, which is to replicate the wall of noise that they would produce in concert (give a listen to Land Speed Record for a sense of it; I still can't tell what some of the songs are). The sound of their albums set them apart from most of their peers in the 80s -- they...