Posts by rx79ez08

Item: MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Location: Melbourne Item Condition: Excellent Reason for selling: Too many headphones Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only Extra Info:   First owner, the headphones is in excellent condition comes with all accessories. Always used in smoke and pet free environment.   Also will consider trade for Stax gears or Audio Technica woodies (plus or minus money from my side).
Item: Audio Technica ATH-AD2000X Location: Melbourne Item Condition: Excellent Reason for selling: Too many headphones Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only Extra Info:   Top of the line in the current Audio Technica Air Dynamic series. The only model in the series that is made in Japan. Very spacious sound stage, and unlike others in the series the treble remains well under control. First owner, the headphones is in excellent condition. Always used in...
Interesting headphones. Seem to require a bit more power than normal to driver, given it is only a 50 ohm dynamic. It benefit greatly from amp with more power. Out of the Sony ZX1 headphones and PHA-3 single ended output, it is decidedly average. The mid-range is quite muff and that was quite a major problem for me when I demoed it before.   But out of the V281 single-ended output, the mid is much clearer and there is quite a bit of bass. It is a very reasonable...
I disagree that balanced output from DAC is not beneficial.  The reason you want to go balanced is to reduce the common mode noise that can enter the system through the cable due to EMI and difference in ground potential. If you have balanced input into the system, you will by definition reduce the problem of common mode noise. Once it is inside the system where with proper design there should be good noise reduction / limitation / handling technique, and usually a solid...
Hey guys, is my listening volume very low or something.   I just got a HE-6, with DAC (Auralic Vega, balanced output) and Foobar both at 100% volume, at pre-gain of -12 I am at roughly 11 - 12 o'clock. It is actually quite loud already.
Interesting, your listen level is really quite loud then. Having said that, I think my general listen level is quite low in the first place.
This is because the SE and balanced output of the Vega are both at 4 Vrms. I believe the SE output of the M51 is the standard 2 Vrms. That means you are effectively comparing a SE output of the M51 to that you would see normally expect in a balanced output.Which explain why you see the difference. But if you compare the balanced output of a M51 to that of a Vega, the output levels are about the same.
The balanced output of Vega is high compare to a single ended DAC, but it is only 4 V compare to something like 2 V which is something like 3 dB.   I do have the a USB build-in DAC fitted to my unit, but my desktop computer generally refuse to play nice with it, so I mainly use an external DAC. The internal DAC does have a weaker output, and I will probably need to go up roughly another 1-2 hours (i.e. if I listen at 9 with external DAC, I would go to 11 with the...
Wow, you guys are listening at quite high volume.   I am using a HE560 with balanced output. With my DAC using a balanced output set at 100% volume, Foobar set at 100% volume, I am using a pre-gain of -12 and I rarely go above 9 - 10 o'clock.   With the HE560 in the unbalanced output, I rarely get above 10 - 11 o'clock.   With HD800 balanced, I usually listen at 8 - 9:30. With low impedance unbalanced headphones like TH900 and W3000 I rarely go above 8.
I have not measure the problem as analytically, but it is noticeable.   The probability of imbalance happening is probably not high, given a lot of the headphones are still going strong after more than a decade or two. But there are enough reports out there that I think people should be aware that it is a real potential problem.