Posts by bmichael

Jay-Z is amazing. From a musical career perspective, from a public figure perspective, from an influence perspective. I mean, let's be honest, I don't see Tupac or Eminem in any photos with Warren Buffet. He's a better-than-average rapper, a great story teller, and prolific as heck. Like it or not, he's defined success for a generation of rappers, musicians, and artists. And that clearly puts him in my own subjective GOAT discussion.
I have an odd question, but pertinent. How do you listen to music?   Let me flesh this out a bit. The whole reason why I'm on this forum is because I have music on constantly. I am a music writer, part-time, by trade. I think a lot of music writers, peers who I've asked at least, do not have anything near audiophile-grade gear. I got a friend of mine, a writer at New York Magazine, to buy the Audioengine A5, and that was a major upgrade over what he was using,...
The new Blake album is weird. It gets a lot of Bon Iver comparisons, and not unfairly. Parts of it are boring, other parts are interesting. It's not  nearly as stunning as the EPs from last year.   I'm psyched for the Panda Boy album, if it actually comes out. As well,  Kanye/Jay-Z, Toro Y Moi, Radiohead, Strokes, and Lady Gaga.
1. Notorious BIG 2. Nas (Really for just one album, but it's the best rap album of all-time.) 3. Kanye West (Screams from the haters got a nice ring to it: Five [count them, five] classic albums in a freaking row.) 4. Outkast/Wu-Tang (Groups, so tied?) 5. Jay-Z   Clearly, this leaves off all the 80s rappers, but that's how my listening history skews.
Going off the page a little bit, but I believe it's written on a stone tablet somewhere that At The Drive-In is the finest emo band of the 90s...
  Just going to throw in some recommendations, since it seems like the thrust of the posts moved away from Roots-centricity.   Yelawolf's Trunk Muzik 0-60 is a really amazing record   Kanye's MBDTF is, despite (because people are "haters") all the acclaim, really one of the transcendent rap albums of all-time. I would honestly put it up with my second-favorite (genre-blind) album of all-time, Illmatic.   Odd Future has some of the most vile, offensive raps,...
I've been searching all over the forum, and have not really turned up much. I'm debating buying the NuForce Icon 2 or the HDP.   Right now, my source are high-quality rips via MacBook. I have powered speakers, Alessandro MS1s and Sennheiser HD600s. But I do want to buy some better speakers. That makes me want to lean toward the Icon 2, since it can amplify both speakers and headphones, right?   The HDP seems to be very well-received. I do not really want to spend...
I'd like to jump into the big honking headphone game with the HD 650. If anyone has a pair they want to sell to an enthusiast audiophile, please let me know via PM.   Bought.
Also, FWIW (I know there's another thread about this, but...) the cord on the P5 is atrocious. It seems crappy--and it is. I've gone through two of them within 7 months. The first one, I was probably careless. I walk around a lot in New York, and it gets caught on things sometimes. The second one, I was very careful. It works, but the in-line mic is all messed up. (It doesn't work, and makes weird and wild adjustments to the volume.)   When I wrote in to receive another...
Ok, I have just one more question for making my burgeoning desk music system.   I already own Audioengine A5, Grado MS1, and BW P5.   I thought I'd buy a NuForce Icon HDP because it can power my existing headphones and work as preamp for my A5. (Right? Then I'd get an amp, maybe a NuForce Icon, in order to upgrade my speakers to non-powered.   Does that make sense? Thanks a lot you guys know so much about this stuff.