Posts by olor1n

Boring? Nah... You must've had a gremlin in your system that didn't play nice with the M51. Or a dud unit.. or NAD really did **** up the SQ with firmware revisions beyond 1.39. I just can't fathom how anyone could describe the M51 as boring. I got a good laugh from your absurd post. Thanks for that.
Gungnir>Mjolnir>Q cable>HD800 = Energetic. Fun on initial listen but ultimately fatiguing. Shouty presentation and brittle upper registers evident with certain material. Couldn't live with it. NAD M51>Mjolnir>Q cable>HD800 = Smooth, without sacrificing treble extension and resolution. Less "shouty" i.e. more dynamic range - can listen to it for hours without a hint of fatigue. Solved ALL the issues I had with the Schiit stack without any compromise. All aspects of SQ...
I must be the only person in all of HeadFidom more than content with the Mjolnir/HD800 pairing. The Mjolnir is so synonymous with the Gungnir that the two components may as well be one. It's noteworthy to me, and not a surprise given my own experience with the chain, that most people who categorically dismiss the Mjolnir as a suitable amp for the HD800 have it tethered to the Gungnir or similar sounding dac. Whilst the Mjolnir may not be the most technically capable amp...
Dibs. Will PM you tomorrow mate.
Man, I love that album. The girl is stunning.  
My intent isn't to discourage folks from the HD800, but if this is where you're starting out and you don't already own adequate components - be advised that the HD800 itself, is not the end game. It will just be the beginning.   Garbage in, garbage out - as the old adage goes. This couldn't be more true of the HD800.
I think some folks mistake the HD800 for an entry level headphone that can be plugged into any chain with impunity. If you're squeezing every penny just to fit the HD800 into your budget, be prepared to accept the possibility that you'll scratch your head at all the accolades. You don't need to spend megabucks to make the HD800 sing, but there are many here who have gone through many combinations of gear to get to that point. Some skip the hassle and aim for the very top,...
Lol. My intent wasn't to open that balanced vs se can of worms. Sure, there are horrid solid state executions, as there are tube amps free of those colorations people attach to them. It's worth pointing out though that there are options for the HD650 beyond the Woos and Cracks and their purty glowing glass.
Talk of amps tend to gravitate towards tubes in this thread, but for those after that final bit of refinement for the HD650 via a solid state component should consider the Mjolnir. While I don't subscribe to the notion that the HD650 can only be appreciated through more expensive gear, there is something to be said about running it balanced from a solid state amp. That distinctive mid bass centric signature becomes less woolly. It slams much harder, yet is better defined....
@V-DiV - I implore you to give the latest version of Audirvana+ (2.0.9) a trial. I haven't used Fidelia for a while but I did prefer the older versions of Audirvana to it. This latest iteration though is something else. The staging is greatly improved and there is added weight to the low end. The upper registers are smoother, without sacrificing resolution. It seems more resolving as previously subtle cues now shimmer with detail. The smoothness and lack of fatigue temps...