or Connect

Posts by dxanex

I'm looking for a used Hifiman Edition X (HEX) in good condition to buy or trade for my HD 800 + some cash.   PM me for details/pics. Must have feedback.
But but the mahogany is so pretty...why would you??
I have all 3 (demoing the HEX currently) and I agree with all of this. The HEX simply outclasses the TH-X00 in almost everything (as it should considering price) and it can be driven well with a cheap portable amp to boot. But I can't use the HEX at work like I can the TH-X00. Both are very "fun" and engaging headphones with an enveloping quality to them. I would actually pick the HEX over HD 800 as well, if not for the price and iffy build quality. IMO the HEX is...
Thanks for your input. From what I'm gathering, the HD 800S is more musical than the classic HD 800 but the HEX is more musical than both. I'm really enjoying my time with the HEX demo pair I have right now and I may even prefer it to the HD 800. I definitely prefer the HEX liveliness to the laid back nature of the HE-1000. If only it were built as solid as the HD 800. I've always been hesitant on Hifiman's build/QC issues. Anyway, don't want to stray too OT.
Just curious if anyone has yet done any direct comparisons between the HD 800S and the Hifiman HEX? An hour of searching has turned up little to nothing. 
Has anyone tried the leather/lamb skin ZMF pads on the TH-X00? Just curious because they seem pretty similar, but a little bit smaller than those massive alpha pads. 
I think its just a matter of getting used to the Fostex house sound. I like these quite a lot in stock form now. Yesterday I listened to some older (late 90's/early 2000's for the EDM kids) Chemical Brothers and Crystal Method albums and I forgot just how deep and nicely textured the bass was on a lot of that stuff.   Trip Like I Do is like having a 5 minute ear massage    
For sale is a good condition used AKG K553 with brown HM5 memory foam pads. They have a few hundred hours on them and come with box and accessories. The stock pads are NOT included, but trust me the HM5 pads are a huge improvement over stock pads. So much so that I gave the stock pads away because I'd never use them with these again. The HM5 vastly improved comfort and improvement in bass texture as well. Very open and holographic sound for a closed can. Few very minor...
They are very far apart in terms of signature and performance but I find them to be wonderful compliments to each other. When I want complete neutrality, world class detail retrieval and massive soundstage, I listen to the HD 800. When I want fun and musicality (and that bass) it's the TH-X00. Oddly though I've found both are not nearly as forgiving with bad recordings than the LCD-2. I still prefer the LCD-2 for all my Jazz albums. TH-X00 is awesome with rock and electronic.
If they are smart they will definitely do more runs. This co-worker seemed a little annoyed when I explained the whole limited massdrop thing. He didn't understand why he couldn't just go online and order a pair. Considering the mostly positive response of owners, including a glowing review from The Verge, these could be a huge seller for Fostex.