Posts by dxanex

Haha, yes but actually I think they sound really good coming straight out of my iPad to be honest. But the Darkvoice and MSII+ definitely help tame them.
Funny, all these complaints about the K550 but I haven't experienced any of them myself. Except the finicky fit which can easily be resolved with a little patience and experimentation. These are extremely rewarding headphones if you give them time. They don't sound shrill to me at all, but then maybe my amp is a nice fit for them (tubes may roll off the shrilly highs just enough). If you subscribe to the "burn-in" school of thought, let them cook for 25-30 hours.   I...
  (2012) 5/10   Pretty meh, as far as action movies go. Stallone can't really carry a movie on his own like he used to. Cardboard characters...didn't really know what this movie wanted to be...wasn't really a revenge movie, wasn't quite a buddy cop movie either. Pretty boring except the last fight between Stallone and the dude that played Drogo in Game of Thrones (my sun and stars).
I recall some posts WAAAAAY back, where someone tried J$, Lawton, and even some older style Beyer DT 880 pads (apparently they fit after messing with them for an hour) and in the end they still preferred the HiFiMan velours the most.
  "If you've ever played a system loud enough to get slightly noxious -- not because your ears clipped but because the pressure build-up in the room made you feel like swimming through molasses -- you're already keyed in to what the resonators address."   Man, I've read some seriously ridiculous sh** on head-fi and other audio sites through the years, but this "review" may very well take the cake.
I just read that article. I find it hard to believe that every one of those flares were done live during filming, and not in post. That's insanity. You can get the same effect in about 5 minutes with a little After Effects plug-ins.   I also can't help but think Abrams had to have taken some inspiration from the Mass Effect series of video games...there are a lot of those same "sci-fi-esq" lens flares in those games, and if I'm not mistaken the first game came out way...
Star Trek Into Darkness wasn't nearly as lens flare crazy as Star Trek 2009.... Abrams turned it down a notch. Still, if I don't see at least one lens flare come off a light saber I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be disappointed.
I would also be interested to see how they fit, but they are huge...pillow-like...I suspect they would push the K550 drivers even further away from the ear making it sound thinner.Those pads heat up real quick too...one of the reasons I ultimately sold my XB 700.
I didnt do anything special to my K550, I just placed Velcro and foam on the headband to tighten the clamp and coiled thin rope under the pads to push them out for better seal. Good seal is crucial for great sound out of the k550, unfortunately that's harder with a smaller head. I think the K550 is pretty underrated, especially for it's cost...i even prefer it over the K702 mostly. But this is the HE-400 thread and I digress... Back on topic